So, Elijah Robinson? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

So, Elijah Robinson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you think he should be removed already. Wait…..are you Brent Axe by any chance?
I’m saying the first impression usually does matter in football and in life. Poor tackling, playing players out of position, a scheme that takes away their ability to attack instinctively… that’s not going to go away during the season unfortunately.

Duce Barron and McDonald played poorly. I expect them all to pick it up but Duce worries me. He was beat often.

Yep, one play Duece made the wrong read and left #5 on his own 1 on 1 going long and was way late, if the pass was better it was a TD. The DB's tackled like Deon Sanders.

Thought the DL was read and react and ended up being pushed around. May miss that former Bama man a lot more than I thought.

Last edited:
Not to harp on officiating and not excusing poor performance but you can knock off two Ohio scores that came courtesy of blatant holds in front of officials.

Take out those long runs and your also talking about 75 fewer rushing yards.

Not to harp on officiating and not excusing poor performance but you can knock off two Ohio scores that came courtesy of blatant holds in front of officials.

Take out those long runs and your also talking about 75 fewer rushing yards.
There’s been some poor officiating in general so far this season. The Colorado / NDSU game was similar.

There’s been some poor officiating in general so far this season. The Colorado / NDSU game was similar.

The officiating has been really really poor when it’s a P4 team playing a mid major or FCS school.

I believe some of this comes from the games being at the P4 school and having officials from the visiting teams conference.

The officiating has been really really poor when it’s a P4 team playing a mid major or FCS school.

I believe some of this comes from the games being at the P4 school and having officials from the visiting teams conference.
Yeah it’s been lousy in the few games I watched so far.

Honestly it didn’t seem like we lost a whole lot from last year, and I thought we were an above average D last year, so I’m at least hopeful that that they can be at least an average D this year.

Or maybe we miss Caleb and Stefon more that we thought.

I also think we played a very vanilla defense.

We looked afraid to hit.

But honestly, we did play a lot of bend don’t break defense and if that’s the case, I am okay with it.

Giving up fgs when you have an offense like ours is 100% okay

Lack of pash rush as usual, and we looked awful slow. Hopefully that’s getting used to a new scheme, but something didn’t feel right. I was most impressed with Watson. I think he plays more as the season goes on. Also, Barnes showed his age not containing giving up that long run. Just can’t have that. Think he will be good in pass pro, but let’s hope he doesn’t have to make too many tackles. Barron not only was a walking penalty, but he missed a couple tackles and lost contain as well. Lots of improvements to make in one week to stop GT on the ground. Let’s hope Heard played ahead of Sparrow because he’s better in pass pro, otherwise he looked kind of small, and not the best tackler. I always thought Sparrow performed and should be the back up, especially if we need help stopping the run.

Also, worried McCord is going to get hurt taking a beating like that. We finally have the playmakers we always wanted. Never been so stacked with OG, Peña, Zeed, LeQuint, etc, but now it looks like the defense is light years behind.
Sparrow played a lot. Heard is a head of ZMG in the lb group.

Duce Barron and McDonald played poorly. I expect them all to pick it up but Duce worries me. He was beat often.
I also think we played a very vanilla defense.

We looked afraid to hit.

But honestly, we did play a lot of bend don’t break defense and if that’s the case, I am okay with it.

Giving up fgs when you have an offense like ours is 100% okay
They were good in the red zone.

Seemed like a number of tackles for loss.

The big runs made them look bad and lack of reel coverage on their primary receiver.

Agree tackling needs to improve.

Sparrow played a lot. Heard is a head of ZMG in the lb group.
Yeah and i thought heplayed well except on option score. Fran ripped him and so did E. I think Sparrow was supposed to be pitch man instead of qb forcing it back into our defenders.

Haven’t watched the game on tv yet but from watching them at the game the run fits were out of wack. Hard to tell who was supposed to wrong arm and who was supposed to set the edge on certain plays. I saw backers over running zone runs. Which allowed cut backs.

I will say this, it’s a new scheme. Could take awhile for them to get used to it. Takes time to gel with new transfers, new staff and new scheme. They have some talented individual defenders but dedense is about playing together. It also takes trust and communication. Knowing that your team mates are gonna occupy their gap, do their job.

Edit: tackling was also sloppy. That has nothing to do with the new scheme. Thats effort and desire.

Last edited:
Game had a week one feel against WMU 2018. Offense was mostly playing well after first series, but far too many defensive breakdowns, the plus is we tightened up in red zone

They need to figure out personnel groupings. I think they tinkered a lot and probably overdid it.
spot on. But, I think that there are so many kids that are extremely close in the coaches eyes that needed to see how kids do in game situations vs practice. My eyes told me that the youngsters are ballers on the D side. Barnes is the real deal and so is Heard.

Gave up 100 yds on two runs. 43 on two more. Clean that up and it’s not awful.

Defense was good in the red zone and excellent on 3rd down (2-11). 4 sacks, 10 tackles for loss. That’s very good.

Pass defense was good.

Did I see us play a 3-3-5 alot of the time? Seemed odd to continue that from the last staff
Diggs played all over. They moved him to the middle of a 3-3-5 look. To me it looks like a 3.5-3.5-5. The tackles and strong side end always play with a hand down. Nose tackle lined up over center 0 technique. The other tackle lined up in 3 technique. Simmons and Jacquez moved between the 3 and 4.

I will say this, it’s a new scheme. Could take awhile for them to get used to it.
Didn’t Brian ward also run a 4-2-5?

Fran coaches the DBs, btw. Would’ve expected better play there. Please move Duce back to corner.

Gave up 100 yds on two runs. 43 on two more. Clean that up and it’s not awful.

Defense was good in the red zone and excellent on 3rd down (2-11). 4 sacks, 10 tackles for loss. That’s very good.

Pass defense was good.
On that first long run Wax blitzed the back side B gap, Hastings got destroyed and Wilson trips over him. That created the hole. After that was some bad pursuit angles and sloppy tackling

Last edited:
Haven’t watched the game on tv yet but from watching them at the game the run fits were out of wack. Hard to tell who was supposed to wrong arm and who was supposed to set the edge on certain plays. I saw backers over running zone runs. Which allowed cut backs.

I will say this, it’s a new scheme. Could take awhile for them to get used to it. Takes time to gel with new transfers, new staff and new scheme. They have some talented individual defenders but dedense is about playing together. It also takes trust and communication. Knowing that your team mates are gonna occupy their gap, do their job.

Edit: tackling was also sloppy. That has nothing to do with the new scheme. Thats effort and desire.

Mark Herzlich made at least a few comments during the game that nobody was setting the edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom