So Virginia has opened the door | Syracusefan.com

So Virginia has opened the door

OCESIP

Walk On
A step in the right direction. Let's see what happens at
the national level. Current system just isn't sustainable.

That's the future.
Pro ball at the college level.

Every year fans will root for a new group of jerseys.
Mostly people we've never seen before will be in them.
Instead of college teams we'll have teams attached to colleges.

Will be rare for players to stick around long...unless they can be signed to multi-year contracts.
(Come to this of it, it's already rare for players to stick around long).

Will be difficult for players to develop at the major college D-1 level.
Lesser college leagues may become development level...feeders for players to prove themselves at majors for a year.

A team full of players I don't know and don't care much about.
No loyalties...no attachments.
Next year it's a different crew.

Overall, much less fan appeal...for me, anyway.

Virginia has enacted a law that enables schools to pay NIL money directly.
Syracuse has a lot of influence directing how NIL for college athletes should work in New York. They work with the NYS legislature to try and keep a level playing field for Syracuse regarding NIL.

Is this the case with UVa and the Virginia legislature? Did they drive this? Was it driven by V Tech? Seems like something fairly Hokie.

It makes sense to cut out the middle man of NIL - the collectives. Although colleges now have to say that they don't directly dictate how much NIL $ is paid to each athlete, they really do make the decisions.

Just have the colleges seek NIL donations and allocate the money as they wish. It's only a matter of time until someone running a collective gets in trouble for misusing funds meant to be paid to college athletes.

My kids won't be attending college in Virginia.

Anyone who wants an endgame here should love this. Decisions needs to be made and moves like this will force the hand of other states, the NCAA, etc

Unless you just don't want the players to get paid, then yeah, you should prob stop watching sports as an entertainment product.

I have to imagine the vast majority want an endgame, certainly I'm in that category.

Additionally, the NIL pitch is a crock, as we all know it's 'pay for play,' so just stop with the facade along with all of the related malarkey that encompasses it. I mean, "come on man!" Stop with the false premise that some high school dude that has never yet played a college game, have any high level/degree of true productivity, etc., that actually warrants legit NIL, etc. on folks. I find it quite comical, and I'm a bit surprised that most aren't insulted by it, at least somewhat. What does that truly say about us/those whom willingly participate, except and buy in to all the nonsensible pitching, marketing, etc.?

My hope is that this moves as fast as possible to whatever the endgame is. Whether it's something similar to what Pitino spewed prior to March Madness, i.e., compensation type contracts of one/multiple year deals, collective bargaining, etc., etc.

Can’t they differ - who an NIL power might choose to offer vs who a coach might prefer? Just wondering if rogue NIL directives could clash with a program’s targets? Just probably a dumb question.

programs like duke and kentucky will suffer when teams figure out to beat them in the portal. So get yourself a good point guard number 1. a kid who sees the court and reads the D. second you get yourself some size on the backline who can play D and then a 3 point assasin at the 2 to make the defense pay for collapsing. Syracuse needs one dude who is full time engaged in luring in upperclass talent. mixing and matching. that is the new success cocktail.

Last edited:
Anyone who wants an endgame here should love this. Decisions needs to be made and moves like this will force the hand of other states, the NCAA, etc

Unless you just don't want the players to get paid, then yeah, you should prob stop watching sports as an entertainment product.
agreed. if we can get kids to sign multi-year contracts, a lot of the angst will go away. The biggest issue isn't them getting paid, it's their total freedom to jump ship for any reason.

Syracuse has a lot of influence directing how NIL for college athletes should work in New York. They work with the NYS legislature to try and keep a level playing field for Syracuse regarding NIL.

Is this the case with UVa and the Virginia legislature? Did they drive this? Was it driven by V Tech? Seems like something fairly Hokie.
From what I can gather from our board, we were, at best, along for the ride. There were no reports about our administrators' lobbying for this to happen before it did. Tony Elliott and Carla Williams did attend the signing ceremony per a post.

We do have a history of setting the pace in a lot of things related to athletics. We were the first school to offer scholarships that paid for tuition, fees, room, and board and were nearly kicked out of the NCAA back in the early 1900s for it. We were also the first Southern school to beat an Ivy (Yale in 1915), but that's neither here nor there to this discussion.

I know many people who haven't really paid attention or went to games like they used to because of the lack of attachment to the players and the teams because they revolve every year. Definitely not good for team first college sports. It's all about self.

So if a school pays a kid directly and said school gets government research grants a whole bunch of government oversite gets added to the process.
Government has played a big part in this actually its not not reported.

I feel this will expedite Congress getting involved. Once representatives or senators feel their state is at a disadvantage they will act. Not sure of the end result but it will happen.
Also if the school pays I am not sure how you can now say they are not employees. That will create a host of other issues without regulation or legislation.
Their nil would be taxable, what about their scholarship, room and board, stipend etc.? Can they now unionize as employees? Can they be made to sign contracts? There is a lot of unresolved issues.

Delaware 's General Assembly is considering the same thing. I'm sure it has NOTHING to do with the University Of Delaware looking to, at best, emulate UConn.

A step in the right direction. Let's see what happens at
the national level. Current system just isn't sustainable.
Agreed.

The economic value the players add flows to the schools so the schools should be responsible for paying for it, not the fans.

Doesn't mean that fans cannot also contribute but schools should shoulder vast majority of the financial burden.

Agreed.

The economic value the players add flows to the schools so the schools should be responsible for paying for it, not the fans.

Doesn't mean that fans cannot also contribute but schools should shoulder vast majority of the financial burden.

It's just a matter of when these collectives get rolled into an AD. Paying kids gets easier when TV, tickets, bookstore stuff gets rolled up together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom