should the NCAA sanction penn state???. | Syracusefan.com

should the NCAA sanction penn state???.

retro44

Living Legend
I think yes for a number of reasons.

1.) everytime a kid at another school takes cash like a reggie bush,chris webber and even cam newton it involves a moral decision to break the rules.

2.) Most seem to forget penn st. expanded their football stadium in 2001 to 107,000 plus.That means there is huge amounts of money laid out and going forward on filling that stadium.I don't think for a second that point was never discussed by the atheletic dept. Nor did the media discussed that fact...timing is everything here.

3.) there is no reason what so ever other than protecting the image of joe the devil and the financial situation of the program to cover this up and then encourage sandusky to commit more crimes of being a child molester. I highly doubt they forced sandusky to see a counselor after joe put a stop the internal investigation and some recommended he seeks help.

4.) how many here are willing to give up the season tickets if gross wants to play this series.this tells me that syracuse will take a light line on penn st. if they go thru with the games.

5.) should the taxpayers foot the bill for the lawsuits or take the money from the sports dept.
endowments will go down if the donors object to using those funds that were geared to academics.

This issue is bigger than any empty punishment the NCAA could hand down. These are true criminal acts of negligence that need to be dealt with through the justice system.

If a kid gets an improper benefit? Fine, give it to the NCAA. But my feeling is that the NCAA is simply incompetent and that they'd just this up too.

#5 is an interesting proposition in any number of ways. Maybe there is some way to structure it so the athletic department takes the hit - though frankly the entire administrative structure bears responsibility. New donations to the athletic department for the next decade (or two) could be split 33/33/33 with a victims fund - organizations serving the needs of abused children - the athletic department. Hopefully there is a way to structure it so taxpayers don't take the hit.

A thousand yeses. There are words in the NCAA manual about ethics/morals.

As to #4, no I wont give up my season tickets but will be very disappointed in SU if the series isn't canceled and would let my feelings be known.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

There are higher powers than the NCAA and I'm glad to see that those powers are pursuing the criminals who committed the crimes and those who allowed them to continue to be committed.

There are higher powers than the NCAA and I'm glad to see that those powers are pursuing the criminals who committed the crimes and those who allowed them to continue to be committed.

Yes. But the higher powers will punish individuals. The NCAA can punish the institution who not only turned a blind eye to morals but also gained a competitive advantage by doing so.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Not that I love saying this, but no. You cannot bring sanctions against the athletic department for this. It would make zero sense. What impact did this have on the football team at all? Paying Reggie Bush or any of the SMU booster stuff had a direct impact on football at those universities. This situation had no direct impact on the football program. I think the university itself should be sanctioned from an academic standpoint, which would be MUCH worse overall than some football sanctions, however, still can't make a connection to any direct impact that this would have had on their football program.

The appropriate impact is being made now. This will tarnish the legacy of one of the greatest coaches ever, will put those responsible in jail and will tarnish the school in the court of public opinion. The school will likely be dropped from the AAU for some time and likely will have all state funding pulled.

No penalty sought directly for the football program makes sense.

Although the idea of having future donations be split between Penn State athletics and a victims fund would be great, in practice it wouldn't be effective as boosters would stop making donations or find a loophole to avoid it.

Much as I would like to see sanctions, this is a criminal matter that has to run its course. Once that happens the civil lawsuits will be Fucillo huge.

Yes I think they should be sanctioned. I've heard others suggest "it's not fair to the players currently there." While I understand that point, you can't let that be the reason you don't punish them. Fine them, remove them from bowl games for a few years, put them on probation, and other things. I'm still in shock over what they allowed to happen. You CANNOT let that go unpunished.

How many fewer victims would there have been had Joe not talked his administration out of turning JS in?

The morally bankrupt culture and cult of personality that Joe perpetuated and encouraged is still ingrained in the fabric of PSU.

The NCAA must make an example of PSU so as to discourage any university from putting a coach or team above all else. Seriously, with everything that has come out, people STILL defend Joe. Who is to say that this couldn't happen at PSU today? And if Joe was willing to cover up for a child rapist for the sake of his program, God knows what else he covered up.

I doubt it will take that much digging.

And Syracuse should absolutely cancel our series with them, especially if they escape punishment.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

This issue is bigger than any empty punishment the NCAA could hand down. These are true criminal acts of negligence that need to be dealt with through the justice system.

If a kid gets an improper benefit? Fine, give it to the NCAA. But my feeling is that the NCAA is simply incompetent and that they'd just this up too.
are they competent enough to issue the death penalty,or incompetent enough not to.

Not that I love saying this, but no. You cannot bring sanctions against the athletic department for this. It would make zero sense. What impact did this have on the football team at all? Paying Reggie Bush or any of the SMU booster stuff had a direct impact on football at those universities. This situation had no direct impact on the football program. I think the university itself should be sanctioned from an academic standpoint, which would be MUCH worse overall than some football sanctions, however, still can't make a connection to any direct impact that this would have had on their football program.

The appropriate impact is being made now. This will tarnish the legacy of one of the greatest coaches ever, will put those responsible in jail and will tarnish the school in the court of public opinion. The school will likely be dropped from the AAU for some time and likely will have all state funding pulled.

No penalty sought directly for the football program makes sense.
there will be no getting kicked out of the aau,no decrease in state funding,no over all academic sanctions what so ever.some individuals may go to jail, psu reputation wil only be temporarily tarnished as we have short memories(look at their recruits already) i wonder if general applications are down.yes ,jopa and company allowed a criminal situation to perseverate and therefore the program should be punished. what would the ncaa do to a school that the coach and university leaders knowingly allowed players to use performance enhancing drugs?would there be sanctions????

My concern is if this was a"culture of deception" at PSU and did it extend to other matters. If they were willing to hide these heinous acts to protect the reputation of the school and the football program to what else might they have been willing to "turn a blind eye". I do think a thorough investigation by the NCAA of the Athletic Department is warranted.

No the NCAA should not punish Penn State because it's not an NCAA issue. It's a criminal issue involving the judicial system, not the NCAA.

If the NCAA does step in then it opens pandora's box. They'd have to punish every single crminal transgression. DWI's, assaults, rapes, shootings, stabbings, disorderly conducts, everything.

No the NCAA should not punish Penn State because it's not an NCAA issue. It's a criminal issue involving the judicial system, not the NCAA.

If the NCAA does step in then it opens pandora's box. They'd have to punish every single crminal transgression. DWI's, assaults, rapes, shootings, stabbings, disorderly conducts, everything.

Exactly.

There will plenty of suffering administered to the individuals and the school in the future to satisfy all but the bloodthirstiest among us;

I'd go slow on the "Victim's Fund" if I were you. As good an idea as it seems, it could incent some behavior you really don't want to see. The civil suit process is designed to handle compensation.

The NCAA must make an example of PSU so as to discourage any university from putting a coach or team above all else.

USC, Alabama, and Michigan excluded, of course...

The school will likely be dropped from the AAU for some time and likely will have all state funding pulled.

I'm not sure how the biggest state school gets cut off from state funding. How would that even work? Or, do you mean just the funding of the athletic department?

The NCAA must make an example of PSU so as to discourage any university from putting a coach or team above all else.

What exactly have those schools done that are even in the same universe of moral and ethical failure that PSU did?

To say that it isn't an NCAA issue is incorrect, I believe. The NCAA is a member institution. PSU does not have to belong to the NCAA, nor does the NCAA have to allow PSU to be a member. I would be surprised if there isn't some clause in the bylaws that allows for punishment in this case.

You make a valid point about punishing criminal activity and where to draw the line. I agree that the NCAA can't get involved in every criminal act-can you imagine how large the investigative arm of the NCAA would be in that scenario? But, maybe there should be some repercussions for programs that have an inordinate amount of criminal activity within it's athletics department.

there will be no getting kicked out of the aau,no decrease in state funding,no over all academic sanctions what so ever.some individuals may go to jail, psu reputation wil only be temporarily tarnished as we have short memories(look at their recruits already) i wonder if general applications are down.yes ,jopa and company allowed a criminal situation to perseverate and therefore the program should be punished. what would the ncaa do to a school that the coach and university leaders knowingly allowed players to use performance enhancing drugs?would there be sanctions????
Again.. PEDs would have a direct impact on the sports program itself... JS being a sick had no impact on the sports programs.. this is a moral and ethical issue and is in no way sports related other than it was a former coach... If this was just the University President, same situation, so I actually vehemently disagree that any sactions to the sports program would be appropriate.

No they won't.. it's not justified.

I'm not sure how the biggest state school gets cut off from state funding. How would that even work? Or, do you mean just the funding of the athletic department?
GUYS... THIS ISN"T AN ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT ISSUE... Other than the persons involved, this is in no way related to athletics other than the guy used to be a coach.. This is a criminal act, not a sports related act.

Also, hasn't the State already threatened to pull the funding? You need to get caught up bud.

GUYS... THIS ISN"T AN ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT ISSUE... Other than the persons involved, this is in no way related to athletics other than the guy used to be a coach.. This is a criminal act, not a sports related act.

Also, hasn't the State already threatened to pull the funding? You need to get caught up bud.

Why are you yelling at me? I was merely asking for clarification from the person who posted that state funding should be cut off from PSU.

To say that it isn't an NCAA issue is incorrect, I believe. The NCAA is a member institution. PSU does not have to belong to the NCAA, nor does the NCAA have to allow PSU to be a member. I would be surprised if there isn't some clause in the bylaws that allows for punishment in this case.

You make a valid point about punishing criminal activity and where to draw the line. I agree that the NCAA can't get involved in every criminal act-can you imagine how large the investigative arm of the NCAA would be in that scenario? But, maybe there should be some repercussions for programs that have an inordinate amount of criminal activity within it's athletics department.
I agree, there has to be a clause in the bylaws related to gross misconduct, which this situation obviously warrants.. I think there should be repercussions for instituations that have an inordinate amount of criminal activity within the entire institution, not just the athletics department.