So the Dome's Shelf Life is now under Review: | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

So the Dome's Shelf Life is now under Review:

Yeah, that's the same outfit that couldn't get a minor league ballpark built in the general proximity of people. There ain't no billion dollars in the state budget for what this would cost. Right now Shelly is protecting every ass grabbing member of his caucus.

I doubt it would be $1B in today's dollars. Theoretically the land is already bought. Cuse would build one around 50k seats I'd imagine, smaller than the NFL retractable roof stadiums. The unknown is the cost to build roadways and 1 or 2 exits off I-481. Also, remember it would serve as a basketball arena too. SU would get easily a few million a year in naming rights and more suite income. I'd imagine SU would have to allow a mixed use of residential, retail and lodging around it. It would be a game changer for Cuse.

The new stadium will cost a lot, with or with out a roof, let alone a retractable roof. That will be the single issue to stop development of a new stadium. The roof system is expensive but making it retractable is not that much more expensive when compared to the fixed roof price or the overall cost of the stadium.

“The high cost comes in if you’re talking about adding a roof to a design that never had one to begin with. Putting a fixed roof on an open-air stadium could cost as much as $150 to $180 million depending on design,” said Pete Fervoy, business development manager at Uni-Systems, “Adding retractability to a fixed roof design could increase that total cost to $200 million, and I believe that’s where this misinformation is coming from.”

“If the $791 million stadium budget includes a roof, making that roof retractable would add less than $20 million – only 2.5% of the total cost,” said Fervoy. “We just want to set the record straight for Minnesotans. Making a fixed roof a retractable roof would not cost $200 million.”

“The cost to make the roof retractable is only 2.5% of the total cost,” added Waldron. “This 2.5% is the difference between a functional stadium and a great stadium with world-class attraction and multipurpose capabilities.”

http://www.prlog.org/10662081-real-cost-of-vikings-stadium-retractable-roof.html

Per Wikipedia, Houston's Reliant Stadium would cost about $449MM in today's (2013) dollars. Reliant is a multi-purpose building but does not house baseball.

Realistically, Syracuse would need factor in the new stadium as a multi-purpose building and would need to consider baseball if that is the direction they are headed. The structure would need to be able to handle the Upstate NY weather, too.

One thing to keep in mind when discussing the cost is any additional income with a new complex but even more so, any increase in income for the University turning the Dome real estate into academic property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt it would be $1B in today's dollars. Theoretically the land is already bought. Cuse would build one around 50k seats I'd imagine, smaller than the NFL retractable roof stadiums. The unknown is the cost to build roadways and 1 or 2 exits off I-481. Also, remember it would serve as a basketball arena too. SU would get easily a few million a year in naming rights and more suite income. I'd imagine SU would have to allow a mixed use of residential, retail and lodging around it. It would be a game changer for Cuse.

OK - so cut it in half.

As far as naming rights go, the Nats don't have a deal. Who is the big CNY company that is going to pay the Cuse 7 to 8 figures a year for that?

CTO some time ago compared premium pricing with us and Louisville, and it wasn't close. I just don't see where that type of money comes from.

The old west archway entrance to Archbold was beautiful - at least I thought it was as a kid.
My first game too! I sat in the wooden bleachers in the east end zone. The seats sucked but what a beautiful october day.

I remember when I went to my first game at age 9 - in October, 1968.

We walked from the Quad into the northeast gate.

And I walked over and realized - wow - the field is way below the entrance level of the stadium!

I looked down and saw the blue jerseys and orange pants and helmets and the green grass.

It just knocked me out.

It was sunny and beautiful. (I think that was one of the last times that I attended a game after that where the weather was actually nice - I can think of maybe three or four games after over the next eleven years when it was warm and sunny).

But the first experience for me at Archbold - SU v. Pitt - 1968 - was a great moment in my life - it was what brings me to this sight every day.

Good points to remember: Opportunity benefits of a new stadium and opportunity benefits of future academic property.

OK - so cut it in half.

As far as naming rights go, the Nats don't have a deal. Who is the big CNY company that is going to pay the Cuse 7 to 8 figures a year for that?

CTO some time ago compared premium pricing with us and Louisville, and it wasn't close. I just don't see where that type of money comes from.

Regarding naming rights, anything is better than what we receive now. Carrier paid a one time fee and it remains until the Dome is gone.

I have no response to who would pay an annual fee, I wish I did. Hopefully, someone with deep pockets and a love for all things Orange.

Regarding naming rights, anything is better than what we receive now. Carrier paid a one time fee and it remains until the Dome is gone.

I have no response to who would pay an annual fee, I wish I did. Hopefully, someone with deep pockets and a love for all things Orange.

There are plenty of people like that who need to contribute to athletics first.

OK - so cut it in half.

The naming company does not need to be local.

The Dome is a national venue.

I'm sure Carrier Corp (UTC) would pay a one time fee of $4M you know inflation and all for life time naming rights. :p

How bout the Turning Stone Dome?

The naming company does not need to be local.

The Dome is a national venue.

Good luck selling it.

Again, the Nats don't have it. And they can get anyone at this point.

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but is there any rule against someone still buying the rights to slip their name in front of Carrier?

Example: The Nationwide Insurance Carrier Dome, The Swedish Penis Pump Carrier Dome.

I'm sure there is something in the contract that says no, but just wondering.

That makes this an even more ridiculous argument. The entire Syracuse endowment is only $940 million. I don't think that spending 2/3's of it on one facility would go over well with the Trustees.

Just spend another $20 million on a major renovation to add a brick facade and interior improvements and be thankful that we don't have to build a new facility.
If a new stadium is agreed to and becomes a reality, the endowment will not be touched.

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but is there any rule against someone still buying the rights to slip their name in front of Carrier?

Example: The Nationwide Insurance Carrier Dome, The Swedish Penis Pump Carrier Dome.

I'm telling ya... Trojan should be the sponsor. Welcome to the condome!

Old discussion, but I'll jump in. Personally, I'd paint all the floors (easier than the benches) orange and call it a day. Then, in a minimum of 10 years, I'd start talking new stadium.
I would not paint the floors. Too much wear and the paint will not only start to look atrocious, it will probably flake off. Might make it kind of slippery when wet also.

I still am baffled by why they haven't painted the big vertical concrete sections around the upper rim, near the scoreboards. There won't be any abrasion or significant soil wear and tear, and right now they are just big gray swaths of bleh. It was a big improvement when Gross had the orange batting hung around the intermediate deck level frontings. Finish the effort and paint the top walls.

9208742-large.jpg

Example: The Swedish Penis Pump Carrier Dome.

Talk about inflated expectations! :D

In all seriousness, how Bout someone who could actually incorporate the word carrier to represent their product?

The United States Navy Aircraft Carrier Dome.

Make a deal with them to throw in space for a recruitment office.

One thing to keep in mind when discussing the cost is any additional income with a new complex but even more so, any increase in income for the University turning the Dome real estate into academic property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doesn't the land under the Dome belong to SUNY ESF?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom