So the scream at our bench... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

So the scream at our bench...

Eric Devendorf 2009 Big East tournament.

East+Tournament+Second+Round+hnhBlJDAjeux.jpg

He got a T for taunting a Seton Hall player after making a shot and leaving his follow thru in his face.

It was what he did.
Which was awesome.

LOL I can't tell you how happy I am that bama won that football game. And I don't like them.

I don’t think I have ever heard of a player screaming expletives at the opposing HC.

I have certainly seen it at the pro level in baseball, hockey and basketball.
Nothing immediately comes to mind in the NCAA.

I still haven't seen any article indicating what JS said. Has anyone considered the possibility that neither JB nor anyone else on the SU bench could make out what JS said? Maybe only the referee could hear it. The Post-Standard article says:

“Boeheim said he still didn’t know what the whole moment was about. ‘He said something he shouldn’t have,’ Boeheim said. ‘I don’t know. You’d have to ask him. I didn’t say anything to him. I didn’t know who he was talking to.’’’

Why should the SU players start a fight over something that no one could make out?

Last edited:
I don't know if I am in the minority or majority here, but I see this largely as a big nothing.
The player got a T and it was done with.

Not using the situation to make any judgment on JB, Pearl, Auburn, Syracuse, our players, Democrats or Republicans. Just a kid who made a mistake.

I still haven't seen any article indicating what JS said. Has anyone considered the possibility that neither JB nor anyone else on the SU bench could make out what JS said? Maybe only the referee could hear it. The Post-Standard article says:

“Boeheim said he still didn’t know what the whole moment was about. ‘He said something he shouldn’t have,’ Boeheim said. ‘I don’t know. You’d have to ask him. I didn’t say anything to him. I didn’t know who he was talking to.’’’

Why should the SU players started a fight over something that no one could make out?
Don't fool yourself, JB and I suspect at least Jimmy and JG knew exactly what he said. People aren't going into details with the press or the presser.

Don't fool yourself, JB and I suspect at least Jimmy and JG knew exactly what he said. People aren't going into details with the press or the presser.
You could be right - but how do you know?

Our response was soft. Kid’s reaction was weird.

Our guys in the past didn’t bark at other coaches. They talked to other players.

We should’ve put Ajak in to hammer him. He’s the only guy we got that’s like that.
We’re is Tom Stundis when you need him?

You can't yell 'epph Boeheim' close to Boeheim and not get a T. If you don't know the depth of Bruce P's filth then you just don't know.
The lad did get a tee…he earned it.

Should Pearl have taken the lad out afterwards? Yes I believe he probably should have but I can also envision a scenario where maybe he wouldn’t have….maybe coach has talked some chit against Bruce and he hates his guts. So not having the full history between Pearl and JB I am going to guess maybe there is more to the story than we are aware of.

So I will pass on being self righteous and badmouthing other programs….we have had our own sins and vacated wins.

I was literally sitting behind JB when jabari hit the 3, turned around and screamed f...u in his face. I turned to look at my mom and she said f...u? He should get kicked out of the Bahamas! She's 84. The feeling in the gym when we got down a bit was Auburn wanted to embarrass us, they came across like classless punks. It was personal for them and we backed out of the fight. Bruce looked like a chump in shorts. Bumped into a lot of players after game...all very upset...something is a lil off.

I don’t think I have ever heard of a player screaming expletives at the opposing HC.
Freshman year at mont pleasant. And my coach was a legit 6’6”. 1983 or so. We were terrified

Should Pearl have taken the lad out afterwards? Yes I believe he probably should have but I can also envision a scenario where maybe he wouldn’t have….maybe coach has talked some chit against Bruce and he hates his guts. So not having the full history between Pearl and JB I am going to guess maybe there is more to the story than we are aware of.

So I will pass on being self righteous and badmouthing other programs….we have had our own sins and vacated wins.
Minus points for "the lad". Btw the beef has nothing to do with Bruce and Jim, it's a well known story between Bruce and Jimmy Collins. #epphbpearlforlife

I was literally sitting behind JB when jabari hit the 3, turned around and screamed f...u in his face. I turned to look at my mom and she said f...u? He should get kicked out of the Bahamas! She's 84. The feeling in the gym when we got down a bit was Auburn wanted to embarrass us, they came across like classless punks. It was personal for them and we backed out of the fight. Bruce looked like a chump in shorts. Bumped into a lot of players after game...all very upset...something is a lil off.
Yeah, cool shorts Pearl. At least he kept his shirt on. Something is alot off.

Anecdotal obviously but one of my friends was on vacation there last week unrelated to basketball. He's from Arizona but doesn't really follow hoops at all. Friday night he texted me that he met a player on "my team." Apparently, he ran into Jesse Edwards and his parents Friday night and he said they were the nicest people in the world. Didn't report any drama. Not refuting your account, just wanted to share that Jesse and the Edwards family are good people.

Here's another option. Pearl assumed it was just player-versus-player trash talking like everyone else when it happened. I remember sending a bewildered text to my friends, half-jokingly asking "was that at JB?" Maybe Pearl didn't find out the details until after the game and had no reason to suspect it was anything other than normal trash talk between a player and a bench.

You could argue coaches should pull a player after ANY technical but we all know that players are kept in games after Ts all the time.

Ok, in that small gym, everyone knew exactly what was said and where it was directed.

Minus points for "the lad". Btw the beef has nothing to do with Bruce and Jim, it's a well known story between Bruce and Jimmy Collins. #epphbpearlforlife
Yes we have been on probation twice, but you are absolutely right about Pearl. He has zero integrity. This recaps things pretty well.

Anecdotal obviously but one of my friends was on vacation there last week unrelated to basketball. He's from Arizona but doesn't really follow hoops at all. Friday night he texted me that he met a player on "my team." Apparently, he ran into Jesse Edwards and his parents Friday night and he said they were the nicest people in the world. Didn't report any drama. Not refuting your account, just wanted to share that Jesse and the Edwards family are good people.
I briefly met them a couple years ago. They are super nice.