Since we have no premium board... | Syracusefan.com

Since we have no premium board...

CIL

All Conference
I just wanted to post a few nuggets I have heard over the last few days. I won't go into full detail, due to some confidentiality reasons. Some of the other stuff has been picked up by Rahme, fellow posters, etc. These are bullets taken from someone pretty close to the program, and I am summarizing here. No direct quotes per say.

• This is the first roster that gives a chance to compete with every BE team on our schedule. Sometimes we have had issues with our guys being a bit too small (think UCONN) or a bit too slow (USF). We now have the size and strength to physically play with our closest competitors.
  • We don't have a weak unity per say, we have a few units that may lack experience, but there isn't a unit we are going to try to hide or protect with play calls.
  • We will make some execution mistakes this year due to the youth out there, or newly featured starters, but these new kids have the athleticism to overcome some of those mistakes.
  • DL should be much improved top to bottom, it will be difficult to try and run it down our throats ala UCONN the last couple years. This will allow us to be extra aggressive in passing situations.
  • Recruiting is going very, very well (in the staffs eyes). We have said no thanks to several prospects we would have offered and accepted over the last few years.
  • This current crop of Freshman could very well be the group that leads us back into the top 25. Loads of depth here and lots of athletes.
  • Best conditioned unit under Marrone's watch. A lot of credit to Hicks but a lot goes to the kids as well. The kids that are here really buy into what Doug is trying to do from an accountability perspective and they are now holding each other accountable.
  • There is a cautious optimism surrounding the program right now. We will need a few breaks, but we have a good chance at competing for a BE title. (I know it may be a world's tallest midget pageant, but I'll take it).
  • Probably one year away with being able to play with pretty much anyone out there in the ACC.

I just wanted to post a few nuggets I have heard over the last few days. I won't go into full detail, due to some confidentiality reasons. Some of the other stuff has been picked up by Rahme, fellow posters, etc. These are bullets taken from someone pretty close to the program, and I am summarizing here. No direct quotes per say.

• This is the first roster that gives a chance to compete with every BE team on our schedule. Sometimes we have had issues with our guys being a bit too small (think UCONN) or a bit too slow (USF). We now have the size and strength to physically play with our closest competitors.
  • We don't have a weak unity per say, we have a few units that may lack experience, but there isn't a unit we are going to try to hide or protect with play calls.
  • We will make some execution mistakes this year due to the youth out there, or newly featured starters, but these new kids have the athleticism to overcome some of those mistakes.
  • DL should be much improved top to bottom, it will be difficult to try and run it down our throats ala UCONN the last couple years. This will allow us to be extra aggressive in passing situations.
  • Recruiting is going very, very well (in the staffs eyes). We have said no thanks to several prospects we would have offered and accepted over the last few years.
  • This current crop of Freshman could very well be the group that leads us back into the top 25. Loads of depth here and lots of athletes.
  • Best conditioned unit under Marrone's watch. A lot of credit to Hicks but a lot goes to the kids as well. The kids that are here really buy into what Doug is trying to do from an accountability perspective and they are now holding each other accountable.
  • There is a cautious optimism surrounding the program right now. We will need a few breaks, but we have a good chance at competing for a BE title. (I know it may be a world's tallest midget pageant, but I'll take it).
  • Probably one year away with being able to play with pretty much anyone out there in the ACC.

Interesting info coming out from the staff. Glad to hear that nearly all of it is positive, fingers crossed that even half of it is true.

Great to hear. I'm generally optimistic about how I expect the team to perform, but it is exciting to hear this type of information from someone close to the program.

Recruiting has been building momentum every year under Marrone. Glad that we're working with a full roster now, and I fully expect that at some point the team is just going to pop, given the athletes we're starting to gather. Still feel like we're a few offensive playmakers away from top 25, but we're headed in the right direction.

Music to my ears. Especially the fact that recruiting is going well. Nearly all D1 coaches can coach when it comes to Xs and Os. They have to be able to attract the talent. That's they key at this level.

kool1.jpg

Just playing devil's advocate here, with all these bits of information, it should be safe to assume we should be seeing improvement, correct?

If DM doesn't make the leap this year or next year, does it mean he failed? Should that be the end of the rope he is given?

It seems like all the pieces should be in place, no?

EDIT: CIL, thanks for these bits of info. Like I said, just playing devil's advocate here.

This tells me that the coaches know it is on them to produce a quality team and winner this year - no pointing to the lack of comparable talent on the team.

And I'd like to strongly disagree with the above poster (DPCuse) that said "nearly all D1 coaches can coach when it comes to Xs and Os." Not personally attacking you, just simply disagreeing completely with this statement. Innovative coaching in the NCAA allows teams lacking in overall talent the ability to close the talent gap on any given Saturday. Coaching ability (game planning and/or Xs and Os) is all over the place in the college ranks and few if any D1 coaches have mastered Xs and Os or the ability to make necessary adjustments to the betterment of their teams during games.

Yep to all of that.

On defense every starter not named Crume has at least full season under their belt. The only unit on the team that will insert anybody with zero snaps is the OL with Hickey and whoever wins the guard position. On offense the only skill position guy who will figure significantly that is coming in cold is Broyld. Obviously Thompson has an opportunity, but that isn't out of necessity, it's because he has talents that the experienced guys don't have.

Great stuff. Why do you think recruiting has improved?

My interpretation of that statement is that the staff is quite pleased with the relationships they have built, especially in NYS. Secondly, they are getting the type of kids they feel fit their system really well. I think the feature on Kyle Knapp Rahme wrote recently highlights this.

This is the first time I can remember (at least in the last 10 years) we aren't really taking kids for the sake of taking kids. Plan B kids this year were probably plan A for quite some time (think the Camara kid). I also think we are in deep with a couple of heavy hitters.

My interpretation of that statement is that the staff is quite pleased with the relationships they have built, especially in NYS. Secondly, they are getting the type of kids they feel fit their system really well. I think the feature on Kyle Knapp Rahme wrote recently highlights this.

This is the first time I can remember (at least in the last 10 years) we aren't really taking kids for the sake of taking kids. Plan B kids this year were probably plan A for quite some time (think the Camara kid). I also think we are in deep with a couple of heavy hitters.

Great post CIL, I think you nailed the reason for improvement with recruiting.

Quick question thought, do you feel the staff has any concern that a less then stellar year could hurt recruiting this year down the stretch? When you get involved with the heavy hitters theres always a chance you can get burned late or just come up empty. I just hope SU is keeping some of these plan B guys in play case things dont pan out.

Just playing devil's advocate here, with all these bits of information, it should be safe to assume we should be seeing improvement, correct? Yes, I think it is safe to say the product on the field will be much better than over the last 6 to 7 seasons or so.

If DM doesn't make the leap this year or next year, does it mean he failed? Should that be the end of the rope he is given? That's kind of a loaded question there, IMO. Define "leap" for me. Top 25 leap or bowl eligible leap? This isn't a team that's going to run the table by any means. However, it's a team that they feel they can compete with every single opponent on the current schedule (probably outside USC). I also don't think Marrone has been given an excessive amount of rope. He hasn't had a blank check handed to him ala Schiano. He's taken a non-competitive team and turned it into one that plays pretty damn hard and is in most games.

It seems like all the pieces should be in place, no? I think there is still a lot of work to be done here. It would be nice if some of the younger pieces had a year or two more under there belts. But I also think we'll see some plays by the younger guys that make us appreciate the talents they have.

EDIT: CIL, thanks for these bits of info. Like I said, just playing devil's advocate here.

Exactly

Special Teams will take a huge jump this year (Going from Weak/Liability to at least overall Average):

Ross K. will be kicking and he is basically automatic withing 45 yards, Looks like we found a kickoff guy too (Norton). This means Ross can stay fresher and concentrate on scoring points. As much as I loved seeing him making the best special teams tackle of the season last year...we need to protect our FG/XP kicker. Just speculation on my part here: I could see Cuse using the 2 kicker formation once or twice this year (On Sides Kick situation). We have three kickers: Krautman, The Tiny Euro Country and Norton. Almsot unheard of in college football. The snap/kick protection should be better. Haven't heard anything but it has to improve, right? Can't be any worse.

We have two capable Punters this year...each capable of booming a kick. We just might see both used to play to their strengths.

Less Walk-Ons on Kickoff Coverage this year means more team speed...lets hope they have the heart to play STs.

More experience on our Kickoff and Punt Return teams. I'm guessing we are faster this year. Last year it was frustrating after we scored a TD/FG and the opposing team received the ball out near midfield...this will change this year.

Overall, we should be closer to a Coach P team than a GRob/early Marrone team in the STs area.

There's some stuff I'd rather not choose to share in this type of setting.
Feel Free to send me a PM then, Ha! :D Thanks for the Info! Much appreciated as always!

Great stuff CIL. I was a bit pessimistic about this season for a while, mostly because of what a grind the schedule is and the Pugh injury, but the stuff that's come out in the last few days has really helped renew my faith that we're in a pretty good place as a program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question for CIL -

Did your source say anything about this years schedule? Specifically about how the strength of this schedule could potentially hide much of the progress that has been made due to its difficulty? And thus, slowing any continued momentum.

In other words, if this team was hypothetically a 7-5 club, is the staff worried (or even frustrated) that the strength of this schedule could yield a 5-7 club?

Obviously they can't control it now, but still, they can have an opinion on it. Thanks

Feel Free to send me a PM then, Ha! :D Thanks for the Info! Much appreciated as always!

How about a controlled chat tonight...maybe around 9:30pm Eastern?
Would love to hear more.

Great stuff CIL. I was a bit pessimistic about this season for a while, mostly because of what a grind the schedule is and the Pugh injury, but the stuff that's come out in the last few days has really helped renew my faith that we're in a pretty good place as a program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't replace a kid like Pugh who's a first round / second round talent. We aren't Alabama who replaces a Heisman trophy winning RB with a better talent. That being said, we a replacing him for a time with a kid that can play the game and not worry that he is going to hurt you out there. We couldn't say that last year.

Recruiting is going very, very well (in the staffs eyes). We have said no thanks to several prospects we would have offered and accepted over the last few years.

This I find interesting as I've seen recruits we've "offered" commit to what I would consider inferior schools early far more than I've seen in the past 4-5 years this year. And I had a hard time believing we were truly losing prospects to MAC schools that we've offered. So this makes sense - probably much more in the way of conditional offers than we've seen in years past.

Thanks CIL...Always nice to get to pull the curtain back so to speak... If you are sending PM's can you also send me 1? Thx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom