Shirt World On Marshall St... | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Shirt World On Marshall St...

I'm not watching the clip of that low-life, but what you say makes sense.

I happen to enjoy the pizza at Varsity. But if you've heard about this epic "Varsity Pizza*, since 1926" place that gets all the airplay during TV hoops games, built up expectations, and then were served a slice there, you'd be right to be pretty let down, I imagine.

*It isn't actually called "Varsity Pizza." And the pizza is an afterthought that only came into play in the mid-'70s.
I like Varsity for the atmosphere and the efficiency. You’ll go in there and see a huge line, but you’re never waiting for more than a few minutes to get your slices. They do a great job of getting people through. Love the flipping banners tradition, they used to often have some of the band in there playing after games, Adam Schein used to do his show from there, etc….it’s a place that contributes to the atmosphere of an SU game.

The pizza itself is fine - I’m usually eating it outside on the sidewalk, or while walking to the Dome, so in that setting it just needs to be “good”.

I'm not watching the clip of that low-life, but what you say makes sense.

I happen to enjoy the pizza at Varsity. But if you've heard about this epic "Varsity Pizza*, since 1926" place that gets all the airplay during TV hoops games, built up expectations, and then were served a slice there, you'd be right to be pretty let down, I imagine.

*It isn't actually called "Varsity Pizza." And the pizza is an afterthought that only came into play in the mid-'70s.

It’s been a long time admittedly since I had pizza there but the best thing about the place imo was the Pictures and old cartoons of Coach Mac and Boeheim on the wall.

And not to take this into “Hot take” territory but I feel like going to SU and eating pizza at Varsity is kind of like going to Philly and having a cheesesteak at Pats. It’s kind of what your supposed to do I guess. But there are better options.

You go to Varsity for the atmosphere, first. And, you never know who will show up when you're there. You don't go specifically for the pizza, generally. You grab a slice or two while you wait for your wings to be ready. A 6.5 for the pizza seems fair.

And the pizza is an afterthought that only came into play in the mid-'70s.
Not really true. I was a student before that and I don't recall there being much other than pizza there. No way it was an afterthought. After studying, it was a common ritual for us to hit The Varsity for a pizza and a pitcher. And of course, The Dingleman (I was partial to the Wimpy Wagon) on Comstock between Watson and Dellplain was also a constant. In fact, when I had a heart cath two years ago, the cardiologist said "I keep seeing layers of plaque with the words "cheese jaw" on them. "Yeah, I have been expecting that for many decades now" was my only reply. My family doctor would always say "man, you are in great shape and no risk factors for anything." I would give him a sad smile, knowing that metric tons of cheese jaws seasoned with grease and exhaust fumes from the Wimpy Wagon were playing the waiting game.

I don't eat much pizza anymore, but to this day, pizza from The Varsity is my favorite in the world. Is it the best pizza? No, of course not. But it is my favorite for sentimental reasons. Looking forward to a slice in a few weeks.

Not really true. I was a student before that and I don't recall there being much other than pizza there. No way it was an afterthought. After studying, it was a common ritual for us to hit The Varsity for a pizza and a pitcher. And of course, The Dingleman (I was partial to the Wimpy Wagon) on Comstock between Watson and Dellplain was also a constant. In fact, when I had a heart cath two years ago, the cardiologist said "I keep seeing layers of plaque with the words "cheese jaw" on them. "Yeah, I have been expecting that for many decades now" was my only reply. My family doctor would always say "man, you are in great shape and no risk factors for anything." I would give him a sad smile, knowing that metric tons of cheese jaws seasoned with grease and exhaust fumes from the Wimpy Wagon were playing the waiting game.

I don't eat much pizza anymore, but to this day, pizza from The Varsity is my favorite in the world. Is it the best pizza? No, of course not. But it is my favorite for sentimental reasons. Looking forward to a slice in a few weeks.

That makes perfect sense.

Also cheese jaws sound awesome and totally worth it.

That makes perfect sense.

Also cheese jaws sound awesome and totally worth it.
There were Jawbreakers and Cheese Jaws. A Jawbreaker was a sub roll with two big greasy burgers placed side by side. A Cheese Jaw was the same only the burgers were topped with cheese. And these were not Class AAA ground beef we are talking about...they were probably dead squirrels procured from Oakwood Cemetery or something. Still, these particular insanities were haute cuisine to the likes of 18 year old me.

In addition to the food trucks, I recall them being served at Jabberwocky as well. Of course, Jabberwocky didn't have the exhaust fumes to season the masterpiece but then again, the food trucks didn't have some of the greatest musical artists (often on the cusp of fame and starhood) to listen to while you were stuffing your face.

There were Jawbreakers and Cheese Jaws. A Jawbreaker was a sub roll with two big greasy burgers placed side by side. A Cheese Jaw was the same only the burgers were topped with cheese. And these were not Class AAA ground beef we are talking about...they were probably dead squirrels procured from Oakwood Cemetery or something. Still, these particular insanities were haute cuisine to the likes of 18 year old me.

In addition to the food trucks, I recall them being served at Jabberwocky as well. Of course, Jabberwocky didn't have the exhaust fumes to season the masterpiece but then again, the food trucks didn't have some of the greatest musical artists (often on the cusp of fame and starhood) to listen to while you were stuffing your face.

As a general rule being from a food truck ads a little more.

Probably the exhaust.

For the youngsters, here is a picture of the infamous Wimpy's Wagon. Interesting that John Desko once was a co-owner, and manned the truck 3 night a week.

For the youngsters, here is a picture of the infamous Wimpy's Wagon. Interesting that John Desko once was a co-owner, and manned the truck 3 night a week.

When I was a student, the truck was smaller, it looked well-aged/barely able to run even then and had big blue lettering if I recall. That photo of The Wimpy Wagon from '87 was similar to what the more upscale Dingeman truck looked like when I was at SU.

I always enjoyed the burgers at Varsity more than anything else. Acropolis was my stop if I wanted a local pizza (but honestly, usually just opted for Domino’s since it was so insanely cheap).

Years? I have it on pretty good authority that they only added pizza ovens in '71. They used "coffeeshop" in their advertising before then and while the menu wasn't identical it was the same cafeteria-line grill setup in the rear.

Agree fully with your last paragraph.

I always enjoyed the burgers at Varsity more than anything else. Acropolis was my stop if I wanted a local pizza (but honestly, usually just opted for Domino’s since it was so insanely cheap).

Burgers at Varsity are where it's at. Beef is far from high-quality, but that grill is ripping hot and the whole-leaf lettuce and New York Bakery rolls make for a good combo.

Burgers at Varsity are where it's at. Beef is far from high-quality, but that grill is ripping hot and the whole-leaf lettuce and New York Bakery rolls make for a good combo.
I’m a sucker for any place that has those huge flat grills and flattens the patties with what looks like an iron lol

Absolutely. The best. Even though the guy at the front is like Mario from Seinfeld in the frogger episode. “Here’s your pizza pea brains”
I already feel bad enough about myself when I walk in to purchase a personal large pie. A little sass at the counter never hurt nobody. I even welcome it.

Speaking of food trucks that "add a little more," - who remembers Ziggy's Wagon?

One of my highlights at school was seeing Ziggy show up to a party on South Campus wearing his ankle bracelet

I am not familiar but you have my attention lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom