So the scream at our bench... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

So the scream at our bench...

No chance. When Westry visited Syracuse, he only stayed one day instead of 2. We were never going to get him. Auburn wasn't even in the picture at that time.

True on timing. The Kessler comment shouldn’t be it. Jesse outplayed him anyways.

This was just a young guy saying and doing something stupid. That happens. usually, you have a coach that stops that sort of thing. pearl, being who he is, isn't that guy.

If you watch the press conference, there was a reason for it dumb or not. And I’d like to know that reason.

If you watch the press conference, there was a reason for it dumb or not. And I’d like to know that reason.
Well, for one thing I think we do know, we didn't recruit the kid. So there couldn't be any bad blood there. unless, he wanted to go to Syracuse and JB didn't want him. If that were the case, I would yell at JB.

I don't know how many times this needs to be said, in how many different threads.

Last year Boeheim criticized former UNC player and current Auburn player Walker Kessler. He was talking about his buddy Roy retiring and decided it was appropriate to let every know he that he thought Kessler was soft (my interpretation, not exact words) for transferring. Smith and his teammates apparently didn't take too kindly to JB's unsolicited opinions about their teammates character.

Fair play if you ask me.
I find it unlikely that this is why he yelled obscenities at JB.

Well, for one thing I think we do know, we didn't recruit the kid. So there couldn't be any bad blood there. unless, he wanted to go to Syracuse and JB didn't want him. If that were the case, I would yell at JB.

This is difficult to follow but if its kessler comment then whatever. Jb shouldnt have said it but jesse outplayed kessler.

It probably was the kessler comment considering kessler started when he normally doesnt and also pearl had his team firing 3 pointers in the last 2 minutes of the game. Seems like a fake beef/seeing ghosts but i guess whatever you need to do to motivate your team.

This is difficult to follow but if its kessler comment then whatever. Jb shouldnt have said it but jesse outplayed kessler.

It probably was the kessler comment considering kessler started when he normally doesnt and also pearl had his team firing 3 pointers in the last 2 minutes of the game. Seems like a fake beef/seeing ghosts but i guess whatever you need to do to motivate your team.
When Pearl leaves auburn, they will be under the scope.

This is such a non story
Play better and this crap won’t happen
I never agree with this.
Basically means that if you're a crappy team, all manner of crude unsportsmanship is fair game.

There are always going to be crappy teams. Or, even just a team that doesn't win that particular game. And if you look at it from a wider scope, this kind of thing could happen no matter what the score or outcome. It has only a little bit to do with 'not playing better.'

It just doesn't belong in sport at any level. It's just 'gutter' and unnecessary.

That all said, unless we know what was said, i agree: non story. And i'm less bothered if he was yelling something like "y'all can't guard me" to players than if he were specifically addressing the coach. You don't mess with the staff, at all.

What rules there will be, he will break them. It's just who he is.

I wouldnt bet your mortgage on these types of sanctions being an issue in the future… well maybe yours but not mine ;)

I wouldnt bet your mortgage on these types of sanctions being an issue in the future… well maybe yours but not mine ;)
Well, a lot of the rules have to go. But there will still have to be some guidelines.

Well, a lot of the rules have to go. But there will still have to be some guidelines.

The ncaa missed the boat on what needed to be done that would have made the situation equitable. I think its going to be a free for all really soon.

This thread is good.

A kid did something dumb…it happens often.

Folks calling out Pearl for being dirty when we’ve had two rounds of probation under the current head coach.

That all said, unless we know what was said, i agree: non story. And i'm less bothered if he was yelling something like "y'all can't guard me" to players than if he were specifically addressing the coach. You don't mess with the staff, at all.

Fine, if staff refrains from messing with players at other programs I think that's a good rule.

This thread is good.

A kid did something dumb…it happens often.

Folks calling out Pearl for being dirty when we’ve had two rounds of probation under the current head coach.

I don’t think I have ever heard of a player screaming expletives at the opposing HC.

I don’t think I have ever heard of a player screaming expletives at the opposing HC.
As everyone here knows, I'm old. And I have never heard of this before. It must have happened. But I haven't seen it.

As everyone here knows, I'm old. And I have never heard of this before. It must have happened. But I haven't seen it.

I’m older. Lol.

It may be a first…not sure. Young, foolish and a bit cocky….he probably regrets it. Sportsmanship is not what it used to be.

It may be a first…not sure. Young, foolish and a bit cocky….he probably regrets it. Sportsmanship is not what it used to be.
That is the thing. There is no reason to regret it or reflect on it if his coach doesn't tell him don't do that. And the way you tell him that is to sit him down. That drives the point home. I was at a UConn P.C. game years ago. The winner goes to the NCAA tournament. This was in the old days of the ECAC. Anyway, this kid from P.C. smacks a UConn player when the refs (2 of them back then) weren't looking. This kid was a good player. Dave Gavitt saw it and took the kid out of the game and didn't put him back in. UConn won. I never forgot that. Years later, I had graduated from Syracuse, and this kid from P.C. was our athletic trainer at the local high school. And he is talking P.C. hoop, and this kid starts to talk about Gavitt. I say Gavitt did something I will never forget.. I couldn't get it out before he said the P.C. kids name name who hit Joey Whelton of UConn . I guess I wasn't the only one to notice. The easiest thing in life, is to be a good winner. Pearl couldn't even do that.