So much for football... | Syracusefan.com

So much for football...

njcuse

Scout Team
I always look forward to basketball season, starting with about the day the previous season ends for SU, but I carry the hope that football season will carry me through the Fall, hasten the weeks to bb. Not happening this year. I had expectations for this year's team, for Hunt. Those are pretty much gone. This team will be 2-4 after next week. The Jets are not in a much better position, though pro teams are a bit harder to read. The Giants are my one last hope for a positive FB experience this season, and the book is still certainly still out on them. I'm not overly psyched about the coming bb season; so many question marks with both returning players and key frosh. But I am excited about watching this young, talented team develop as individuals and as a team. I'm not expecting a great team, but I am expecting a team that I will enjoy watching grow and perhaps surprise me with their success. I am going to enjoy the next few weeks, my daughter's marriage next week, life with my newly adopted dog, and all of the little things in life that I most cherish. I'm too old to wish weeks away, but I am tuned into bb season now as far as sports go.

And would you still love them if SU BBall had a mediocre .500 season, with a losing record in the ACC? That's about the worst case scenario I can imagine - equivalent to what's happening on the FBall side right now.
You gotta keep rooting for the next game for our guys, regardless of the performance to date.

A bad basketball season would be an aberration. Staff and infrastructure are first class regardless of the results over any possible future aberration on the court. It is a program that merits respect; always has, always will.
The football program is broken. It got us into the ACC and for that I am thankful, but beyond that it is a typical bottom feeder.

I'm too old to wish weeks away, .[/QUOTE]

Yes! That is certainly a shift in consciousness that I had beginning about age 60. Yearning for the next season, whether it is 7 months away or 3 weeks away (hooray!) is a time waster now.

It is very hard for me with the football team. I have learned that I need to put up a boundary because my feeling badly for those players doesn't help them at all. I have season tickets and I am going to the game and I will root root ROOT but I must confess a certain dread. Also, my pal Gary has a high school reunion and I can't find anyone to go to that game with me! No one at work, no friends, no one on the football board. Sheesh. You think I will have that problem for a bball game?

So much more pleasant to anticipate bball, which we do because, as AlaskaSU says, we have a first class program. We have evolved. I like that word. It doesn't feel we'll be backsliding any time soon, if ever again. Human beings may at times act like slime, but we will never again BE slime. :)

Enjoy your daughter's wedding, njcuse!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom