Shot Clock coming for 2019 | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Shot Clock coming for 2019

I imagine players are slightly scared of the unreleasable penalty that comes with diving "towards the mouth of the goal." I'm surprised there hasn't at least been some instances of players simply stepping in to the crease as they put the ball in the goal, which is also now legal under the new dive rule without being a literal dive. But even with that if the step you make in the crease as you put the ball in is towards the goal mouth that would technically be a penalty. I feel like the refs will have tough decisions to make/get seriously chewed out by the fans if they truly try to enforce the rules as they are written.

I thought about starting a separate thread, but maybe it’s better here:

When and why did Syracuse stop running the way they used to?

I was watching the 89 final yesterday and I just started thinking — why did they ever stop playing this way?

I don't know exactly when they slowed it down but I think they did it because the defense wasn't as strong as the past and they would get woren down so they slowed down their possessions to give them a rest. That's my take on it.

I was watching the 89 final yesterday and I just started thinking — why did they ever stop playing this way?
It's easy. Stick changes, much tighter rule enforcement, more athletic, much better stick handling defensemen and LSMs. Watch ball carriers through the 80's and 90's suffer multiple slashes, body slams and whatall. The ball was on the ground far more then than it is now. More turnovers allowed players to take more risks with passes, because they were relatively sure of getting the ball back. I think the game is far more cerebral than back in those days. More sophisticated schemes. Coaches also have learned how to make teams that run and gun pay.

Princeton

Thirty years ago. Much better atheletes in sport today widely spread out instead of concentrated in a few programs. Adelphi was the 5th seeded team in 1989, some hs teams today would likely have run them off the field

"Do you think the game needs a shot clock?"

1:09:30 mark. Paul Gait. Preach, brother.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom