Shafer | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Shafer

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Living in the past losers" lol

I don't think anyone here really thinks about him aside from when we play his team and lose to his defense that fakes injuries and cheap shots guys he hugged pregame while he runs through the Dome with a cigar like low-class clown show.

All fair.

Just far more ticked off that Syracuse showed up the way they did then anything the Middle Tennessee defensive coordinator did.

Say what you want about Shafer. Dirty players? Sure. Cheated with stall tactics? Yep.

I saw a far less talented team eviscerate a better team. They weren't bigger or stronger or faster. They wanted it more, they played harder, they talked more smack, and they lined up and did whatever they had to do to beat the guy in front of them.

At the end of the day, he did what he had to do to win. He did the same crap when he coached here, and no one had a problem with it then.

Less talented? Their WR's were capable of running a deep route, getting behind the DBs and catching the ball when it hit their hands, thus breaking a long play. Ours were not. How were they less talented?

All fair.

Just far more ticked off that Syracuse showed up the way they did then anything the Middle Tennessee defensive coordinator did.

Syracuse showing up the way they did is largely the fault of the Middle Tennessee defensive coordinator. He recruited most of this roster. We are incredibly weak at WR, OL, RB, and DB. We probably don't have a future NFL player among our upperclassmen. Middle Tenn. St. had just as much or more talent than us.

Syracuse showing up the way they did is largely the fault of the Middle Tennessee defensive coordinator. He recruited most of this roster. We are incredibly weak at WR, OL, RB, and DB. We probably don't have a future NFL player among our upperclassmen. Middle Tenn. St. had just as much or more talent than us.

I respectively disagree. Franklin and Slayton are NFL probables.

Shafer is still the goat for SU football? Dino should send him a box of cigars.

I respectively disagree. Franklin and Slayton are NFL probables.

Maybe. I hope so. They're good, solid players. But...
Nfldraftscout has Franklin as the #37 ILB, and Slayton as the #34 DT. Now that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Just an indicator though.

Took over a bowl team, left it a 3-9 mess with no NFL draft picks on the roster except for the punter.

This isn't bball. Takes a couple years at least to turn a crappy program around. Funny how they were just talking about the "sack Mac pack" on the broadcast.

At least GRob left Mike Williams and Delone Carter behind. Shafer didn't leave a WR or RB with even an ounce of the ability that those two guys had.

Last edited:
Took over a bowl team, left it a 3-9 mess with no NFL draft picks on the roster except for the punter.

This isn't bball. Takes a couple years at least to turn a crappy program around. Funny how they were just talking about the "sack Mac pack" on the broadcast.

At least GRob left Mike Williams and Delone Carter behind. Shafer didn't leave a WR or RB with even an ounce of the ability that those two guys had.

And Grob left Pugh, Nassib and Lemon.

tumblr_lpyw2pNhaZ1r0w4bgo1_500.jpg

Franklin isn't getting drafted.

Slayton has like a chance but unless he gets better won't.

Possibly but I feel they have a solid shot at NFL rosters.

Watch the pressgame interviews. Babers said they weren't ready to deal with playing Shafer and it took them out of their game mentally. Asked a follow up question, and he said the missed reads at QB and the drops were all mental.

Then watch the interviews with the players. Bennett's reaction to that same question made it clear. He was really happy to see Shafer and then said it was weird to play against him and he thought about it more than he should. Thomas's voice got emotional when he talked about Shafer.

This was a blip. An oddity.

Hopefully that cigar closed the door on all that era.

Possibly but I feel they have a solid shot at NFL rosters.

Even if true, the point remains. If our best guys are ones who might possibly be late round picks, and more likely will be undrafted FA's with a chance to stick...we don't have all that much talent in the upper classes.

Even if true, the point remains. If our best guys are ones who might possibly be late round picks, and more likely will be undrafted FA's with a chance to stick...we don't have all that much talent in the upper classes.

I don't disagree with that, but that wasn't what was said.

Scott Shafer's recruiting is why this roster is playing more underclassmen.

I mean the Shafer people don't realize our talent isn't P5 level right now.
It's AAC level talent. That had a MAC staff recruiting them.

Dino is getting our talent level up.
Dino was the first Syracuse coach to sign an ESPN top 300 recruit in Tommy DeVito.

Dino has two top 300 verbals now and another 4 star recruit. This recruiting class is actually legit. It's not top 25 level but it's P5 quality.

The problem is the roster's upperclassmen aren't ACC level across the board.

Dino was the first Syracuse coach to sign an ESPN top 300 recruit in Tommy DeVito.

Dino has two top 300 verbals now and another 4 star recruit. This recruiting class is actually legit. It's not top 25 level but it's P5 quality.

You have to have coaches in place for more than 3 or 4 years for the recruiting pipeline to want to send guys there.

I just looked at our 2009 roster, even leaving out kids like Shamarko that Marrone brought in, he was left with WAY more talent than Dino was by Shafer and Dino has to play in the best division in college football. Jones brothers, Hogue, Smith, Marinovich, Thomas, Sales plus kids mentioned above.

Watch the pressgame interviews. Babers said they weren't ready to deal with playing Shafer and it took them out of their game mentally. Asked a follow up question, and he said the missed reads at QB and the drops were all mental.

Then watch the interviews with the players. Bennett's reaction to that same question made it clear. He was really happy to see Shafer and then said it was weird to play against him and he thought about it more than he should. Thomas's voice got emotional when he talked about Shafer.

This was a blip. An oddity.

Hopefully that cigar closed the door on all that era.

Do you think it was a strategy move for Shafer to chat with the guys before the game? Maybe I'm reading too much into it. At first I half thought "well, ain't that sweet" but after the game, the cigar, and his comments post game I'm starting to think he was using as a mind-fudge.

Either way, what grinds me most is that he still had fans sticking up for him as a person before the game. There seemed to be a consensus of respect on this board for his return... then he showed his true colors and spat on us. For the record, I was pretty upset when he was fired (emotional reasons only, he was my first CFB coach and intro to SU). Now I wish he would have tripped down the stairs on his way out...

Less talented? Their WR's were capable of running a deep route, getting behind the DBs and catching the ball when it hit their hands, thus breaking a long play. Ours were not. How were they less talented?
How do you run a deep route when you have 2 seconds to get the ball out? Even in a Ferarri...0 to 60 takes 3.6.

Absolutely. This "coach 'em up" stuff people spout only goes so far.

Like...Marrone(and Shafer) "coached em up" in comparison to GRob. But we're talking Williams, Carter, Hogue, Arthur Jones...these were legit college studs and clear NFL talent. Difference makers. Guys who could've started for anybody. We at least had a few of them.

Meanwhile...now we haven't had a position player selected since 2014. Talent level that Babers took over was much lower than what Marrone and Shafer took over. Our difference making talent last year was a Maryland backup. And he was our best guy!

How do you run a deep route when you have 2 seconds to get the ball out?

Good point. Our OL is even worse than our WRs. Last year we at least had two guys who could get behind the defense and catch it and take it to the house(Etta Tawo and Estime). This year we appear to have zero guys that can do that. But at least we do have two adequate possession receivers. That's more than we have on the OL. But not more than what MTSU had at WR.

Absolutely. This "coach 'em up" stuff people spout only goes so far.

Like...Marrone(and Shafer) "coached em up" in comparison to GRob. But we're talking Williams, Carter, Hogue, Arthur Jones...these were legit college studs and clear NFL talent. Difference makers. Guys who could've started for anybody. We at least had a few of them.

Meanwhile...now we haven't had a position player selected since 2014. Talent level that Babers took over was much lower than what Marrone and Shafer took over. Our difference making talent last year was a Maryland backup. And he was our best guy!
How many players has Middle Tennesee had drafted? Ever?

How many players has Middle Tennesee had drafted? Ever?

Don't know, but they had a couple WRs who could run faster than our DBs and catch the ball. And their front 7 tossed around our OL. And their RB at least looked like a real RB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom