So Who Is The First Portaler? | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

So Who Is The First Portaler?

Sure, but no other teams including WVU had this issue, spin is spin and it’s smarter to say there’s a visa issue than you can’t afford your best player.
They had dealt with it…

They only allow a player to test the waters once, and Mintz did it last year. If he tries to do it again this year, he will not be allowed back.

This is the situation unless and until someone challenges the NCAA on the rule in court.

I expect Judah will portal, unless SU offers him a nice NIL setup.
Thats not true. You can withdraw twice.

That’s why we should add a high level center and a really good small forward. As I suggested, and you seem to be saying that as well. Some people on here don’t think JJ Starling can play “at this level.” I mean JFC. A former top 20 recruit and McDonald’s All American. yeah let’s just throw in the towel on him after he played 1.5 years, a chunk of that with injuries. I mean the comments on this board are madness. Yes, we need to add a few key pieces but the staff also has to work on developing current players. Some Continuity is important as well.
I like JJ and Brown as key pieces. I think the rest of the starting lineup should be guys that aren’t currently on the team.

Any team would take a guy that can shoot like that
He can shoot. Fine.

He can’t dribble. Can’t create. Can’t rebound. Below average defender.

Not everyone would take a guy like that. Especially given the fact that he will want to start moving forward.

He’s James Southerland without the athleticism. Southerland wasn’t a full-time starter during his time at SU and barely played until his junior year.

He’s replaceable.

The booing, yes.

The general commentary? I felt it was very light for a guy who was a designated shooter who literally couldn't or wouldn't shoot. He tried hard and I felt bad for him to a degree, but I felt worse for Red who had no other options after buying into him for another year.

Edit: Eh, thats too harsh. I felt worse for Justin. Clearly he was trying to shake the yips. Unfortunately, it does happen, but it REALLY hurt this team
Enough with the Taylor trying hard narrative. It looks like he’s trying hard because he makes everything look difficult . Efficiency of motion isn’t his game.

It wouldn’t shock me one bit, if he ends up at Virginia or another high level program if he transfers. I also don’t think the coaching staff wants to lose him just based on the fact that he has started every game and just how emotional they are about the criticism he’s been getting. What the fan base has put him through, I totally understand him leaving. There is a role for him at any high level program, especially if he can get his confidence back with his shooting.
Justin, it’s not worth it. Don’t read your critics .

Couple years in but still such crazy times with NIL and “wanting to get paid”. Total different thing to navigate. Can’t imagine.

As far as who comes back or arrives, well it’s something for this forum to discuss over the next few months, that’s for sure.

Q's a big loss, IMO. I think he has star potential and 6'6 PG's don't grow on trees. Only red flag with him is maturity and poise, so there's that.
JJ leaving would be stupid- but it's the portal era and anything goes.
I hope Cuffe stays and is given a real shot at PT, I like him as a player.
Honestly, no one except Maliq should feel safe, and he's the only one I'd feel terrible about losing.
He’s not a PG in any way. I have no idea why people keep saying this.

Q and Judah haven’t been positive for culture. I like that Red is taking control.

I would think Benny is the obvious answer.

trick-question-roman-moronie.gif

They changed the sit out rules because of labor laws. You can’t force people to not play because it effects their NIL earning potential. The job market doesn’t require you to sit out a year because you want to get a new job.
Not really true. NCAA is not enforcing the year in residence rule for multiple transfers while the court case is argued. Not clear if the injunction will expire but moot point.

However, court case has been pushed to June 2025 so players CAN transfer a second time with no penalty at least until then.

That team is not better and possibly worse than this years.
I don't presume to think next year will be better.

I may be in the minority but I don't see us getting back to top 25 anytime soon.

I expect to see more 17-20 win seasons and very rare 22+ win seasons.

When you are in what, fourth year of trash hoops, maybe that's what your program is - trash.

Boeheim said to the NCAA hold my beer and buried the program he built.

Red needs to shake up the coaching staff, get alum and boosters to back the brinks up, and get our hoops support staff to get off their asses and start doing portal talent evaluation

The program is stale and stalling out.

The staff need to figure out how to navigate NIL and build a competitive roster because other teams definitely have. Going from a 80-100th ranked team in adjE to top ~30 where they need to be is probably trickier than only adding a couple freshmen.

our fans sometimes...sheez...I get it, he may not have played like we hoped in a game(s) but saying that on social is just wrong and basically to the kid
Is it wrong? Or is it honest. Dudes gonna think hes the bomb no matter what. You think these kids listen or care?

So reading in between the lines, Q may have been a “troublemaker” bts and staff isnt losing sleep with him leaving
It's surprising to me (and not surprising) because Q seemed to have a good rapport with Red in public. If he is, he is. Good luck at the next stop.

Also, wanted to thank you and AZOrange, dasher, Bulldog04, SUOrangeSU and others for dropping knowledge when you can. It's appreciated even if it's not always the news we're hoping for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom