Shot Clock coming for 2019 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Shot Clock coming for 2019

Regardless, it is obviously going to be harder for a team to stall out the last 60 or 90 seconds of a game, if it has to keep it in the box, as opposed to being allowed to run around the whole offensive end of the field.

The NCAA rules committee has passed a 60 shot clock for men’s lacrosse to use beginning in the upcoming 2019 season, sources have told College Crosse.

The shot clock would start after the ball crosses midfield. On a clear, teams now have 20 seconds to push the ball to the other half of the field. Any reset, whether it’s a shot on goal or a loose ball push, will reset the clock back to 60 seconds.

The NCAA rules committee has passed a 60 shot clock for men’s lacrosse to use beginning in the upcoming 2019 season, sources have told College Crosse.

The shot clock would start after the ball crosses midfield. On a clear, teams now have 20 seconds to push the ball to the other half of the field. Any reset, whether it’s a shot on goal or a loose ball push, will reset the clock back to 60 seconds.

Surprised they went to 60 seconds and shortened the sub box, I like it but didn't think they would go that far. This is disaster for the slow down teams, a worse case scenario. One thing this does is make clearing a bit easier as you don't need to get it in the box anymore just over the midfield line.

Surprised they went to 60 seconds and shortened the sub box, I like it but didn't think they would go that far. This is disaster for the slow down teams, a worse case scenario. One thing this does is make clearing a bit easier as you don't need to get it in the box anymore just over the midfield line.

Uniform 60 is easier to administrate than 90/60.

snoopy.png

Love the box going back to 10 yards, puts more emphasis on the mid line sub and speed to get off. Looking forward to this change

I guess I kind of like it but I'm pretty shocked they went this far. The way the coaches/twitter media were talking about the recent meetings it seemed like the consensus was to just bring some consistency to the game that was impossible with the refs choosing the stall time on their own. All that seemed to heavily hint at 90 seconds once the team clears the ball, or mayyybe 90 or 100 seconds total, or something like 75 or 80 after the ball is cleared. Then all of a sudden BOOM! The game has changed forever. By 60 seconds into a possession the last few years, refs were maybe just starting to think about starting the stall clock, no matter how lazy the offense was, and they would wait even longer, sometimes way longer, if you took a shot remotely close to the goal at some point in the first minute. To go from that at 60 seconds to a definitive buzzer will have an absolutely huge impact. Still processing my thoughts on all this but all I know for sure is next year won't look like the last few years but with more consistency. It may look like a totally different sport.

Excited about the new rules. Agree with CreaseRat, the shrinking of the box is an under appreciated aspect of the change. Felt like a lot of potential fast breaks were quickly quelled due to subs being able to catch up to the ball on turnovers.

Surprisingly conflicted about the shot clock. I think I'd rather have it than not, but I do worry about teams exclusively using zone defenses, and worry that we are diminishing some teams "individuality" by forcing them to play at a certain pace. I could be totally wrong. Making the refs responsible for timer on did not seem like something that was sustainable.

As for how it affects this current Syracuse team I think it is good for the team because A) they have depth and a B) a coach who isn't afraid to use it. However they have been playing a very very slow pace these past few years and I wonder how the coaching staff will transition back to playing a faster speed. Also, if more teams play zone defense, I don't see a starting player at least being the patented "zone buster" that a Derek DeJoe , Dan Hardy or Nate Mariano was. Would be interested if this opens things up for a Lucas Quinn or David Lipka.

Anyways, things to ponder.

Last edited:
Uniform 60 is easier to administrate than 90/60.
When you think about it, it's 80/60 but you don't get to bank any extra time for a quick clear. It's going to do a lot to bring in more 2-way middies.

Here's a more cynical and bleak view from the Loyola head coach in that Baltimore Sun article.

“We’re going to over coach this thing,” said Toomey, who jokingly described himself as an “old fuddy-duddy.” “We’re going to think about it and sit in our offices every day and figure out ways to play within the rules and find ways to benefit our own teams. We’re all going to get our players on the field. It’s not going to turn our sport into two-way middies that are all of a sudden going to be great defensive and offensive middies. That’s not going to happen. What’s going to happen is, we’re going to end up rolling the ball to the corner of the field at the end of a shot clock to get our players on the field, and I don’t think it’s going to make the game something that is exciting to watch from a fan’s perspective.”

I hope he's wrong and there is too much incentive to add two way players, but he may have a point.

I'd almost concede the ride from the midfield and have them either sub fast or get back and D up.

These rules will change the game, so it will be super interesting to see how teams adapt.

The return of the 2 way middie ? yay

Here's a more cynical and bleak view from the Loyola head coach in that Baltimore Sun article.

“We’re going to over coach this thing,” said Toomey, who jokingly described himself as an “old fuddy-duddy.” “We’re going to think about it and sit in our offices every day and figure out ways to play within the rules and find ways to benefit our own teams. We’re all going to get our players on the field. It’s not going to turn our sport into two-way middies that are all of a sudden going to be great defensive and offensive middies. That’s not going to happen. What’s going to happen is, we’re going to end up rolling the ball to the corner of the field at the end of a shot clock to get our players on the field, and I don’t think it’s going to make the game something that is exciting to watch from a fan’s perspective.”

I hope he's wrong and there is too much incentive to add two way players, but he may have a point.

the lacrosse version of a punt? Do you keep it in bounds or throw it out of bounds?

Last edited:
College lacrosse: 60-second shot clock proposed in men’s lacrosse

Full NCAA Release

The NCAA Men’s Lacrosse Rules Committee has recommended both a visible 60-second shot clock on every possession and rules changes to allow offenses more flexibility around the crease beginning with the 2019 regular season.

If approved next month by the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Committee, the shot clock will follow a 20-second clearing count, during which players must advance the ball across the midfield line with the over-and-back provision in effect.

The committee, which met this week in Indianapolis, made the proposal after several years of experimentation and discussion. In the annual rules survey, 62 percent of coaches indicated support for a shot clock on every possession, including 71 percent of Division I coaches.

“It was clear to the committee that the majority of the lacrosse community felt strongly that a shot clock was needed to properly manage today’s game,” said Rob Randall, chair of the committee and head coach at Nazareth. “In our discussions, we debated many different options and reviewed the experiments that took place in the fall. Ultimately, we believe our proposal will continue the evolution of our sport.”

All of the committee’s proposals will be distributed to the NCAA membership to collect feedback. The committee will view the comments and move its final proposals to PROP for review Sept. 12.

Under the proposal, a team will have 20 seconds to cross the midfield line when it gains possession in its defensive half of the field. If a team fails to clear the defensive half of the field, the ball is awarded to the opposing team. The referees will keep this time on the field, as they do currently.

After advancing the ball to the offensive half the visible 60-second shot clock will start. If the offensive team regains possession after satisfying the shot clock, such as with a save, rebound off goal, etc., the shot clock will reset to 60 seconds. If no shot is taken in the 60 seconds, the defending team will be awarded possession.

“A key part of this situation is resetting the shot clock,” said Willie Scroggs, secretary-rules editor. “This proposal achieves the committee’s goals and will be easy to understand for student-athletes, coaches and fans.”

To address plays after a faceoff, the committee identified several situations and rulings:

• The player gaining possession during the faceoff may carry or pass the ball from the offensive half of the field to its defensive half of the field once without over-and-back being in effect. However, the ball must be advanced to the offensive half within the 20-second clearing count.
  • In addition, when the player gaining possession during the faceoff in his offensive half advances the ball past his offensive restraining line, the 60-second shot clock will start.
  • If the player gaining possession during the faceoff in his offensive end passes the ball to a teammate in the offensive half of the field, the 60-second shot clock will start.
Play Around the Crease
The committee adjusted its rules governing plays around the crease. In its proposal, if a player leaves his feet under his own volition in a direction away from the goal mouth and the ball enters the goal before he touches the crease, the goal will count. Additionally, a player that dives in the direction of the goal mouth will receive a one-minute penalty.

"Again, the membership was strongly supportive of finding ways to reward some extremely athletic moves around the goal,” Randall said. “The committee believes it has achieved this, while continuing to protect the players.”

Sportsmanship
The committee identified sportsmanship as a point of emphasis for the upcoming season, paying particular attention to teams crossing at the end of the game and establishing a neutral area at midfield for pregame warmups.

Substitution
The committee proposed reducing the substitution box to 10 yards. That area is currently 20 yards. The committee believes the change potentially will allow more transition opportunities to occur.

Video replay review
With the new shot clock procedure, the committee recommended making the release of a shot before the expiration of the shot clock a reviewable play with video replay during the NCAA Division I championship. That provision currently applies to the game clock at the end of each quarter. The committee also will survey conferences regarding the potential use of video replay during conference competitions.

the lacrosse version of a punt? (Id throw it out of bounds though - lol)

I guess the thought process is that rolling it in the corner is basically the same or better than throwing it out of bounds due to quick restarts. Unless maybe you really launch it high in the air or something like that. Who knows man we will probably see a wide variety of crazy things tried as a result of this. College coaches have waaay more time and money than MLL coaches to experiment and figure this kind of thing out.

Toomey isn't going to be in the lacrosse coaching business very much longer if he can't come up with more creative solutions than what he is proposing.

Toomey isn't going to be in the lacrosse coaching business very much longer if he can't come up with more creative solutions than what he is proposing.
Agreed hard to do that when you are down 3 goals

Agreed hard to do that when you are down 3 goals
He's just crying sour grapes because teams like Loyola will no longer be able to play slow down ball and physical D and thereby neutralize the talent advantage that teams like Syracuse have on offense. It's a boring game played like that and this rule change is meant to put a more up tempo offensive style of play on the field. Great for fans and really great for the Orange.

Can't wait to see the final score of the Binghamton game next year... Does Cuse go up big and put up 30+ because they have to shoot for the shot clock? Or do they just hold the ball or roll it into the corner? Because that would be exciting!!! I'm glad we are following the MLL model, it's worked so well for them....

I am very interested to see what Utah and St Bonaventure scores look like for their first years. If they are all blow outs does that make other schools more cautious to add D1 lax? Those teams used to be able to slow it down to hide their lack of talent. No hiding now with 60 seconds to shoot.

I'm really interested in how this affects a Maryland program that has been college lacrosses best team over the last several years. They have won so many slow paced games over the years. The dive really goes well with the shot clock. Adds another way to score. My money's on Solomon to have the first Cuse dive goal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom