so, was that a foul on CJ on the last play? | Syracusefan.com

so, was that a foul on CJ on the last play?

pearl31

in cahoots
I say it was, and would have been called if it wasn't the waning seconds of the game.
what say yous?

He definitely had an arm around the dude, but I think they let it go because Smith (that's who it was, right?) was kinda flailing and falling on his own when CJ grabbed him.

Big time hack right across the arms. When he is a star next year he will shoot 7-9 FT's a game. I once wondered if he could be a key offensive player but he is developing a complete offensive game and often gets matched up against power forwards who have no business trying to check him.

We are talking about CJ's drive that Fab dunked right ;)

I say it was, and would have been called if it wasn't the waning seconds of the game.
what say yous?
In real time I thought it was.
It looked almost intentional and I kept waiting for a whistle and a couple of free throws.
But after looking at the replay 3 or 4 times...it was he right call.
The shooter bent over backwards trying to avoid Fab...he actually leaned into CJ.
And the block itself was clean.

Big time hack right across the arms. When he is a star next year he will shoot 7-9 FT's a game. I once wondered if he could be a key offensive player but he is developing a complete offensive game and often gets matched up against power forwards who have no business trying to check him.
I think you misunderstood the question/situation being questioned.

I think you misunderstood the question/situation being questioned.

Check my edit, lol. If it was a foul then he was fouled much worse when he drove.

yeah, to clarify, I'm asking about the very last play of the game where Smith was shooting - did CJ commit a foul?

There was definitely contact, but the question is who initiated it.

Eh, I suppose you could have called it. Dude was falling down, and he probably would have missed his free throws anyway. I will say, if that was against us in the same situation I'd be upset.

They got away with enough goaltending calls in the game - I just assume they were giving one back!

what say yous?

I thought he tackled him at first. Watched the replay a couple times and while it's def less than a tackle, still think it was a foul.

44cuse

without a doubt, he raked his arms before he started to fall back into fair. but i don't care, it was ucant.

If he did it was the last of many blown calls tonight. Too many fantom calls and too many dangerous undercuts!

what say yous?

Absolutely no foul. Uconn guy was out of control and falling backwards. He threw the ball up as he was falling and CJ knocked it back. We picked it up and game over. If there was any contact by Fair it was minimal and caused by the Uconn player.

Absolutely no foul. Uconn guy was out of control and falling backwards. He threw the ball up as he was falling and CJ knocked it back. We picked it up and game over. If there was any contact by Fair it was minimal and caused by the Uconn player.

the foul was before that.

Said this on the UConn board and will say it here.

Roscoe was hacked 2 or 3 times by Fair prior to the shot. No foul on the actual shot. If that is the first 5-10 minutes of the game it is probably called a foul on Fair. It's not a call ever made at the end of the game, and I am more than OK with it not being called, though some won't agree with me. If Fair fouls him on the actual shot, I would be upset. Now it's debatable how much of the hacking caused Roscoe to leaning backwards and how much was Melo either way if Fair doesn't make a great block there I like Roscoe's chances with that shot getting past Melo, which is what Roscoe should have been trying to do, with Drummond under the rim for the putback.

Overall the officiating wasn't bad at all this game. A few odd calls/no-calls but nothing that decided the game or score or skewed it one way or the other.

My opinion, Cuse probably wins even if Roscoe gets the foul called on Fair. Only by 1 or in OT but Cuse made smarter/more attacking plays in the final minute than UConn did and probably would have in OT, if it went there.

Fun game to be at, shame Cuse is going to the ACC.

Said this on the UConn board and will say it here.

Roscoe was hacked 2 or 3 times by Fair prior to the shot. No foul on the actual shot. If that is the first 5-10 minutes of the game it is probably called a foul on Fair. It's not a call ever made at the end of the game, and I am more than OK with it not being called, though some won't agree with me. If Fair fouls him on the actual shot, I would be upset. Now it's debatable how much of the hacking caused Roscoe to leaning backwards and how much was Melo either way if Fair doesn't make a great block there I like Roscoe's chances with that shot getting past Melo, which is what Roscoe should have been trying to do, with Drummond under the rim for the putback.

Overall the officiating wasn't bad at all this game. A few odd calls/no-calls but nothing that decided the game or score or skewed it one way or the other.

My opinion, Cuse probably wins even if Roscoe gets the foul called on Fair. Only by 1 or in OT but Cuse made smarter/more attacking plays in the final minute than UConn did and probably would have in OT, if it went there.

Fun game to be at, shame Cuse is going to the ACC.
thanks for the comments Caw, good game, best of luck rest of the way... and regarding the ACC - agreed, sad to see us go, but only if the BE could have been held together in a desirable format... will very much miss the great rivalry games, uconn, gt, nova, in that order.

Reactions: caw
ISeeNothing.png

We are talking about CJ's drive that Fab dunked right ;)

No, I didn't see it across his arms. He blocked the ball clean. I think C.J. was clawing at Smith before he got the shot off, though, and may have had an arm draped around him. How does he hack the arms and yet go up in the air and block the ball on the same play ? Go back and look at the video again. If Roscoe had a better shot opportunity, he would have gotten the call. But when Fab didn't go up for the shot fake, Smith was kind of stuck there.

It was absolutely a blatant foul on Fair. In fact, I was re-watching trying to figure if it was intentional in the sense that he figured it might be better to put him on the line than give him a good look? Doesn't make sense but it was that blantant, IMO. Why it's not called just because it's the final 10 seconds is beyond me. I'm not complaining, but only because it went in our favor.

Regardless, that kind of call goes against us and it's this site would be crashing b/c of all the "refs suck" and "why do refs love uconn so much?" threads.

Syracuse should be no better than 22-8 this year. The refs keep bailing them out with strategically-timed fouls or no-calls -- whatever favors the Orange. I'd be looking into exchanges of money if I were a latter-day Eliot Ness.

Yes, this is sarcasm.

No, I didn't see it across his arms. He blocked the ball clean. I think C.J. was clawing at Smith before he got the shot off, though, and may have had an arm draped around him. How does he hack the arms and yet go up in the air and block the ball on the same play ? Go back and look at the video again. If Roscoe had a better shot opportunity, he would have gotten the call. But when Fab didn't go up for the shot fake, Smith was kind of stuck there.
Matt - you are talking about two different things. Jordoo was talking about when CJ went in - on O - looked like a lot of contact and easily could have been called. Then CJ while on D does a similar thing that they just did to him - makes sense. If they called it on UConn at their end earlier, CJ probably wouldn't have been as aggresive as he was on the defensive end. There is something to be said for consistency in calls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom