Shirt World On Marshall St... | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Shirt World On Marshall St...

That went about as well as expected. Back to lurker mode for another 15 years or so.

No Gucci gear here. Picked the name due to my 8 year old talking about Gucci this and that. Darn YouTube.
Good natured kidding. Hang in there and post again soon.

Would not recommend defending Georgetown or Rutgers though... ;)

What is Dave some Nike mule that gets only things that the others only dream about? In this day and age how can a former kicker who scams everyone have the golden ticket to unique nike clothing?
he does trust me...

what was the name of that hole in wall sub shop/pizza joint adjacent to marshall on crouse?

it was there in the 80's and made the best steak and cheese. i think it was a bunch of imported spices that made it delish.

i remember seeing seikaly in there late one night. i think he was speaking greek.
Pretty sure you're talking about Acropolis. Used to be my backup slice spot if varsity line was too long.

Good natured kidding. Hang in there and post again soon.

Would not recommend defending Georgetown or Rutgers though... ;)

Understood. As a new poster I forgot to use sarcasm font on the “Back to lurker mode ...”.

I would never defend Gtown. I know what time it is!

Actually one of the Ts I picked up from Shirt World back in the day was the “Your mother is a Hoya”

Had an ongoing shirt bet with a friend in high school who was a Hoya fan and made him wear that shirt several times.

Pretty sure you're talking about Acropolis. Used to be my backup slice spot if varsity line was too long.
Cosmos? I always considered Acropolis more pizza focused, while Cosmos had more of a variety. Although both were on Marshall, and he said it was on Crouse.

Edit: I'm changing my answer. Didn't notice the line about speaking Greek

Cosmos? I always considered Acropolis more pizza focused, while Cosmos had more of a variety. Although both were on Marshall, and he said it was on Crouse.

Cosmos was down on Marshall too between Shirt World and Manny's. The Greek part definitely made me think Acropolis though it was past Manny's going away from Crouse.

I remember Zorba's in the alley behind Varsity and the head shop on S.Crouse.They had the best heated subs but I don't remember if Zorba's had pizza. Do any SU alums from the 80s remember if Zorba did pizza?

Cosmos was down on Marshall too between Shirt World and Manny's. The Greek part definitely made me think Acropolis though it was past Manny's going away from Crouse.
Cosmos pizza was trash, never understood why everyone raved about it. Varsity was much better and was worth the wait.

I had a friend who worked for Dave for maybe half a shift (if that) in college. She learned more about how not to run a business and engage with customers in those few hours than she probably has since.

Cosmos pizza was trash, never understood why everyone raved about it. Varsity was much better and was worth the wait.
Agreed on the pizza, but Cosmos had some other good stuff that you could get instead. A Rueben that included bacon. Even a replica Thanksgiving dinner! It was more like a diner that happened to serve pizza. Varsity #1, then Acropolis for me.

I remember Zorba's in the alley behind Varsity and the head shop on S.Crouse.They had the best heated subs but I don't remember if Zorba's had pizza. Do any SU alums from the 80s remember if Zorba did pizza?
Yes. Super-greasy pizza. Wasn't a fan.
To each his own I guess. I loved Cosmos' pizza. The V was a close second.

My favorite though (and I'm sure I'm dating myself), was Butch's Pizza over on Wescott St. A bit spicy for some, but delicious.

Agreed on the pizza, but Cosmos had some other good stuff that you could get instead. A Rueben that included bacon. Even a replica Thanksgiving dinner! It was more like a diner that happened to serve pizza. Varsity #1, then Acropolis for me.
No doubt, my go to food was the humdinger and fries from Varsity. Fried chicken sandwich, dunked in wing sauce with blue cheese. Damn solid

I really didn't care for Cosmo's sauce, but these things are subjective of course.

I do miss the vibe (and deep, solid-quality menu) of that type of old-timey luncheonette, though. It's a dying breed.

Anyone remember Archie's pizza? How about Yosh's (think that was how it was spelled) pizza? Both were on Marshall.
How about Bragg's and Bugsy's bars down on S. Crouse?
There was also a store in the alley near Varsity with vintage albums/cassettes. I got some bootleg Who concerts on tape (including a live performance of Tommy), and a copy of Keith Moon's solo album.

Breakfast at Cosmos ending with a legendary Toasted Honey Bun was a great experience!
The THB! When I'd go to games with my Uncle when I was young, a post-game THB was automatic.

Yes they did.

Anyone remember Archie's pizza? How about Yosh's (think that was how it was spelled) pizza? Both were on Marshall.
How about Bragg's and Bugsy's bars down on S. Crouse?
There was also a store in the alley near Varsity with vintage albums/cassettes. I got some bootleg Who concerts on tape (including a live performance of Tommy), and a copy of Keith Moon's solo album.

Yash made a great slice

We’re using past tense...neither Cosmos or Acropolis is there anymore? This saddens me. Marshall Street sucks now.

We’re using past tense...neither Cosmos or Acropolis is there anymore? This saddens me. Marshall Street sucks now.
Correct. Varsity and Faegans are about the extent of my quick stops before games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom