Skipping Bowl Games really hurt the two RBs | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Skipping Bowl Games really hurt the two RBs

My son's too busy studying, watching game film, lifting, etc to be partying and playing on his PS4. He's been taking 16-17 hours a semester since he got there.

I'm not saying that athletes don't work hard, I played football at a lower level, I know how much work it takes, but these coaches put even more time and effort into it. I have no problem with them making good money.

I'm not saying that athletes don't work hard, I played football at a lower level, I know how much work it takes, but these coaches put even more time and effort into it. I have no problem with them making good money.

I didn't say the kids should make 11 million dollars. You think they deserve $0 in addition to their scholarship. I am well aware of how valuable a scholarship is... but welcome to 2017. Coaches bust their butts - but the safeties coach at middle tennessee state makes over $100,000 a year. To coach 1 position. In Mufreesboro, TN. At MTSU. He probably wouldn't get paid to do that job at Notre Dame in the 1970's... but it's funny what you can do with money when you have so much of it.

When did the stipends go away and why? When I was at SU in the 60's, the players legally received a stipend that was called laundry money. I don't know how much it was, but it was on top of their "three hots and a cot".

I didn't say the kids should make 11 million dollars. You think they deserve $0 in addition to their scholarship. I am well aware of how valuable a scholarship is... but welcome to 2017. Coaches bust their butts - but the safeties coach at middle tennessee state makes over $100,000 a year. To coach 1 position. In Mufreesboro, TN. At MTSU. He probably wouldn't get paid to do that job at Notre Dame in the 1970's... but it's funny what you can do with money when you have so much of it.

Are you familiar with title nine? That is why they can't get paid. These kids are getting things for free that other people have to struggle through life to provide for themselves and their kids. 100,000 does seem like a lot of money for a db coach at mtsu, but it is what it is, should teachers make 50,000 a year, its life.

Are you familiar with title nine? That is why they can't get paid. These kids are getting things for free that other people have to struggle through life to provide for themselves and their kids. 100,000 does seem like a lot of money for a db coach at mtsu, but it is what it is, should teachers make 50,000 a year, its life.

Fully aware of title nine. Huge supporter of it.

You're telling me of the (roughly) 290 scholarships for men's and women's sports at Syracuse that the athletic department couldn't give each scholarship $5,000 to $10,000 (1.5 to 3 million total) to the athletes? Please.

Teachers should certainly get paid more too haha

Fully aware of title nine. Huge supporter of it.

You're telling me of the (roughly) 290 scholarships for men's and women's sports at Syracuse that the athletic department couldn't give each scholarship $5,000 to $10,000 (1.5 to 3 million total) to the athletes? Please.

They could but here is the thing, you have to pay them the same, so you have to pay your star qb the same amount that you pay the backup goalie on the soccer team.

You have no idea if that is true or not.

Is watching film to break down an opponent's tendencies or visiting a high school more effort than benching and lifting? Kids practice, go to class, do homework, etc. You make it sound as if all they do is show up on Saturdays and the rest of the time it's party, party, party. Maybe it's that way at some schools (I'm looking at you, UNC), but it's not that way at Syracuse.

You can't make a blanket statement that the coaches work harder than the student-athletes. Different kind of work and effort? Sure. But to make a sweeping statement like that, it's just not true.

You have no idea if that is true or not.

Is watching film to break down an opponent's tendencies or visiting a high school more effort than benching and lifting? Kids practice, go to class, do homework, etc. You make it sound as if all they do is show up on Saturdays and the rest of the time it's party, party, party. Maybe it's that way at some schools (I'm looking at you, UNC), but it's not that way at Syracuse.

You can't make a blanket statement that the coaches work harder than the student-athletes. Different kind of work and effort? Sure. But to make a sweeping statement like that, it's just not true.

I know that these kids work hard, I have been around coaches, these guys are up at 2 am studying film and working on plays, these guys are putting in 16-18 hour days.

Look at it this way, a player has to worry about bettering himself, and what he has to do to be successful. The coach is the Ceo of a program, he is responsible for every kid in his program, every coach in his program, the trainers, other staff, etc. He has to recruit, has media obligations, has to deal with donors and boosters, he has a lot on his plate, they deserve to be well compensated.

They could but here is the thing, you have to pay them the same, so you have to pay your star qb the same amount that you pay the backup goalie on the soccer team.

Nope. Women's soccer gets 14 scholarships. It would mean the women's soccer players get 140,000 to be divided up among themselves by their coaching staff

I get your point - but since these kids are NOT allowed to have jobs - giving them $350/week (28 weeks, 2 semesters) is the equivalent to them working a job and going to school.

I know that these kids work hard, I have been around coaches, these guys are up at 2 am studying film and working on plays, these guys are putting in 16-18 hour days.
And I'm not saying the coaches don't work hard. My point was since they are two totally different types of 'work', I don't think you can say that one group in general works harder than the other.

Teachers should certainly get paid more too haha

I hate the knee jerk, feel good, of course teachers should make more". It's reactionary, with no economic basis.

A. Teachers work 3/4 of the year, so $50,000.00 is more like 60-65K. At least in NY, their income is not taxed at the state level, so add 15% to their salary.
B. They have benefits greater than most public sector jobs. The value of those benefits is about 30-40K, annually.
C. They make more in retirement than most folks make working. So now the taxpayer is paying them almost as much not to work as they paid them to work.
D. Many are average or less than average at their job, and they are not accountable for the end product. If fact, the end product has decreased as overall teacher compensation has increased.

Being a teacher is a pretty good gig, as is.

I hate the knee jerk, feel good, of course teachers should make more". It's reactionary, with no economic basis.

A. Teachers work 3/4 of the year, so $50,000.00 is more like 60-65K. At least in NY, their income is not taxed at the state level, so add 15% to their salary.
B. They have benefits greater than most public sector jobs. The value of those benefits is about 30-40K, annually.
C. They make more in retirement than most folks make working. So now the taxpayer is paying them almost as much not to work as they paid them to work.
D. Many are average or less than average at their job, and they are not accountable for the end product. If fact, the end product has decreased as overall teacher compensation has increased.

I understand the whole summers off and weekends argument, I will just say this some teachers have to take summer jobs to make ends meet, in fact most of them do. I'm sorry but 50,000-65,000, just isn't enough. Unless you are in the education field, you have no idea how much work they do, and how much pressure they under, then you get to all the political bs they have to deal with.

I understand the whole summers off and weekends argument, I will just say this some teachers have to take summer jobs to make ends meet, in fact most of them do. I'm sorry but 50,000-65,000, just isn't enough. Unless you are in the education field, you have no idea how much work they do, and how much pressure they under, then you get to all the political bs they have to deal with.
It's not just 50-65. That's the point.
Initially, we gave teachers GREAT benefits to offset low pay. Now we give them GREAT pay for 180 days of work (vs 250 days for most folks), PLUS great benefits.
It is not a sustainable model.

I mean don't just throw out $50,000 and act like that's what ever teacher makes lol. My sister teaches special needs and there is NO way her salary for the first 3 years was enough. I know the point you're trying to make but it was just kind of a tongue in cheek comment by me that teachers should make more. I believe it - but there's no reason to debate it lol

I have some people very close to me who are teachers. Believe me, they are compensated fairly. Sure, 50k a year isn't enough for a family of 4 to live comfortably, but if you're single, or if you have a spouse who works that makes 50k, it's pretty darn easy to get by on a 100K a year in CNY. 6 or 6.5 hour days for 9 months out of the year, with a decent paycheck and amazing benefits is not something to complain about. I cannot stand when I hear teacher friends b*tch about such ludicrous things such as how their vacation days are mandated. I wish my employer said, "You can only take vacation for the last week in June, all of July & August, we'll throw in a week in Feb, another in April, a couple weeks around Christmas and give you every holiday under the sun off too." Cry me a river. Oh, and my wife's a teacher & I tell her this (probably more than I should :cool:).

It's not just 50-65. That's the point.
Initially, we gave teachers GREAT benefits to offset low pay. Now we give them GREAT pay for 180 days of work (vs 250 days for most folks), PLUS great benefits.
It is not a sustainable model.

What about the days where they work for free? Like writing lesson plans on Saturday and/or Sunday or during Winter or Spring break or during the summer? Or when they have to pay out of their own pockets for supplies that the school should provide, such as pencils, paper, etc.?

I mean don't just throw out $50,000 and act like that's what ever teacher makes lol. My sister teaches special needs and there is NO way her salary for the first 3 years was enough. I know the point you're trying to make but it was just kind of a tongue in cheek comment by me that teachers should make more. I believe it - but there's no reason to debate it lol

I agree. It's all over the board & depends on how many years you have. Teachers in the Syracuse probably start around 40K and those who have been in the district for 25+ years I'm sure are making pretty good money - definitely a lot more than 50K. It's all relative.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom