So, Elijah Robinson? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

So, Elijah Robinson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was co-DC for one season. Being the sole DC, with a greater set of responsibilities, is a new role.
He was co-DC for 3/4 of a season that was a mess and the HC left. Then he took over interim HC role.

This is the first time he has been the defensive coordinator by himself. It’s a new role.

But…. He’s from Camden.

That last TD. Diggs has the QB on option, Sparrow has the pitch man but he read it slow and got held. Penalty should have been called but it happens.

Im more concern with Duce on that play. He should have been coming down hill immediately for run support. He didnt have a wr over there to account for. He's still learning the scheme and safety position.

Last edited:
Haven’t watched the game on tv yet but from watching them at the game the run fits were out of wack. Hard to tell who was supposed to wrong arm and who was supposed to set the edge on certain plays. I saw backers over running zone runs. Which allowed cut backs.

I will say this, it’s a new scheme. Could take awhile for them to get used to it. Takes time to gel with new transfers, new staff and new scheme. They have some talented individual defenders but dedense is about playing together. It also takes trust and communication. Knowing that your team mates are gonna occupy their gap, do their job.

Edit: tackling was also sloppy. That has nothing to do with the new scheme. Thats effort and desire.
Or being a relatively new DC. This is basic football. Who is no 3 on d that just likes to pop his shoulder in a little but has no intention of wrapping?

Btw Tyreek Chappell is a freaking stud

Gave up 100 yds on two runs. 43 on two more. Clean that up and it’s not awful.

Defense was good in the red zone and excellent on 3rd down (2-11). 4 sacks, 10 tackles for loss. That’s very good.

Pass defense was good.
Spot on. There was some poor tackling and the big runs made it look worse that it was.
I’ll take 10 tfl and 2-11 on third down every day.

Spot on. There was some poor tackling and the big runs made it look worse that it was.
I’ll take 10 tfl and 2-11 on third down every day.
Secondary looked pretty good but will be interesting to see when they have to guard weapons. Given they practice against our o I would be surprised if they are not decent

Or being a relatively new DC. This is basic football. Who is no 3 on d that just likes to pop his shoulder in a little but has no intention of wrapping?

That’s the transfer from ND Clarence Lewis

There were 100 missed tackles. Thats not Elijah’s fault. Barron had a terrible game. Their O line is strong. Changes will be made. Improvements will be made

It may not be his “fault” but it sure as heck is his responsibility to fix.

The spotlight is on Coach E Rob, Coach Wright and Coach Schaefer to correct the poor tackling, the poor angles, and the soft defense.

The d line failed to demand double teams or get off one on one blocks which allowed o linemen to get up on to our linebackers who had trouble getting off blocks. For those who think the Ohio o-line was good and the RB was a P4 back, Georgia Tech is better and has a roster full of P4 players.

The safety play was not good. Poor angles and poor tackling; diving (leaving your feet before making contact), not running thru the ball carrier, dropping heads (you can’t hit what you can’t see) and not wrapping up are all fixable, but will they be? I’m waiting to see our 6’4”, 230 lb safety stop diving and actually run through and blow up a ball carrier. Poor coverage? #8 and #0 looked bad in man coverage.

I don’t understand some of the player rotations. Where was ZMG (#22)? I expected to see more of him in the second half. I hope he’s not banged up. Where was C. Perry (#19) at safety? Coaches went to BJ Long (#26) who was ineffective (poor coverage, missed tackle). He got pulled. I saw Schaefer talking to him. Long (a true freshman from Camden) went back in and was still ineffective. I never saw Perry (a third year player) who reportedly had been alternating with Long during fall camp. I don’t know if Perry would have performed better but I would have liked to see him have a chance when the guy in front of him is not being productive.

I thought we were going to go hunting not fishing?

On offense how do you explain Allen only getting 5 carried in the first half?

The inability to punch it in from 3 yards out is concerning. I was told “big guys beat up little guys”.

What does the A in DART stand for? Accountability? Good, let’s see some accountability. I’ve seen the grade sheets from both scrimmages and we continue to play guys who did not grade well; loafs, missed assignments and missed tackles. Poor performance in practice should not be rewarded with playing time. It’s time to walk the walk.

Go Orange.

Our linebackers looked slow. Mikel jones is not walking through that door.
I saw a lot of bad angles and failing to wrap up.

I also saw a powerful, fast, shifty back on Ohio.

It might bea case of him making us look bad instead of us making him look good.

It also felt like we played really straight up with no tricks on defense. They took away the passing game almost entirely, and let them get their yards on the ground. If not for one 46 yard TD run at the end of the game, aided by a fairly blatant hold on the edge, we win 38-15 and only give up 390 total yards.

I think some of the consternation is overblown.

We all wanted a good old fashioned stomping, but our team did pretty well and had a chance to get a lot of the kinks out.

We'll know a lot more next week.

Didn’t Brian ward also run a 4-2-5?

Fran coaches the DBs, btw. Would’ve expected better play there. Please move Duce back to corner.

the CB play was fine. It was the tackling that needs improvement. Safety play was bad.

That last TD. Diggs has the QB on option, Sparrow has the pitch man but he read is slow and got held. Penalty should have been called but it happens.

Im more concern with Duce on that play. He should have been coming down hill immediately for run support. He didnt have a wr over there to account for. He's still learning the scheme and safety position.
He was insanely out of position…he should have been within 3-4 yards of the guy on that pitch…and he wasn’t even in the screen shot.

I keep seeing mentions of Hastings but through the first half I didn’t see him on the field. Starters were Wilson #4 and Jobity #94. Then Perry #92 and Watson #88. Am I blind ? Hastings is #9.

It may not be his “fault” but it sure as heck is his responsibility to fix.

The spotlight is on Coach E Rob, Coach Wright and Coach Schaefer to correct the poor tackling, the poor angles, and the soft defense.

The d line failed to demand double teams or get off one on one blocks which allowed o linemen to get up on to our linebackers who had trouble getting off blocks. For those who think the Ohio o-line was good and the RB was a P4 back, Georgia Tech is better and has a roster full of P4 players.

The safety play was not good. Poor angles and poor tackling; diving (leaving your feet before making contact), not running thru the ball carrier, dropping heads (you can’t hit what you can’t see) and not wrapping up are all fixable, but will they be? I’m waiting to see our 6’4”, 230 lb safety stop diving and actually run through and blow up a ball carrier. Poor coverage? #8 and #0 looked bad in man coverage.

I don’t understand some of the player rotations. Where was ZMG (#22)? I expected to see more of him in the second half. I hope he’s not banged up. Where was C. Perry (#19) at safety? Coaches went to BJ Long (#26) who was ineffective (poor coverage, missed tackle). He got pulled. I saw Schaefer talking to him. Long (a true freshman from Camden) went back in and was still ineffective. I never saw Perry (a third year player) who reportedly had been alternating with Long during fall camp. I don’t know if Perry would have performed better but I would have liked to see him have a chance when the guy in front of him is not being productive.

I thought we were going to go hunting not fishing?

On offense how do you explain Allen only getting 5 carried in the first half?

The inability to punch it in from 3 yards out is concerning. I was told “big guys beat up little guys”.

What does the A in DART stand for? Accountability? Good, let’s see some accountability. I’ve seen the grade sheets from both scrimmages and we continue to play guys who did not grade well; loafs, missed assignments and missed tackles. Poor performance in practice should not be rewarded with playing time. It’s time to walk the walk.

Go Orange.
Who on D do you think should play more?

Who on D do you think should play more?
Not to hijack your question for him but I think, Marad Watson should definitely get some more reps and try to rotate in linebackers and see who’s gonna tackle because Jamal Haynes isn’t getting taken down with arm tackle and diving at his feet.

Thats not taught. Im sure the staff emphasize fundamentals on a every day basis. Just have to coach them out of those bad habits.

I think some of the consternation is overblown.
Sir, we are peas in a pod:
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who recognizes that my discomfiting "run defense anxiety" is merely overblown consternation. It must be averred however, that overblown consternation is preferable to undervalued apprehension.

Remember, if your Overblown Consternation lasts longer than 4 hours contact an English professor.

In summation, if we can clean up the sloppy semantics and shed some interfering syntax, we'll be ready next Sat. for Grammar Tech.

Sir, we are peas in a pod:
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who recognizes that my discomfiting "run defense anxiety" is merely overblown consternation. It must be averred however, that overblown consternation is preferable to undervalued apprehension.

Remember, if your Overblown Consternation lasts longer than 4 hours contact an English professor.

In summation, if we can clean up the sloppy semantics and shed some interfering syntax, we'll be ready next Sat. for Grammar Tech.
The defensive back 7 need to stop trying to make look at me plays, and just make sure to wrap up on tackles, and get the runner down.

What new role? He’s been a DC and an interim HC

Diggs played all over. They moved him to the middle of a 3-3-5 look. To me it looks like a 3.5-3.5-5. The tackles and strong side end always play with a hand down. Nose tackle lined up over center 0 technique. The other tackle lined up in 3 technique. Simmons and Jacquez moved between the 3 and 4.
Love Diggs but he needs to learn a spin move.

I keep seeing mentions of Hastings but through the first half I didn’t see him on the field. Starters were Wilson #4 and Jobity #94. Then Perry #92 and Watson #88. Am I blind ? Hastings is #9.
I second this. I didn’t not see or hear mention of Hastings at all. Did he play?

Here are some positives:

Barnes and Watson look like they belong out there.

Barron played like a moron, he can only go up from here.

Lots of tackles for loss.

We did tighten things up in the red zone.

Diggs took himself out of a bunch of plays, but is a legitimate terror on the outside.

Perry made his presence felt.

Unlikely future opponents will be able to hold to the degree we saw today without drawing a single flag.

Offense wins in college football anyway, and McCord/Gadsden/Pena/Allen is a really difficult group to defend.

You mean complaints about the (all-MAC) refereeing crew weren't just "fan being fans and Higgins and McPherson suggested?

Yep, one play Duece made the wrong read and left #5 on his own 1 on 1 going long and was way late, if the pass was better it was a TD. The DB's tackled like Deon Sanders.

Thought the DL was read and react and ended up being pushed around. May miss that former Bama man a lot more than I thought.

Duce played like he did at LSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors