Shafer | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Shafer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately SS never got VT on the schedule did he? How many underperforming SU teams have taken the Hokies behind the woodshed when they come up here? It's reached laughably peculiar levels. Seriously, it's been going on since P. VT cannot play well in the Dome on any kind of consistent basis.

So FHCSS would've beaten VT because they're VT and of course he would.

That is amazing.

That is amazing.
He would have locked em' up in the Dome and played #hardnosedfootball and won.

We have played 34 games against P5 competition under Scott Shafer.

We scored 30 points 2 times. We obviously went 2-0 in those games and 6-26 in games we didn't scored 30 points.

That is amazing.
He had a better chance against VT than he did LSU. Im not proclaiming an instant victory but it's kinda funny that VT seems to regularly trip on their own wanks when they come to the Dome. It also wasn't supposed to be taken completely seriously. We need a little levity around here right now.

Look at our 2017 and 2018 recruitment classes. Watch the film, read the articles. Tell me Dino hasn't had to carve shafer's square pegs into the ACC/p5 round hole since arriving here. I'll judge Dino once his guys take over. this isnt meant to be a knock on current players, i'd just like to see dino fit his pieces into his own scheme before judging.

He had a better chance against VT than he did LSU. Im not proclaiming an instant victory but it's kinda funny that VT seems to regularly trip on their own wanks when they come to the Dome. It also wasn't supposed to be taken completely seriously. We need a little levity around here right now.

They hadn't come here in 13+ years. We were MUCH better 13+ years ago lol

They hadn't come here in 13+ years. We were MUCH better 13+ years ago lol
No we weren't. The last time we beat them in the Dome was 2002. We were 4-8 that year with one of those wins over a horrible RI Rams teams. That was when we started losing to Temple and Rutgers. We were NOT better. We had a better running game but our passing offense back then was crap.

What's a functional D giving up 42 to Pitt instead of 77?

The talent on D was for Shafer's system and we would have been destroyed just not as quickly as we were in Ward's system.

We had the worst 3rd and long D in the nation under Shafer.

If he was the HC last year we go 3-9 last year.
Maybe he beats Wake Forest but Shafer's team loses at BC without AET and loses to VPI. He gets canned then.

This myth Shafer is bitter is so out of whack. He got 3 years he shouldn't have gotten.

I'm not sure we beat UConn. AET dominated that game as well.

Look at our 2017 and 2018 recruitment classes. Watch the film, read the articles. Tell me Dino hasn't had to carve shafer's square pegs into the ACC/p5 round hole since arriving here. I'll judge Dino once his guys take over. this isnt meant to be a knock on current players, i'd just like to see dino fit his pieces into his own scheme before judging.
Not only this, but when Dino came on board he had to run off a portion of Shafer's commitments. Where did those guys end up? Here's a hint - not other P5 schools.

The suggestion that Syracuse would have beaten VT last year just because, you know, it's VT in the Dome is just so laughably outrageous and foolish. I mean, is it some ancient curse? Perhaps something in the water at VT transcends entirely different players and coaches and systems? Maybe the curse had a thing against round numbers and skipped the year 2000. Prior to last year, the last time VT played in the Dome was 2002. But sure, the VT-iness of VT carries a ton of predictive powers. The line setters in Vegas were all over that no doubt.

Revisionist history and assumptions that have no way of being validated, board's full of Crescans today...

Look, we upgraded the HC position and downgraded the DC position. Future is still bright, it's just further away.

The staff in place is just fine... it doesn't have to turn into a dividing line on SS. Like it or not, he out coached our O on Saturday... doesn't matter, we're here and he's there.

Sure he didn't handle the criticism well and was loyal to a fault... but to paint him as a moron is ridiculous.
you've done this several times now in a few different posts.

It is Kreskin. K-R-E-S-K-I-N. Referring to (as you know) the Amazing Kreskin, the mentalist popular in the 70's.

If you are going to mock other posters on the board, you should at least get your references right.

you've done this several times now in a few different posts.

It is Kreskin. K-R-E-S-K-I-N. Referring to (as you know) the Amazing Kreskin, the mentalist popular in the 70's.

If you are going to mock other posters on the board, you should at least get your references right.
Lol, ooook... I'll make sure I'll double check Kreskin, and any other mock reference, from here on out.

At least I can't claim to be Kreskinesque, as I cannot foresee the spelling of his name.

Last edited:
Scott Shafer's recruiting classes aren't going to have a single draft pick on the roster.

Jordan Fredericks was a nice player but he is a dime a dozen in college football.

The best player on the team was a grad transfer that Dino brought in last year.

Dungey being solid is the bar we Syracuse fans have changed the goalposts too. He is solid but wow Scott Shafer's recruiting is now better.

Give me a break. The coaches in the ACC laughed at us and Shafer was a joke.
Coaches wanted him to stay as we were a tomato can.
Last game of the season your down 14 and from the opponent 30 yard line you line up for a FG and pooch punt.

The week before your down 21 points at midfield with 5 minutes left and punt on 4th and 1.

Hardnosed my a$$. He was a joke. Goodbye and be gone forever.
The longer he stayed the lower we would have fallen.
I understand what you are saying but at this moment I wish we had that dime to run the ball. We have absolutely no running game.

I understand what you are saying but at this moment I wish we had that dime to run the ball. We have absolutely no running game.
Elmore can replace Fredericks.
We need a power back with speed.

We have receiving backs in Strickland and Neal.

The OL isn't getting push though.
Some of that blame should go on the coaching but also some of the problem is the talent needs to develop.

Not only this, but when Dino came on board he had to run off a portion of Shafer's commitments. Where did those guys end up? Here's a hint - not other P5 schools.

The suggestion that Syracuse would have beaten VT last year just because, you know, it's VT in the Dome is just so laughably outrageous and foolish. I mean, is it some ancient curse? Perhaps something in the water at VT transcends entirely different players and coaches and systems? Maybe the curse had a thing against round numbers and skipped the year 2000. Prior to last year, the last time VT played in the Dome was 2002. But sure, the VT-iness of VT carries a ton of predictive powers. The line setters in Vegas were all over that no doubt.
Of course it's laughable, just like our performance last week, but it was also a fluke game. We're 1-5 against FBS competition since. CMU put up 45 against a P5 last week and have a grudge with us. Dino better grab his rabbit foot, fairy dust, toad eyes, and lizard tails because losing this week is completely unacceptable.

Of course it's laughable, just like our performance last week, but it was also a fluke game. We're 1-5 against FBS competition since. CMU put up 45 against a P5 last week and have a grudge with us. Dino better grab his rabbit foot, fairy dust, toad eyes, and lizard tails because losing this week is completely unacceptable.
Name one Scott Shafer recruit to Syracuse from his 3 recruiting classes that will be drafted by the NFL?

Name one Scott Shafer recruit to Syracuse from his 3 recruiting classes that will be drafted by the NFL

According to most on this board Dungey was headed there until Saturday

Name one Scott Shafer recruit to Syracuse from his 3 recruiting classes that will be drafted by the NFL?
A hypothetical, but it's been said that Steven, had he opted to go OL, would be a round 2-3 pick as a guard/center. But, we'll never know.

A hypothetical, but it's been said that Steven, had he opted to go OL, would be a round 2-3 pick as a guard/center. But, we'll never know.
I still think Slayton's an NFL talent. I'll take my licks for that if necessary.

JR Sweezy was a defensive tackle in college and made a pretty successful transition to guard in NFL, fwiw. Hope it all works out for him down the line, no matter what.

Win and you won't be in the soup.

Agreed. He lost games, lost the confidence of the leadership, didn't build momentum quick enough with recruiting, hired the wrong OC, and was a loose cannon with the cameras on.

People think it's W/L - but it's really "do you have the confidence of the leadership, fans, and players - that they believe you're the coach who will meet the goals of the program"

Status
Not open for further replies.