Skipping Bowl Games really hurt the two RBs | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Skipping Bowl Games really hurt the two RBs

As a fan, I absolutely hate the idea of just bailing on your team when there is still a game to be played. But as a player trying not to get hurt, I get it. I just wonder how far it will go. If a guy has a great two seasons, will he sit out his entire junior year to keep from getting hurt?

As a fan, I absolutely hate the idea of just bailing on your team when there is still a game to be played. But as a player trying not to get hurt, I get it. I just wonder how far it will go. If a guy has a great two seasons, will he sit out his entire junior year to keep from getting hurt?
Wasn't the kid from LSU considering that because he wasn't eligible for the NFL? I think you will see it eventually. Only so many hits one can survive.

Wasn't the kid from LSU considering that because he wasn't eligible for the NFL? I think you will see it eventually. Only so many hits one can survive.

Yes, There were rumors Fournette was considering sitting out the year. Whether he was really considering it and how seriously, I'm not sure was ever really confirmed

So that's a no.

Playing any level of football - especially college football - means a lot.

Football is the ultimate team game.

When a player refuses to play a bowl game - to enhance his draft status - I'm sure it ruffles the feathers of teammates.

And, if you have played on a college football team - at any level - you understand that better than a fan who sits at home and watches the game on television.

I think that is what the post meant to convey.

Bowl games are the problem. People are upset that guys sat out meaningless games. Playing in the belk bowl or any other non playoff really means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Most people like it for the extra practices at the end of the year.

Bowl games are the problem. People are upset that guys sat out meaningless games. Playing in the belk bowl or any other non playoff really means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Most people like it for the extra practices at the end of the year.

The Belk bowl may be meaningless to you or me, but they aren't to the fans, heck we would sign up right now for a Belk Bowl appearance next year, and it certainly isn't to the coaches and players.

Its a bad trend, I'm sorry, I just don't like it at all.

The person who thinks all college athletes should play for free for as long as possible to entertain him, regardless of the potential negative impact on their future ability to make a living -
is upset that college athletes chose NOT to risk their future earnings ability to entertain him for free for one more game?

Shocker. :rolleyes:

The person who thinks all college athletes should play for free for as long as possible to entertain him, regardless of the potential negative impact on their future ability to make a living -
is upset that college athletes chose NOT to risk their future earnings ability to entertain him for free for one more game?

Thats complete bs, and you know it.

Thats complete bs, and you know it.

Oh, I'm sorry.
I meant to say that you think missing that game will hinder the full development of their game, and they'll be out of the league in 3 years, instead of getting a huge 2nd contact.
;)

Its a bad trend, I'm sorry, I just don't like it at all.
It's a great trend. It's about time the athletes treated it as the business that colleges have made it.

I know, you're missing my point. If he got hurt it hurts his families lifestyle. That is more important than a bowl game or your teammates, people who provide for a family should understand that. So his daughter is happy means his daughter is eating, haveing a great lifestyle because her dad cares more about providing for her than winning a meaningless bowl game. That's just one man's opinion though.

That's what insurance is for.

Picked 4th and 8th. I expect to see it more and more as I said months ago.

Couldn't disagree more. Actually, the only reason these rbs were taken at 4 and 8 was the elliott effect from last year bc , rbs can be had in rounds 2-4.

Jadaveon Clowney took his senior year off, as did SU's own Rob Burnett.;)

It has to be a career ending injury, I believe, and it doesn't cover all the future contracts you could have made.
Its easy to be cavalier with another family's life changing wealth.

Look, I'm not trying to be cavalier. However, the students are agreeing to play for the schools, and the schools are giving them a scholarship and a platform to market themselves to NFL teams. The schools probably won't take this sitting down, and at some point they may start partially revoke the scholarships of students that choose to sit out of bowl games.

The student's don't get paid, and honestly, I think that they should. However, under the current system, the schools are "paying" them to play by giving them scholarships, and in the future, the schools will likely be paying them for real. A lot of that money comes from the conference, and the conference relies on, among other things, money from bowl games. Well, if the best players start sitting out, then fewer people will watch, ad revenue will fall, and the schools will receive less money. I think that schools could try to prevent this behavior, and the only real weapon the school would have in that scenario is revoking the scholarships of the students that refuse to play. I'm not saying that this is right, wrong, or neutral. I'm just saying that this is a real possibility, and I won't be surprised if it happens.

There's something to be said about playing on a team and connecting with at least some of your teammates. I think if I was playing on a team that had a player who would potentially get drafted and sign a lucrative pro contract. I'd strongly support his decision not to play in a meaningless Bowl game.

Especially if I considered him a friend.

99.5% of the guys teammates are going to be working at McDonald's, or in a cubicle, after they graduate.

There's something to be said about playing on a team and connecting with at least some of your teammates. I think if I was playing on a team that had a player who would potentially get drafted and sign a lucrative pro contract. I'd strongly support his decision not to play in a meaningless Bowl game.

Especially if I considered him a friend.

99.5% of the guys teammates are going to be working at McDonald's, or in a cubicle, after they graduate.

Lsu has a ton of guys who are going to get drafted, and they played in the bowl game. The kid the Jets drafted was as big of a prospect as Fournette, and he played in the game.

Free -- you know, as if more than 1% of college football players could get paid to play professionally. Or that their a hilly and freee swag and other perks suck compared to a minor league baseball player taking in $7.5K annually.

Your ability to argue on message boards is finely tuned my friend. Almost an art form

Thats not what I was talking about, you go to war with your team from August to December, and then you get a bowl game, and say sorry guys I'm out, I care more about my draft stock than I do about you.

All the teammates probably understand. As they want to make it to the NFL as well. I think they would like to see their teammates stay healthy, and get drafted. More than win the Pumpkin Bowl. Next man up. The RB that stepped in for Fournette looked great in the game. He actually got his name out there because of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom