slightly OT: heading down to the USC game and want to.. | Syracusefan.com

slightly OT: heading down to the USC game and want to..

OburgOrange

Living Legend
go into the city with some Canuck friends coming with us, Any recommendations for dining, drinking and other debauchery? How about the best to get into the city from The Embassy suites Secaucus? Thanks

go into the city with some Canuck friends coming with us, Any recommendations for dining, drinking and other debauchery? How about the best to get into the city from The Embassy suites Secaucus? Thanks
These r some places I have gone. You woll meed to Google.them. Dowm the Hatch in the Village for wings and beer. Its an NYU bar. Heartland Brewery. Great food and beer. A couple of mid-towm locations. Stout (across the street from MSG) . Gingerman and Red Rocks.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I second the Gingerman. Great place. Over 60 beers on tap.

Gingerman and Down the Hatch are both great bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are you looking for?

• Best BBQ by far is at Hill Country. 26th St.between 6th Ave and Broadway. Get the moist brisket and pork ribs and thank me later. It's Texas style (no sauce) though so nothing like Dino.
  • Best steaks in Manhattan are at Striphouse. Not cheap though. Make a reservation now. If you're really feeling adventurous for meat, head to Peter Luger's in Brooklyn. Need a reservation there too.
  • Duke's is a good sports bar just off of Park Ave on 19th Street. You'll often see a Syracuse flag flying out front, so you'll feel welcome. Old Town Bar is on 18th on the other side of Park. Classic NYC bar. Usually on the best bar in America list. Pete's Tavern is also great. On Irving near Duke's as well--it's another old NYC classic. You can hit all three for a nice bar crawl. Start at Old Town, hit Duke's, land at Pete's. Two other nearby dives are Watering Hole and No Idea.

Best way to get into the City from Secaucus is definitely by train. Check out NJ Transit for the schedule. Trains run basically every 10 minutes direct to NY Penn from Secaucus. Got to be careful, though. Last train back out of the City is between 1:30 and 2:30.

It's touristy, but hey I'm a tourist, I always like stopping in McSorley's at night. Lower East side, E 7th St. and 3rd Ave.

Good stopping place in the afternoon is Eataly, right next to the Flat Iron building, 5th Ave and 24th St. There's a rooftop beer garden (14th floor I think). I wasn't disappointed.

Also, if you come into NY Penn using the train, Local (34th and 8th) is a nice bar right outside the station in the afternoon with an outdoor beer garden (depending on the weather) and some good typical bar food.

A couple of notes...

I'm pretty certain NJ Transit stops at that hotel... if that's the case, the bus is by far the easiest (depending what hour you go in) to get to the city. But check b/c the bus (in most stops) runs once an hour on the way out, up to 130 I believe. The train is an option, but be prepared to pay around $20 cabby each way to get to/from the station. And late night after beers, the bus is a breeze.

Down the hatch is fun.. .but the definition of dive originated there. Its downstairs in a basement with orange lights and semi decent tvs. Having said that, I used to frequent it on sundays b/c of there $22 all you can drink beer and wings from m1-6. (its really 3 pitchers per person, but with some tipping you'll never go through 3).

Really depends what you want to do. I'm not a big fan of the other bars so I'll stay quiet!

It's touristy, but hey I'm a tourist, I always like stopping in McSorley's at night. Lower East side, E 7th St. and 3rd Ave.
I'll be there on Friday in the afternoon at some point. It's a regular stop on the rare occasion that I'm in NYC.

Also, if you come into NY Penn using the train, Local (34th and 8th) is a nice bar right outside the station in the afternoon with an outdoor beer garden (depending on the weather) and some good typical bar food.
And one of the bartenders there has some