So my wife ... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

So my wife ...

Seriously, I mean life sometimes gets in the way of things...this is not 1 of those things.

Not only do we now expect you to watch, but those who aren't going expect u in the chat room.
And one more thing. For those of us who actually have a legit reason to miss the game (family funeral) I want the OP to give a full game synopsis at 6:37. Gives you 7 minutes from when tv coverage ends to write a 1000 word report. Good day sir.

Amen, Marsh. When I got engaged in '98, the first thing I said was "Honey you have 3 full months to choose. June, July, or August." I can't stand being invited to weddings during football and hoops season. Terrible.

People thought my wife was kidding when she told them that we did this.
The two worst months to attend a wedding IMO are October and March. October you have college and NFL, you have baseball playoffs. March is pretty self explanatory.

Two years ago we got invited to go on a wine tour with friends and some of their friends (who I didnt know). Well the Giants were playing that Sunday (might have been against Seattle...cant remember off the top of my head). Well it was a back and forth game (that I was watching on my phone and getting dirty looks from one of the wives...F her). We pull up to the last winery of the day and I dont even get out of the limo bus as I watch the last 5 minutes of the game which the Giants lost and I blame it solely on the fact that I was not home to watch it.

That was the last time I agreed to go on a wine tour during football season.

I'm divorced now, but was married for 30 years and my ex-wife would never have considered scheduling something on a football Saturday. Hell, two of my kids were born on superbowl Sunday and she was nice enough to have them at home so I could watch the game.
Hard nosed shunt right there.

Here's how you avoid this in the future: everyone has a smartphone, right? Set up a Google calendar and sync it to both of your phones. Put all of the SU games in the calendar first, then all of your other crap. Next time she wants to schedule something, must check the shared calendar, and she should know you can't double-book, especially on Syracuse games.

This is how we keep track of our crazy schedule and it helps keep us both sane, what with all of the kids events, Dr appointments, etc.

I've been using the written calendar system for 15 years. We have a flip calendar on our fridge and the first thing I do is write every game on it along with my golf schedule. No issues.

My respect for Orange79 has grown immensely after reading these threads. I'll let him let the cat out of the bag, but he had a major conflict Saturday. And he will be at the game. Well done sir!

Happens almost every time ...the parts about recording the game, keeping the radio off, and asking my wife to check the TV for me that is ;-)

If I may add my 2 cents worth of advice:
2cents.jpg

Change your forum name and atavar because from now own, when you comment on something, somebody's going to bust your chops and ask if you have your wife's permission to do so. I do, however, admire your courage for starting this in the first place, but, c'mon man... didn't you anticipate the reaction you would create??? This thread has gone viral! Time to regroup, friend, and start anew.:(

Seriously, I mean life sometimes gets in the way of things...this is not 1 of those things.

Not only do we now expect you to watch, but those who aren't going expect u in the chat room.

LOL! Here's what I've found in my life: The times when I have said, "just screw it all, I'm watching the game" while someone is pissed at me (like my mom when I was younger) because I'm not being "social enough" I've watched Syracuse, the Giants and the Knicks lose. Well, the Knicks lose anyway, so that doesn't really count.

When I just go with it and miss a live game, the odds have been SLIGHTLY better. 65%/35% Syracuse loses this one. You can see my dilemma.

had a lunch date scheduled for me and her last Saturday at a friend's house. Plans fell through and my wife says to me, "Hey, can we do lunch with them next Saturday, August 31st?" I said, "Yeah. Schedule it."

Come Sunday evening we got talking and I said I needed to be home on Saturday by 3:30 for game time. She said, "That's when I scheduled lunch."

WHAT??!! Who schedules lunch at 3:30!!?? She made plans at that time because she had other plans between noon and 3. That's dang selfish.

So I revolted: "That's the first game of the season! You know we don't schedule anything the first game of the season! It's Penn State!" She had no idea that was Syracuse's first game, let alone that 3:30 was exactly the time of kickoff. Didn't think I needed to make it clear since I was scheduled for lunch.

I had not one thing scheduled for any Saturday afternoon the last 51 weeks of the year and now the fates of the universe have collided to foil the one day of the year I look forward to outside of Christmas. This cannot be happening! It's a sick joke, and I'm the punchline.

Needless to say, I'm missing the game. I'll DVR it ...I guess.

Let's think about this rationally. If you absolutely must maintain this double date with this couple (which you shouldn't have to), how about you just invite them over to your house for a cookout?

Mine basically told I couldnt go to the game. So I just got tickets for me and couple friends. She cried for a good hour but she is cool with it now.

Go cuse!

Geesh! That's one way to do it, I guess. The insight on this board has been greatly appreciated and duly noted.

I just had a nervous breakdown for you. You're welcome... Now I'm eating mustard on a Pop Tart while rolling my own garlic cigarettes.

Confused? Me too. Time to step up and say no to your wife. This is the SU Football season opener. Lunches happen every freaking day. Not SU Football season openers.

She should be rocking her Orange thong that day. ;)

Trying to play this breezy on the outside, but my inside is doing all those things. Thanks for the sympathy.

This is an awful thread, just decline going. Good grief, it's a spouse, not someone who owns you.

And if that doesn't work fake an ambiguous stomach type illness.

See, and I disagree. I think this thread is great. Maybe it's because I like to see others suffer, not sure. Maybe it's because I like the creative ways that people bust the balls of he who suffers. That could be more likely.

I tend to always throw out the 1AA as my sacrifice game. Ok, I'll go to dinner and sacrifice the one thing I love in the fall. See what a great husband I am? (so yeah, let's keep scheduling those until I accidentally have a kid nine months after one of them).

Let's not discuss the Clemson game. I'll probably watch much of it, but either way, my event will have me drinking up to my eye level for free with people I enjoy sharing cocktails with.

I would cancel the plans, change the plans or do dinner. Hell you are past lunch anyways. I never schedule events when I want to game watch, and my husband understands if we make that mistake and we have to cancel. My friends know also. It comes with the territory of being friends with me. Syracuse comes first, friends, second, lol!!! And I am a very good and loyal friend. Just don't ask me to make plans during a game.

Finally, the calm, rational voice of a woman. Where were you when I was dating?

I'm in a wedding, in the Adirondacks. I'm praying to all that is holy that I'll have reception.

This is the only circumstance, save birth and death that I would miss a game for. I can't be mad at the couple, they're nature like folks who do a ton of hiking and climbing, Syracuse has no relevance to them.

These are my wife's friends who I've become pretty tight with.

That being said, my wife knows the schedules. Get the wife to buy in, make it fun, take friends, booze it up if that's your thing, MAKE HER LOVE IT MAN. Life is much easier at that point.

My respect for Orange79 has grown immensely after reading these threads. I'll let him let the cat out of the bag, but he had a major conflict Saturday. And he will be at the game. Well done sir!
Wife's birthday. Family plans already in cement. Since we moved to MA, she doesn't get to see as much of her family as she is used to. So birthdays are a big deal. She agreed to these plans without realizing the game was that day. As we proceed to get to crunch time, she says, "it would be fun to go to the game." Bingo - family plans changed. Best. Wife. Ever.

Please stop by in Lot L and wish Happy Birthday to a former SUMB Flag Girl.

Now I need to try not to be 'that guy' and not get sloppy drunk before the first hour of tailgating is over. ;)

This is an awful thread, just decline going. Good grief, it's a spouse, not someone who owns you.

And if that doesn't work fake an ambiguous stomach type illness.

Orijinal, listen to Bayside. Your answer lies in the wisdom of Ferris Bueller...

ferris10.jpg

Wife's birthday. Family plans already in cement. Since we moved to MA, she doesn't get to see as much of her family as she is used to. So birthdays are a big deal. She agreed to these plans without realizing the game was that day. As we proceed to get to crunch time, she says, "it would be fun to go to the game." Bingo - family plans changed. Best. Wife. Ever.

Now I need to try not to be 'that guy' and not get sloppy drunk before the first hour of tailgating is over. ;)
Wow...wonderful story all around. I won't be at the game, but give her my regards and a well deserved happy birthday.

Okay let's play lets pretend.

It's October 17, 1987. Syracuse is playing Penn State. You planned to buy tickets, or if no luck you were looking forward to watching the game on TV...BUT...your wife informs you that she has basically unilaterally made plans for you that day. You cave and your ranking as a Syracuse football fan drops quicker than the snow in Oswego in January.

You miss this...you regret it for the rest of your life.

Who knows what potentially historical SU football event will happen this Saturday?

Syracuse (6-0) Routs Penn State by 48-21
By GORDON S. WHITE Jr., Special to the New York Times
Published: October 18
Don McPherson, the Syracuse quarterback, threw an 80-yard touchdown pass on the first play from scrimmage against Penn State today. And that was just the beginning of a surprisingly easy upset over the 1986 national champion Nittany Lions

Needless to say, I'm missing the game. I'll DVR it ...I guess.

What are you talking about? are you the guy that switched to being a Duke fan for a year b/c he was trying to impress his girlfriend?

Sorry honey - SU game's at 3:30pm - cancel some of your between 12pm and 3pm and move lunch up b/c I'm watching the game.

end of story.

I haven't read the rest of the 5 pages of this thread - hopefully the OP was a joke and I'm not in on it yet. wow (n)

Def see you in lot L. Bringing the whole OburgOrange crew with me. Looking forward to it!

What are you talking about? are you the guy that switched to being a Duke fan for a year b/c he was trying to impress his girlfriend?

Sorry honey - SU game's at 3:30pm - cancel some of your between 12pm and 3pm and move lunch up b/c I'm watching the game.

end of story.

I haven't read the rest of the 5 pages of this thread - hopefully the OP was a joke and I'm not in on it yet. wow (n)

No joke.

My fiance let me buy a new 65" Samsung LED TV for the basement and I'm not only having a bunch of friends over to watch football all day on Saturday, but she's going to be downing drinks right along with us.

I win.

And yes, I know that this will end once we're married.

Already see a problem...note the bold text above...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom