Shrader and Excitement... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Shrader and Excitement...

I don’t know, Dungey was good, but I think Shredder is better.

In Shredders first year here he ran for more yards, more ypc and 1 less TD in 10 GAMES with the worst OC since McFit! Eric had 13 games while having the best line we have had in a decade In his 4th year starting

Shredder is bigger, faster and to my eye, harder to tackle. Whether he can sustain the throwing success Dungey had, is TBD (but he is on track this year!)

Go rewatch the WF, FSU and VT games…. Unbelievable

Watching the first two games, you see the kind of composure and command he has this year akin to a guy like Big Ben. It amazes me how much his presence and feel in the pocket reminds of an NFL QB already. Now as for his arm that is a wait and see if it keeps it up as opponents get tougher but against the Cards he showed that uncanny explosive burst when there is an opening, the ability to abuse smaller defenders trying to bring him down and then the touch to hit his target on various routes and in traffic.

The first drive throw to Jackson between the closing safety/corner and the corner trying to stay with Jackson was a bigtime throw vs UConn. The touch on the two long TD throws as well were perfect. All while avoiding having happy feet or walking into pressure like TD tended to do. Finally you get the magical something out of nothing plays because of his size and speed.

Lastly- the sacks he has taken have been good sacks. The OL was beaten and his options were nearly zero. Didn't heave it for a possible pick, didn't forget to protect the ball and avoided trying to be hero on his own.

Eric was very exciting, and was a warrior in the way Garrett is a warrior, but I think Garrett is a bit more elusive. Jury is out on who has a better arm IMHO.

the other two who are also up there were McPherson and graves.

all in all, good company to keep regardless of what ranking any poster chooses among the 5 of them.
If Garrett continues playing the way he has this year, he will definitely be viewed as a better quarterback and passer. I completely get that we are only two games into the season and I am a huge Dungey fan, but Shrader has really impressed all of us compared to his passing ability last season.

And Perry Patterson.
DADCB074-8CB9-4E46-92CB-14500098907B.gif

Edit: I do realize you were being sarcastic. just saw the shot...there was no danger...and took it.

GS will attain ED like status when he (must have a minimum of 3 for consideration):
  1. Trucks a would be tackler on the way into the end zone.
  2. Throws a pick and then steals it back from the interceptor.
  3. Throws a pick and then hunts down and tackles the interceptor 2 yards out of bounds.
  4. High karate kicks a defender attempting to tackle him in the open field.
Leading the team to 10 wins will also help.
Yikes, two of the four from your list involve throwing picks !!!!

hopefully, GS takes a pass (pun intended) in trying to meet your criteria.

I don’t know, Dungey was good, but I think Shredder is better.

In Shredders first year here he ran for more yards, more ypc and 1 less TD in 10 GAMES with the worst OC since McFit! Eric had 13 games while having the best line we have had in a decade In his 4th year starting

Shredder is bigger, faster and to my eye, harder to tackle. Whether he can sustain the throwing success Dungey had, is TBD (but he is on track this year!)

Go rewatch the WF, FSU and VT games…. Unbelievable
He also does not get knocked out. Knock on wood.

GS will attain ED like status when he (must have a minimum of 3 for consideration):
  3. Throws a pick and then hunts down and tackles the interceptor 2 yards out of bounds.
Just last week he trucked not one but two defenders to get a first down at the goal line and then subsequently scored

He also hurdled a would be tackler on the way to converting a 3rd and long with a patented scramble

Here’s hoping he beats Dungeys win total, but that’s why we play the games

I am hard pressed to name another Cuse player other than McNabb who has a more exciting style as compared to Garrett.

I am not saying he is second best, just really high on the excitement list.
If we are just talking excitement then Dungey is up there for me. He is as tough as they come. The guy didnt back down to anyone and played with an arrogance that I admired.

Right on

If we are just talking excitement then Dungey is up there for me. He is as tough as they come. The guy didnt back down to anyone and played with an arrogance that I admired.

Yeah Dungey had that Jason Williams like swagger as a QB. Gets in any defenders face, wants to hit everyone when he ran and then the showboating. Hands down excitement wise hard to match him

Both Dungey and Shrader are warriors. IMO, Shrader is a good ol country boy. He gives no chit; and he takes no chit. While Dungey was crazy. He jumped off towers, takes on the whole Miami bench, knees defenders in the helmet and so on. Both are fun to watch; but Dungey was must see, you never know what he was going to do. Which one is better? I really don’t care. I’m enjoying watching Shrader play; and every time I think of Dungey playing, it puts a smile on my face.

I like Garrett alot, but Eric Dungey is the OG and earned his pedestal. Eric over Garrett easily, but GS is obviously no slouch and has time to get there too

GS has a different confidence to him.

He’s more quietly humble, going to let you say what you want about me but I’m going to prove you wrong on the field.

If GS plays like he has the rest of this season and comes back to play QB next season for one final run….he may very well be the greatest QB of all time for Cuse.

I think the sky is the limit for him and working with Beck and Anae are extremely helpful and I believe that they are on the same page. GS said he’s never really had that experience before in his career.

In the last 6 years, he has had 6 different OCs including his time in high school.

GS is special. I believe he has the potential to be a drafted QB from Syracuse.

Dungey was a warrior... a bit more "mercurial" than Shrader.
Dungey brought much needed excitement to the game.

But Shrader is the better passer. I think the faster runner. more sturdy/durable of the two.
Finally, with Anae and Beck as his coaches, Shrader IS the better QB.

Reading this is incredible, but also makes me realize, if he would have avoided doing some of these things, we would have possibly got more complete seasons from him. Can't deny he was extremely entertaining to watch!

Dungey was a warrior... a bit more "mercurial" than Shrader.
Dungey brought much needed excitement to the game.

But Shrader is the better passer. I think the faster runner. more sturdy/durable of the two.
Finally, with Anae and Beck as his coaches, Shrader IS the better QB.
How do you determine Shrader as the better passer already? Eric threw for 411 against a ranked NC state team

Eric Dungey single handedly made the last 20 years worth it

Last edited:
How do you determine Shrader as the better passer already? Eric threw for 411 against a ranked NC state team
Dungey was NOT a good passer. His best pass was a deep long ball to the sideline.
When he finished his last season at SU, he spent weeks working on mechanics/footwork in prep for combines and the draft. If I recall, his first stop in the NFL, the team had him working with TEs.

Reading this is incredible, but also makes me realize, if he would have avoided doing some of these things, we would have possibly got more complete seasons from him. Can't deny he was extremely entertaining to watch!
Even when he did slide he still got taken out. Thanks CMU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom