Skipping Bowl Games really hurt the two RBs | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Skipping Bowl Games really hurt the two RBs

I wonder which side of the argument All American T/E Jake Butt sits on after tearing his ACL in the Orange Bowl? A projected first round guy before his injury, through 3 rounds, still hasn't been picked up now. Lost a lot of money. Maybe since he did "the right thing" his teammates he went to war with, or the university he helped bring in $$$ for will make up the money for him.

He was drafted.

He received a $500,000 insurance award.

He will make money in the NFL - he'll be fine.

Sometimes money isn't the only issue for folks.

Hopefully, money isn't the only issue.

He was drafted.

Given the window and risk of long term advese health consequences of an NFL career I think maximizing your earnings is pretty important .

He was drafted.

I agree he won't be in dire need of money any time soon, but this is the NFL, where the average career lasts 2-3 years. Losing what may have been millions by slipping out of the first 2 rounds is something to weigh heavily. If he only ends up playing 2 or 3 years, those millions would come in really handy.
This article explains how the payouts are through each round. The guaranteed signing bonus between a first and seond round player vs a 5th round guy is substantial. In fact most 5th round huys are guaranteed no signing bonus and will only make money if they make the team.
NFL ROOKIE SALARIES, NFL DRAFT position, and MONEY explained

Last edited:
No, you wouldn't. Because that's the cost of school. That's not money in your pocket. Try paying for something with a calculus book...

Well, you can sell the $150 calculus book back to the bookstore at the end of the semester, and get about $25 for beer $.
Ahem, or so I've been told. Not that *I* ever did that sorta thing. :p

No, you wouldn't. Because that's the cost of school. That's not money in your pocket. Try paying for something with a calculus book...

Yes, I would.

I had to pay for school - it was a lot of money - even back then.

If somebody were to give me a $60,000.00 per year education for 4-5 years, I would take it in a heartbeat and thank the lord for the opportunity.

To get free undergraduate/graduate degrees in return for playing a game is a true gift.

And, if I had to do it, in the offseason, I'd do what I actually did as a kid - what all of us did as kids - work a summer job and make money to cover my beer, pizza and other expenses at school.

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Give a man a fishing rod, he eats for a lifetime.

L. O. L.

It is disappointing that so many in today's world laugh at a free education - that they have so little regard for what an education can do for a life.

Yes, I would.

I had to pay for school - it was a lot of money - even back then.

If somebody were to give me a $60,000.00 per year education for 4-5 years, I would take it in a heartbeat and thank the lord for the opportunity.

To get free undergraduate/graduate degrees in return for playing a game is a true gift.

And, if I had to do it, in the offseason, I'd do what I actually did as a kid - what all of us did as kids - work a summer job and make money to cover my beer, pizza and other expenses at school.

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Give a man a fishing rod, he eats for a lifetime.

Or, sign a 3 year deal with the NFL at the league minimum of 475K with a signing bonus and eat for several lifetimes. Even more so if you're a first round pick. Literally talking 10s of millions.

Given the window and risk of long term advese health consequences of an NFL career I think maximizing your earnings is pretty important .

Given the long term health consequences, I'm not sure I'd be playing football at all.

Or, sign a 3 year deal with the NFL at the league minimum of 475K with a signing bonus and eat for several lifetimes. Even more so if you're a first round pick. Literally talking 10s of millions.

Or win the lottery.

There are many ways to make money.

I like the odds of doing so with the skills and knowledge that a world class education can offer.

Or win the lottery.

There are many ways to make money.

I like the odds of doing so with the skills and knowledge that a world class education can offer.
And that's fine. FOR YOU. Maybe not for Fournette, or someone else.

Or, that a bunch of adults ride a kid's ass for making a financial decision that the kid deems best for him...

I am not making any judgment on a particular kid's decision.

Just to be clear.

I am pretty sure that I observed, only, that some kids are not necessarily motivated by the possibility of an NFL contact.

I am not making any judgment on a particular kid's decision.

Just to be clear.

I am pretty sure that I observed, only, that some kids are not necessarily motivated by the possibility of an NFL contact.
Some aren't. That's true. Steven's already determined that regardless of what happens, he will finish college first before anything else. Some others have come to a different decision. That, too, is fine.

I'm essentially railing against those, using you as a proxy (I appologize) who think that a kid is a selfish bastard for wanting to maximize his earning potential and strike while the iron's hot.

It is disappointing that so many in today's world laugh at a free education - that they have so little regard for what an education can do for a life.

I would love a free education. If my coach (see nick saban) was making 11 million dollars a year and my positional coach as a LB is making 950 thousand dollars ... maybe my alabama tuition ($29K) just isn't cutting it anymore.

Think about it.

If you went to play linebacker at Alabama in 1970's what'd you get? A free education.

If your kids go on to play at 'bama today... they get a free education.

It is VERY important.

But things change

I would love a free education. If my coach (see nick saban) was making 11 million dollars a year and my positional coach as a LB is making 950 thousand dollars ... maybe my alabama tuition ($29K) just isn't cutting it anymore.

Think about it.

If you went to play linebacker at Alabama in 1970's what'd you get? A free education.

If your kids go on to play at 'bama today... they get a free education.

It is VERY important.

But things change

Nobody is forcing anybody to play college football.

If you don't think it's fair then don't play.

Get a job.

Or, get your parents or the government to cover the cost of college.

I just don't see the unfairness of the play for tuition and costs model.

It just does not offend me.

Nobody is forcing anybody to play college football.

If you don't think it's fair then don't play.

Get a job.

Or, get your parents or the government to cover the cost of college.

I just don't see the unfairness of the play for tuition and costs model.

It just does not offend me.

They are getting a job and going pro on their timetable. Everyone is going to have to deal with it

FYI just read a story about John Lynch going back to school at age whatever he is and graduating.

I know people like to build this narrative that if you leave early you can't go back to school or something. But it's bs

strength : check
speed : check
competitive desire : incomplete.

i see it as a slap in the face to your school and team mates.

How NFL teams see it:
Competitive desire in meaningless exhibition game, placing your future earnings at risk: smart move, thank you for protecting yourself so we can draft a healthy player

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom