Shot Clock coming for 2019 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Shot Clock coming for 2019

I'm really interested in how this affects a Maryland program that has been college lacrosses best team over the last several years. They have won so many slow paced games over the years. The dive really goes well with the shot clock. Adds another way to score. My money's on Solomon to have the first Cuse dive goal.

I'm really interested in how this affects a Maryland program that has been college lacrosses best team over the last several years. They have won so many slow paced games over the years. The dive really goes well with the shot clock. Adds another way to score. My money's on Solomon to have the first Cuse dive goal.

Maryland will be fine. They'll have athletes to try to score quickly and shooters from the outside to beat the zone. And if they can't beat it quickly, you'll just have one of your attackmen hold it in the corner when there is 10 sec left so you can sub your pole and other mids on. Most teams will probably try to play a packed-in zone so there won't be any pressure on that attackman anyway.

Maybe I'm being overly pessimistic about this but I think this is a terrible move for lacrosse now and in the future. Don't we want parody in sports? Parody in lacrosse disappears with more possessions and now the game is forcing there to be more. Don't worry though, I'm sure the other ACC schools will be super excited to create a new varsity sport at their school where they are forced to play 5 of the top 10 programs in the country and lose every conference game by 20.

Maryland will be fine. They'll have athletes to try to score quickly and shooters from the outside to beat the zone. And if they can't beat it quickly, you'll just have one of your attackmen hold it in the corner when there is 10 sec left so you can sub your pole and other mids on. Most teams will probably try to play a packed-in zone so there won't be any pressure on that attackman anyway.

Maybe I'm being overly pessimistic about this but I think this is a terrible move for lacrosse now and in the future. Don't we want parody in sports? Parody in lacrosse disappears with more possessions and now the game is forcing there to be more. Don't worry though, I'm sure the other ACC schools will be super excited to create a new varsity sport at their school where they are forced to play 5 of the top 10 programs in the country and lose every conference game by 20.
Parity. You are being overly pessimistic. In the first paragraph your offering some good strategies for creating a new style. I think some smart coaches will put it to analytics and have success, even without the top recruits. Intuitively, I think less talented teams are going to have to take chances scoring in transition, a fast break offense if you will.

Now they need to add a rule that after the goal, the goalie gets the ball and initiates the offense.

Now they need to add a rule that after the goal, the goalie gets the ball and initiates the offense.
Had it in the late 70s/early 80s and everyone wanted faceoffs back, even, I understand, the people who advocated that rule change. Many of the JHU fans, after the “we want more” would also yell “faceoffs”.

I think Maryland plays a deliberate style, but no slower than a lot of other teams (ND, OSU,...). It might even be fair to point out that Maryland was only held under 10 twice last year, while Syracuse scored less than 10 four times last season.
Tillman will have to change his strategy, but I think Maryland has good athletes and should do fine. The big question remains the same as before the shot clock - filling in the hole left by the graduation of Kelly and Rotanz.

{snip}
“Parity” is far too often the excuse used to explain the loss by a “traditional power” to a have-not. Somehow, I don’t think SU fans would console themselves if you lost to Bingo by saying, “It’s good for the growth of the game,” any more than UVa fans did when we lost to High Point. There won’t be true parity until the non-powers consistently spend as much on their teams as the powers do. That’s what makes you a power. The Ivies go through cycles; first it was Cornell, then they dropped off and it was Princeton, then the administration clamped down on Tierney, they fell off and Yale may be taking their place. Loyola won with a senior-laden team and is struggling to get back. Denver is a power now because they invested big money for Tierney and facilities to draw kids to their school.

I think the change in the recruiting rules will hurt the non-powers much more than the timer rule will. Now, everyone is recruiting at the same time, and there will be far fewer “late bloomers” for the have-nots to build around.

Had it in the late 70s/early 80s and everyone wanted faceoffs back, even, I understand, the people who advocated that rule change. Many of the JHU fans, after the “we want more” would also yell “faceoffs”.
"No faceoffs" only lasted one season. There was another big difference in the rules back then--no limit on long poles. So the defensive team could employ a helluva ride.

Now, I don't know the specific reasons for the quick about-face. Maybe there are some real old-timers around who remember.

Throughout sports it is very rare that a rule is made to help the defense. Usually it is a reaction to promote offense. Football makes it so a QB can barely get touched and wide receivers run free. Eventually defenses improve and new rules are amended and added. Same with lacrosse. Our game is best in transition and face break in my opinion. When the offense has numbers and the advantage. Maybe the shot clock will promote this...eventually teams will catch up defensively. Then another change will happen...Who knows what the next rule will be? No Face-Off fewer long poles...this is true for lacrosse and all sports in my opinion

The goal should be to maintain the value of a goal and team play, the quality and balance of play on both sides n enlarging participation.. Shot clock should have been extended a bit further so offensive approaches wouldnt have to be cookie cutters of each other and these silly sticks should revert back so true ball skills could be appreciated. College game should be the dog that wags the tail not the other way around

going to a shot clock helps the face off issues.. now teams can still win and shoot and score, but they cant do it for 3-4-5 min at a time as easily.

I like the shot clock. I would have preferred a 90 second shot clock. Great that they are going back to the 10 yard box, 20 yard box killed more transition than people realize. As for the dive being brought back, the game is significantly different than it was twenty years ago. Back then when an attacker dove towards the goal, there was a big ugly crease defender ready to hammer him. Now there is realistically no hitting in lacrosse, therefore there is no threat for for that attacker. It will be a free for all.

I like the shot clock. I would have preferred a 90 second shot clock. Great that they are going back to the 10 yard box, 20 yard box killed more transition than people realize. As for the dive being brought back, the game is significantly different than it was twenty years ago. Back then when an attacker dove towards the goal, there was a big ugly crease defender ready to hammer him. Now there is realistically no hitting in lacrosse, therefore there is no threat for for that attacker. It will be a free for all.

I think a 90 second shot clock that re-set to 60 for a save or penalty would have been the way to go. I think a shot clock was definitely needed but 60 seconds isn't a lot of time and as others have noted its clear a lot of teams will go to a zone to try and really frustrate teams Perhaps even 75 seconds would have worked but 60 just seems to short. I would be surprised if they modified the time in two years when the rules committee meets again. As for the dive, you still see a lot of big hits on close in shots some are flagged some aren't, will definitely be interesting to see how the refs call this. Bomberry might lead the league in penalties this year, lol.

I think a 90 second shot clock that re-set to 60 for a save or penalty would have been the way to go. I think a shot clock was definitely needed but 60 seconds isn't a lot of time and as others have noted its clear a lot of teams will go to a zone to try and really frustrate teams Perhaps even 75 seconds would have worked but 60 just seems to short. I would be surprised if they modified the time in two years when the rules committee meets again. As for the dive, you still see a lot of big hits on close in shots some are flagged some aren't, will definitely be interesting to see how the refs call this. Bomberry might lead the league in penalties this year, lol.

Are you sure he did not already?

The only difference between what you're proposing and the new rule is that you don't get rewarded with extra possession time by clearing quickly. With 90 seconds at the start of a possession, if you are able to clear it in 10 seconds, you get an initial 80 seconds of possession time in the offensive end before you need a reset. Under this rule, regardless of how long it takes to clear you still only get 60. I also think they did it this way to make sure the timer operator doesn't make a mistake and not give the proper amount of time. This way it's always set for giving a 60-second countdown and the operator just needs to watch the referees' signals for when to start the timer and reset it.

I probably missed it in the discussions, assuming the timer gets turned off during a penalty as it does now, was there any mention about how it would be handled when the penalty is over? I would imagine the timer would start up again when the penalty is released, but does the team in possession get the full 60 seconds?

Think committee overreached and have hurt college game. Hope they are revised by season start as seventy seconds imo should have been a minimum after passing midfield. Sixty is too short even for our offense that plays at a quicker pace than most. Had expected a decrease in number of offensive turnovers after a year of development for our younger talents but now expect the short clock to lead to many rushed sets and sloppy play. Envision several clock infractions a game by teams at start who try to maintain a semblance of looking for best shot. Not in favor of dives either, there is enough athleticsm on display already, nothing more than a dangerous gimmick that could injure nearby players even if sideways goal mouth rule is enforced. Nonsensical rulemakers restrict clean upper body contact then permit a play where a player at full speed could inadvertently lunge into knees. Fing brilliant . Penalty minutes by close defenders are usually a byproduct of restricted contact rules aforementioned, number of takes for goals are larger concern.

The only difference between what you're proposing and the new rule is that you don't get rewarded with extra possession time by clearing quickly. With 90 seconds at the start of a possession, if you are able to clear it in 10 seconds, you get an initial 80 seconds of possession time in the offensive end before you need a reset. Under this rule, regardless of how long it takes to clear you still only get 60. I also think they did it this way to make sure the timer operator doesn't make a mistake and not give the proper amount of time. This way it's always set for giving a 60-second countdown and the operator just needs to watch the referees' signals for when to start the timer and reset it.

I probably missed it in the discussions, assuming the timer gets turned off during a penalty as it does now, was there any mention about how it would be handled when the penalty is over? I would imagine the timer would start up again when the penalty is released, but does the team in possession get the full 60 seconds?

I believe it re-sets on a penalty, I would assume as soon as the 30 or 60 sec runs off the 60 second clock starts. In regards to the shot clock itself, I like the 20 seconds to get over midfield but would have run it from 90 seconds at that point once the refs signal it as you noted or 75 seconds. A minute even for the most up and down offenses is a bit short.

Teams can have trouble finding a shot on 60 second man-up situations. Of course, in man-up situations, all your players are in position and you have the right personnel on the field.

On a regular clear, not a fast break, your midfielder (perhaps an LSM) steps over the midfield line, then the 60 second clock starts. Some of your attackmen will probably be above the restraining line to help with the clear. So all these players have to get downfield, probably you are not starting the offense till 50 seconds or less.

Love the 60 second shot clock. Rules committee probably saw the evolution of college basketball from 45 to 35 to 30 and figured why not.

I don’t understand why diving was brought back. With all the rule changes to virtually eliminate body checking and head contact this is counterintuitive to me.

Is a diving attackman now protected by the “defenseless player” rule making it illegal to hit them?

How do defensemen protect their knees/ankles from a diving attackman?

Seems like a foolish rule given the safety changes made in recent years.

Does this mean the "Air Gait" is legal again too? It should be.

I've seen some nasty injuries in the MLL that resulted from an attacking player diving into a defender. I do believe that defenders need to be protected. Thus, I think the "diving" rule should include--as a minimum-- a two-minute, non-releasable penalty for any diving attacker who initiates significant body contact with a goalie or defending player as a result of the dive..

So many d1-d3 games n practices n there would be many incidental injuries from it. No need to bring the dive back, its selling out player safety for some cheap highlights. Just as wr keep both feet down inbounds the attackmen maintaining their feet has become a thing of skill n artistry to enjoy rather than watch someone hurl themselves sideways n land into the legs of someone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom