Mcnabb
McPherson
Graves
Dungey
Nassib
Hurley
Philcox
Shrader

But that’s as of today. I expect Shrader to end up #3 on this list.
Let's hope!

I am hard pressed to name another Cuse player other than McNabb who has a more exciting style as compared to Garrett.

I am not saying he is second best, just really high on the excitement list.
Dungey

All time Syracuse QB's?

McNabb
McPherson
Graves
Dungey

Is this the list?
I'll give Ryan Nassib a shout-out. Was a backup to Eli. An elbow injury derailed his career but he was good enough to be on an active NFL roster for at least 3 or 4 years.

The 3-headed monster of Todd Norley, Greg Christodulu and Mike Kmetz in the early 80s. Throw in Steve Peach who was before them.

For me it’s:

Mcnabb
McPherson
Graves
Dungey
Nassib
Hurley
Philcox
Shrader

But that’s as of today. I expect Shrader to end up #3 on this list.
Good call on Philcox. Got only 1 year to play at SYR because he was behind Donnie McP but made the most of it. Then got paid to be a serviceable NFL backup for a long time. I think he drew an NFL paycheck for 10 years at least. Today, somebody would transfer if they had to sit 3 years to play 1 but Phil took full advantage of his year as starter.

Dungey was more exciting because he was freelancing so often that literally anything could happen. Shrader is a better runner, and may be a better passer. But right now he is playing mostly within the system. So… less excitement, perhaps more success.
Well, it’s pretty exciting to me that we have a system!

My opinion: Garrett Schrader hasn't been around long enough or done enough to get to legendary status, but make no mistake I want him to go down as the greatest ever at Syracuse. I think the first SU QB i remember is Bob Mitch, so I have been watching the Orangemen for around 50 years now. I believe the top three SU QB's are proper as McNabb, McPherson and Graves in that order. For many years my all time favorite SU player was/is Bill Hurley. I used to listen to most games on the radio. The announcer often called the option the Hurleyburg option or something like that. Great times with not so great teams. I might even still have the 1976 Sports Illustrated with the Pitt SU game where BH had over 300 combined yards and Dorsett ran for a country mile. I always thought BH would be my favorite, then came Eric Dungey. I had to make room for another favorite player, but again great times, not great teams (2018 was awesome though).

Back to GS; I want to see him in the company of McNabb, McPherson and Graves. I want winning teams. I am exceptionally pleased with his play so far in 2022. Keep it up and Go Orange.

NFW. I'm a big Nassib fan, but Dungey did more with less. He literally willed the team to victory on several occasions.
That's a bit of a weird thing to give Dungey credit for, but not Nassib.

Nassib had multiple game ending, game winning drives as I recall. Significant "clutch" factor.

That's willing a team to victory. And it's not like those squads were loaded with talent.

Loved Paulus!

By the end of his one year, he was playing at a very high level.

And how he did it remains quite remarkable to me.
Really? I remember Paulus fading as that season went on.

Really? I remember Paulus fading as that season went on.
I remember him throwing five interceptions in a game. Imagine that team without Mike Williams.

I remember him throwing five interceptions in a game. Imagine that team without Mike Williams.
So I looked at his stats and he played pretty well the last two games of that season.

He completed a high percentage of passes, we just didn't throw it much. Lots of games with like 16-18 total passing attempts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom