So Who Is The First Portaler? | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

So Who Is The First Portaler?

For the record, I like Taylor, would want him to stay and be a 4 year program guy.

He’s the type of kid you want on your team, banging every day in practice and giving you court time. He’s a solid role player seventh man type.
No matter what happens the young man is a winner. He has battled bigger. Stronger and usually older players all year. I hope he stays.

I love Q as a 6th man and spark off the bench. He doesn’t play more than 15-20 mins per game on a solid tourney team. He doesn’t shoot the ball well enough for a guard and he’s turnover prone. Qs replaceable and as much as I hate to see him leave, this shows me that Red is serious about upgrading the roster. I mentioned it earlier today, but there is no one on this roster who should feel safe about minutes for next year. We need upgrades everywhere.
You and a lot of other people really think we can just make upgrades all over the roster? Every other team in the country is going to be trying to do the same thing. I don’t see it. Focus on a couple key positions of need. A portal center and a more well rounded high level small forward who can shoot and drive.

No matter what happens the young man is a winner. He has battled bigger. Stronger and usually older players all year. I hope he stays.
Not opposed to this, but there is a role for a guy like him. Maybe the 7-8th guy, but guys that don’t give up and put out effort do have a spot. His offense was embarrassing this year, but I don’t have too many complaints about his defense. I’d take him back over a bunch of guys.

We can count on:
Malik
JJ
Cuffe
Westry
Naheem

TBD:
Judah
Bell
Patterson

Gone:
Taylor
Q
Carey
Interesting would’ve thought Judah is definitley gone based on all the chatter in here the last few weeks. I hope Bell stays but can see another Jesse situation.

Before people go nuts I’m not saying Bell = Jesse. I mean in terms of us not thinking the $$$ is worth the investment.

Interesting would’ve thought Judah is definitley gone based on all the chatter in here the last few weeks. I hope Bell stays but can see another Jesse situation.

Before people go nuts I’m not saying Bell = Jesse. I mean in terms of us not thinking the $$$ is worth the investment.
Jesse isn’t here because we didn’t have the money not because they didn’t think he was worth it, they absolutely would’ve paid him if they had the money.

When the AD says “we don’t have the money” how would that be interpreted?
I imagine the money was there the first time around he asked for a raise, but by the second time or third time he asked for more, I bet his bluff was called but he wasn’t bluffing and took off. I can see where giving in to his requests would’ve caused headaches for rest of the team. Suddenly everyones got their hands out expecting what the other guy got

When did the AD say that?
When we couldn’t pay him 700k because there wasn’t 700k to give him. You don’t think Red would’ve signed off or anyone connected to or had a benefit to the seasons success let him go because they want to save 300k? Come on…..

You and a lot of other people really think we can just make upgrades all over the roster? Every other team in the country is going to be trying to do the same thing. I don’t see it. Focus on a couple key positions of need. A portal center and a more well rounded high level small forward who can shoot and drive.
I do believe that. We started a forward at center and a small forward/2 guard at the 4 who averaged like 4 ppg in conference play. Bell can be a great scorer but I’m not as bullish on him as some because his defense is a net negative most games. This is Syracuse Basketball, if we can’t pull in 2-3 ACC caliber starters when we will have minutes available then we will never make it back to being a powerhouse.

Judah - he will test the NBA waters and then decide that he really enjoyed the couple games in his backyard in DC and will go to Gtown

Bell - he will want to head back west to be closer to home.

Taylor - isn’t probably going to play much next year, probably transfer to a smaller school

Patterson - we have more depth coming in and he isn’t going to want to wait his turn

Q - if he isn’t going to start next year won’t stick around.
They only allow a player to test the waters once, and Mintz did it last year. If he tries to do it again this year, he will not be allowed back.

This is the situation unless and until someone challenges the NCAA on the rule in court.

I expect Judah will portal, unless SU offers him a nice NIL setup.

I do believe that. We started a forward at center and a small forward/2 guard at the 4 who averaged like 4 ppg in conference play. Bell can be a great scorer but I’m not as bullish on him as some because his defense is a net negative most games. This is Syracuse Basketball, if we can’t pull in 2-3 ACC caliber starters when we will have minutes available then we will never make it back to being a powerhouse.
That’s why we should add a high level center and a really good small forward. As I suggested, and you seem to be saying that as well. Some people on here don’t think JJ Starling can play “at this level.” I mean JFC. A former top 20 recruit and McDonald’s All American. yeah let’s just throw in the towel on him after he played 1.5 years, a chunk of that with injuries. I mean the comments on this board are madness. Yes, we need to add a few key pieces but the staff also has to work on developing current players. Some Continuity is important as well.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom