Shafer | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Shafer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah I dont sit down for milkshakes with patriots fans. Roll phins.

Scott Shafer's recruiting classes aren't going to have a single draft pick on the roster.

Jordan Fredericks was a nice player but he is a dime a dozen in college football.

The best player on the team was a grad transfer that Dino brought in last year.

Dungey being solid is the bar we Syracuse fans have changed the goalposts too. He is solid but wow Scott Shafer's recruiting is now better.

Give me a break. The coaches in the ACC laughed at us and Shafer was a joke.
Coaches wanted him to stay as we were a tomato can.
Last game of the season your down 14 and from the opponent 30 yard line you line up for a FG and pooch punt.

The week before your down 21 points at midfield with 5 minutes left and punt on 4th and 1.

Hardnosed my a$$. He was a joke. Goodbye and be gone forever.
The longer he stayed the lower we would have fallen.

Too good to let it slide. But I think Kimble was a HC freshman in 2012. Marrone was our coach and Nassib was lighting up the Big East when they still played football.

Amnesia?
Don't know why I had 2012 on the brain, i absolutely meant 2015, his last year here. Definitely my bad.

Last edited:
If you clean it up I will finish.
Try spacing things out.

Shafer was an awful hire at the time. He was hired to continue the Marrone mediocrity.
Sorry about the visual vomit, it's been cleaned up.

Don't know why I had 2012 on the brain, i absolutely meant 2014, his last year here. Definitely my bad.
Not only was the offense poor but the defense was poor the last 2 years.

Shafer could have been given another 4 years we weren't going to turn it around.
He can feel he got screwed but when no other school
Made him a HC and Syracuse did I would say he is wrong.

If you clean it up I will finish.
Try spacing things out.

Shafer was an awful hire at the time. He was hired to continue the Marrone mediocrity.
This is probably the point where we begin to disagree. I don't think what Marrone did here, at Buffalo, or now in Jax is mediocre. He rebuilt this program from ashes. Hiring from within his staff was absolutely imo the right thing to do and many many people on this board thought so too.

Scott Shafer's recruiting classes aren't going to have a single draft pick on the roster.

Jordan Fredericks was a nice player but he is a dime a dozen in college football.

The best player on the team was a grad transfer that Dino brought in last year.

Dungey being solid is the bar we Syracuse fans have changed the goalposts too. He is solid but wow Scott Shafer's recruiting is now better.

Give me a break. The coaches in the ACC laughed at us and Shafer was a joke.
Coaches wanted him to stay as we were a tomato can.
Last game of the season your down 14 and from the opponent 30 yard line you line up for a FG and pooch punt.

The week before your down 21 points at midfield with 5 minutes left and punt on 4th and 1.

Hardnosed my a$$. He was a joke. Goodbye and be gone forever.
The longer he stayed the lower we would have fallen.
We literally had a FCS coach laughing at us when he found out we offered one of the STA linemen we brought in under Shafer. The recruiting was piss poor.

Not only was the offense poor but the defense was poor the last 2 years.

Shafer could have been given another 4 years we weren't going to turn it around.
He can feel he got screwed but when no other school
Made him a HC and Syracuse did I would say he is wrong.
We aren't talking about Bill Stewart here. Nobody had made him a HC because frankly Shafer isn't all that old and was still doing the coordinator thing. I do believe that if wasn't given the gig here, he would have landed a G5 job.

Best posts my arse. Maybe you and your buds can all get together and high five each other and go share a milkshake. I'm seeing so much BS in this thread it's ridiculous.

Let's start with Shafer couldn't recruit shall we? What a bunch of BS. People are mad because we can't run the ball but if you look around the forum DB supposedly ran off our best RB in Jordan Fredricks who was recruited by Shafer. Shafer also brought in Dungey who before Saturday was being called the best SU QB since McNabb. The board went 'ing nuts over Ishmael. Remember that stud DT who was supposed to anchor our line this year but got Tucked? Yeah that was Shafer too.

As for Shafer gloating, good for him. He got completely 'ed by SU. He deserved his cigar. So many people are saying what a cluster 2014(corrected) was. Maybe some of you have very short memories but the fact is Hunt went down in the first game. Dungey was forced to play as a frosh. Then he got hurt. By the end of the season we were playing a freaking walk-on QB but people are pissed because he couldn't win a game to finish the season. Do you bozos understand we aren't a plug and play team like UM or Bama? The season was lost in 2014 when we lost our QBs. Had nothing to do with Shafer or his staff. Yeah he was learning on the job, but I have no doubts with a healthy QB he could have won more than DB last year.

As for that whole we don't need a defense because our offense is so good well guess what. Shafer's D beat Dino' O on saturday. And Dino's offense still couldn't win a game they scored over 60 points in. Fact is you don't win games with just offense or just defense. You need BOTH! I'm very afraid that Dino's defense will never be able to stand up to ACC offenses week in and week out. I haven't seen one indication of it other than him beating up some Class D high school team to open up the season.

As for this whole BS claim that he shouldn't have been given the HC position in the first place? I disagree, plenty of programs hire from within after a successful run. The fact is if Shafer didn't get the job, the entire community was practically threatening to burn down the dome. To compare him to Grob is laughable. Grob was playing his first sting QB and still couldn't gain over 100 yards, that wasn't the case with Shafer's offense. Not even close.

Greg Robinson recruited more NFL players in a bad terrible Big East than SS did in the ACC. And one of the few good kids SS brought in he almost got killed in that UL game.

Guy was completely in over his head - people got run off this site when he first started and it was happening - but Daryl Gross gave him a million bucks so there you have it.

We literally had a FCS coach laughing at us when he found out we offered one of the STA linemen we brought in under Shafer. The recruiting was piss poor.
Just curious what is STA?

Programs that hire from within don't have good things happen long term.
Miami hired Larry Coker it was dumb.
Hiring Shafer wasn't the play.

Programs that hire from within don't have good things happen long term.
Miami hired Larry Coker it was dumb.
Hiring Shafer wasn't the play.

I don't blame Gross for hiring from within when you consider that the job did not come open until January 6.

Greg Robinson recruited more NFL players in a bad terrible Big East than SS did in the ACC. And one of the few good kids SS brought in he almost got killed in that UL game.

Guy was completely in over his head - people got run off this site when he first started and it was happening - but Daryl Gross gave him a million bucks so there you have it.
Greg Robinson had the advantage of not recruiting after himself and the disaster he left. As for that UL game, I'm sorry but I don't remember P yanking our QBs when we started losing. Did DM? Seriously you let the QB take his lumps. Pulling him because you basically already lost the game is kinda crap. You don't build character from getting bailed out all the time. I don't even see this very much in the NFL where QBs are wrapped in plastic bubbles between plays.

I don't blame Gross for hiring from within when you consider that the job did not come open until January 6.
Yep - at that point, there weren't many options to be had at at that point. Of course, Hackett was an option he decided against.

We aren't talking about Bill Stewart here. Nobody had made him a HC because frankly Shafer isn't all that old and was still doing the coordinator thing. I do believe that if wasn't given the gig here, he would have landed a G5 job.
I don't think Shafer was getting a HC job.
He wasn't mentioned anywhere for a HC job. Bob Diaco had to wait longer to get a HC job when he was dominant at ND.

Also if he got a HC it would have been at the MAC level where he should have started off learning how to be a HC.

BTW I wasn't ripping Marrone by saying we were mediocre after GRob being
mediocre was great. He just didn't make us more. Shafer was bringing us back to GRob level.

Shafer's ceiling is MAC level head coach. His recruiting was MAC level. His coaching staff was MAC level. Hell, he might have even been ok if we stuck in the Big East/American and he could hide his weaknesses against Temple and UCONN twice a year. But we didn't.

He was not an ACC caliber head coach and it was apparent with the multiple blow outs including Georgia Tech and FSU in the first season.

Shafer's ceiling is MAC level head coach. His recruiting was MAC level. His coaching staff was MAC level. Hell, he might have even been ok if we stuck in the Big East/American and he could hide his weaknesses against Temple and UCONN twice a year. But we didn't.

He was not an ACC caliber head coach and it was apparent with the multiple blow outs including Georgia Tech in the first season.
Heck based on those standards, DB isn't an ACC caliber HC either given how many blowouts we experienced in his first season. Shafer was able to at least make us feel like we were in the game against Clemson and FSU. Games were over by the first quarter last year. This isn't a call for Dino's head, but it is me asking why it's ok for Dino to get blown out but not SS.

I mentioned 5 guys I would have pursued.

Bob Diaco, Tom Herman, Dan Mullen, Randy Edsall, Chad Morris.

Now 3 of them were good and 2 were bad.
But still we had other options.
Where did I say we had no other options?

Greg Robinson had the advantage of not recruiting after himself and the disaster he left. As for that UL game, I'm sorry but I don't remember P yanking our QBs when we started losing. Did DM? Seriously you let the QB take his lumps. Pulling him because you basically already lost the game is kinda crap. You don't build character from getting bailed out all the time. I don't even see this very much in the NFL where QBs are wrapped in plastic bubbles between plays.

?

Shafer followed Marrone, who was either winning or putting out a competitive team. His class fell apart because we wanted to go in a different direction, which became rather undefined.

Marrone played 2 QBs his first year. Nassib was an ironman for the most part, rare to find.

Dungey already had the first bad injury so yeah, protect the kid.

?

Shafer followed Marrone, who was either winning or putting out a competitive team. His class fell apart because we wanted to go in a different direction, which became rather undefined.

Marrone played 2 QBs his first year. Nassib was an ironman for the most part, rare to find.

Dungey already had the first bad injury so yeah, protect the kid.

He was a freshman. He needed game reps. You leave him in. I'll stand by it all day.

Gross should have hired Phil Montgomery in 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom