Shafer | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Shafer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gross should have hired Phil Montgomery in 2013.
No way. They guy has had the advantage of recruiting the state of Texas his entire coaching career. You know Texas, comparable only to Florida in the number of football players it churns out? There is absolutely no reason to think he could have moved this far north and had anywhere near the same level of success.

That move helped get him fired.

yeah by Coyle. Coyle is a massengill who was looking for an excuse to bring in his own guy then ran out the back door in the middle of the night.

Heck based on those standards, DB isn't an ACC caliber HC either given how many blowouts we experienced in his first season. Shafer was able to at least make us feel like we were in the game against Clemson and FSU. Games were over by the first quarter last year. This isn't a call for Dino's head, but it is me asking why it's ok for Dino to get blown out but not SS.

Not in his first year facing those teams. It was a bloodbath, just like with HCDB.

Wow. So many people who rag on SS's tenure now were totally "shut up this is awesome" back then.

I've been pretty straight up about my support and then when I lost faith in the guy, so if that was for me... I think it's cool to change as you gain more info/data to inform your opinion.

I've been pretty straight up about my support and then when I lost faith in the guy, so if that was for me... I think it's cool to change as you gain more info/data to inform your opinion.

Nah you were positive but weren't dismissive of Alsacs' concern. Other people were straight up Koolaid drinking fools.

I was neutral to Shafer but I thought the people who explained how this was Gross's succession plan all along were FoS.

Sometimes it's fun to go down memory lane, cringe and all.

If we kept Shafer another year we would have went 1-11 last year. There's no way we score enough to beat BC or UConn and there's no way we would have beat VT in the dome.

Wow. So many people who rag on SS's tenure now were totally "shut up this is awesome" back then.
I was on an island when I wasn't in favor of Shafer's hiring.

A losing team and a coach who was over his head are solid reasons. And Coyle was good enough to get a B1G job.

Put it this way - the AD that hired SS - where is he now?
Buried under the Basketball scandal? What's your point. Where he is now had nothing to do with football and everything to do with the basketball.

Revisionist history and assumptions that have no way of being validated, board's full of Crescans today...

Look, we upgraded the HC position and downgraded the DC position. Future is still bright, it's just further away.

The staff in place is just fine... it doesn't have to turn into a dividing line on SS. Like it or not, he out coached our O on Saturday... doesn't matter, we're here and he's there.

Sure he didn't handle the criticism well and was loyal to a fault... but to paint him as a moron is ridiculous.

Buried under the Basketball scandal? What's your point. Where he is now had nothing to do with football and everything to do with the basketball.

That was just one nail in the coffin. The dude spent money like a drunken sailor. He would have been gone because of football and his horrible budgeting eventually.

Not at all. He came here with the intent of this being a stepping stone. He has Robinson and Shafer on his fb resume.

In his defense the guy who was supposed to fix football probably should not have come from an extremely wealthy school 3k miles away that cheated.

If we kept Shafer another year we would have went 1-11 last year. There's no way we score enough to beat BC or UConn and there's no way we would have beat VT in the dome.

The difference is last year we would have had a functional defense. We did not last year, not at all. We don't score 60+ against Pitt but we don't give up 70+ either. We also still have Jordan Fredricks and Robert Washington as our RBs so that aspect of the roster would have looked completely different. Strickland probably plays H-back where is he WAY better suited. We would have hid the deficiencies on the OL using Lester's option offense. There is absolutely no real way to compare. Completely different looking teams, identities, etc.

That was just one nail in the coffin. The dude spent money like a drunken sailor. He would have been gone because of football and his horrible budgeting eventually.
He spent money like it needed to be spent. Jake's Ebeneezer tendencies are what buried this program to begin with and somebody needed to bring this program into the modern century. Or maybe you like playing on AstroTurf with green spray paint in the endzones?

The difference is last year we would have had a functional defense. We did not last year, not at all. We don't score 60+ against Pitt but we don't give up 70+ either. We also still have Jordan Fredricks and Robert Washington as our RBs so that aspect of the roster would have looked completely different. Strickland probably plays H-back where is he WAY better suited. We would have hid the deficiencies on the OL using Lester's option offense. There is absolutely no real way to compare. Completely different looking teams, identities, etc.

That horrible defense gave up 17 to VT in the dome. You think we could have done better? That competent defense in 2015 was 90th in the country in scoring.

That horrible defense gave up 17 to VT in the dome. You think we could have done better? That competent defense in 2015 was 90th in the country in scoring.
Way to cherry pick. Yeah we had a great day against VT team who had mailed it in before ever getting on campus. Here's the points given up in our other games:
7, 62, 45, 24, 50, 28, 20, 54, 35, 45, and 76. So basically we held an opponent to under 20 points exactly twice last year. VT and an FCS team. The D was fecal last year.

What's a functional D giving up 42 to Pitt instead of 77?

The talent on D was for Shafer's system and we would have been destroyed just not as quickly as we were in Ward's system.

We had the worst 3rd and long D in the nation under Shafer.

If he was the HC last year we go 3-9 last year.
Maybe he beats Wake Forest but Shafer's team loses at BC without AET and loses to VPI. He gets canned then.

This myth Shafer is bitter is so out of whack. He got 3 years he shouldn't have gotten.

Not trying to change the subject but did it ever come out why Shafer resigned from the Maryland DC job?

"mailed it in."

Dino was very lucky to get a team like that... Apparently not a single ranked team "mailed it in" in three years of Scott Shafer's tenure.
Unfortunately SS never got VT on the schedule did he? How many underperforming SU teams have taken the Hokies behind the woodshed when they come up here? It's reached laughably peculiar levels. Seriously, it's been going on since P. VT cannot play well in the Dome on any kind of consistent basis.

What's a functional D giving up 42 to Pitt instead of 77?

The talent on D was for Shafer's system and we would have been destroyed just not as quickly as we were in Ward's system.

We had the worst 3rd and long D in the nation under Shafer.

If he was the HC last year we go 3-9 last year.
Maybe he beats Wake Forest but Shafer's team loses at BC without AET and loses to VPI. He gets canned then.

This myth Shafer is bitter is so out of whack. He got 3 years he shouldn't have gotten.
This is pretty easy. Functional Defense is not giving up 50+ points 5 times per year. You shouldn't give up that many points ever, but each time you do is an indictment of your abilities. Dino has not proven he can coach against ACC offenses yet. One VT game doesn't get it done.

This is pretty easy. Functional Defense is not giving up 50+ points 5 times per year. You shouldn't give up that many points ever, but each time you do is an indictment of your abilities. Dino has not proven he can coach against ACC offenses yet. One VT game doesn't get it done.
Shafer had more blowouts.
Northwestern
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Florida State
Maryland
Louisville(ISIS game)
Florida State
Pittsburgh(the most pathetic game in the last decade)
South Florida
Florida State
Louisville(Dungey left in game)
NC State

The program was going backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.