So Who Is The First Portaler? | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

So Who Is The First Portaler?

It wouldn’t shock me one bit, if he ends up at Virginia or another high level program if he transfers. I also don’t think the coaching staff wants to lose him just based on the fact that he has started every game and just how emotional they are about the criticism he’s been getting. What the fan base has put him through, I totally understand him leaving. There is a role for him at any high level program, especially if he can get his confidence back with his shooting.
He's not ending up at UVA. A good friend in the AD there said back when SU got him that Bennett had close to no interest in him despite him being at their front door.

Maybe things have changed, but he wasn't heavily recruited by his hometown squad. I think there's a reason for that.

Why does everyone think Taylor is leaving. Coach plays him even when he doesnt play well cause he plays hard. i doubt he leaves.

Not really true. NCAA is not enforcing the year in residence rule for multiple transfers while the court case is argued. Not clear if the injunction will expire but moot point.

However, court case has been pushed to June 2025 so players CAN transfer a second time with no penalty at least until then.

Right but all the lawsuits are based on labor laws. The government sees these college athletes as part of the workforce because they get paid through NIL, the NCAA still sees them as student athletes. Anytime a kid is going to have to sit out, they are going to sue the NCAA and the NCAA is going to lose everytime in these lawsuits.

Last edited:
Lots of ebbs and flows to the offseason. Let's give Red time to do his thing. People have short memories but when we reeled in JJ, Westry and the recruit Freeman there was pretty unanimous agreement he did pretty good. Let's see what happens here over the next couple months. Lots of names will be freeing up based on recent history.

Lots of ebbs and flows to the offseason. Let's give Red time to do his thing. People have short memories but when we reeled in JJ, Westry and the recruit Freeman there was pretty unanimous agreement he did pretty good. Let's see what happens here over the next couple months. Lots of names will be freeing up based on recent history.
Staff will do well, Im sure of it

I like JJ and Brown as key pieces. I think the rest of the starting lineup should be guys that aren’t currently on the team.
Agree! Hope JJ can show improvement though, be more consistent and aggressive, tougher with the ball and defensive improvement. Brown's got good shooting form just needs to start using it.

Taylor is interesting. Something happened and he became stiff, measured, basically over thinking. He needs to play free and if I'm his coach I'm getting him off all drills. He simply needs to ball all off season. Just play ball as much as possible against good comp and play guard exclusively. I think if he does that he's going to end up being solid
He tried to get stronger to play at the 4 and it cost him speed. So he was not strong enough, not long enough and not quick enough to get by bigger defenders. Then that altogether messed up his shot to the point it was really bad and was left wide open which messes with anyone's head.

No matter what happens the young man is a winner. He has battled bigger. Stronger and usually older players all year. I hope he stays.
Justin Taylor is a winner? He shot 35% from the field, 30% from three, and 65% from the FT line. These are numbers from someone who is supposed to be a shooter. How is he a winner?

Judah, Q, and Bell are not guys you win with, They can be program killers... Judah and Bell lack any mental toughness on the court.. If things dont go their way they fold... Q plays low IQ basketball.. He has good anticipation but forces plays too much. I think Q could be fine with more vocal players to tell him to make smarter plays.. This is not a player led team which hurts, The best teams are player led.

The only difference between us and Louisville is coaching... Red did a good job in year 1 and Kenny Payne was not a good coach. Its not a hot seat year next year from Red either. AD is gonna give him some time unless next year is a disaster and it won't be.. If we make NIT this year it hurts, but its a logical growth from from the last 2 years. Red is gonna find mentally tough players that may not be as flashy but play with some grit.

Think back to 2009 when we had a good year with the Flynn, Devo and Harris, that team was good but lacked something.. We all saw those 3 leaving, almost mutually with JB... Next year we bring back a different team relying on other voices and lost to Lemoyne, but then went on to have an amazing year.. AO and Rautins player led and brought Wes in and he fit perfect, and everyone knew their roles.

These players will leave and we will be better for it.. Change is good and Red will find his team personality

He is a very very good 3-point shooter not really a good player.
I agree but I would add "yet" to the end of the sentence. I think he improved the most over the season and with a prayer for maturity and development (along with need), I think I'd make him a priority unless he is the unnamed bad chemistry professor.

He tried to get stronger to play at the 4 and it cost him speed. So he was not strong enough, not long enough and not quick enough to get by bigger defenders. Then that altogether messed up his shot to the point it was really bad and was left wide open which messes with anyone's head.
That's a giant stretch. He didn't radically change his body. He went from looking kind of like Buddy to kind of looking like Buddy. He was listed at 210 as a senior in HS and 218 this year according to the SU roster page.

I'll stick with the simple explanation, he's not good enough to play significant minutes at a high D1 school. Good luck to him, he could do well at a JMU or GW.

Why does everyone think Taylor is leaving. Coach plays him even when he doesnt play well cause he plays hard. i doubt he leaves.
game of thrones khaleesi GIF

It can't be Q - he plays with such passion, joy and enthusiasm, and he's Philly tough. It can't be him.

Agreed, but sure it can.

And it doesn't mean that Q is a "bad" kid -- he has a positive attitude, he's a good teammate, he works hard, etc. But his style of play makes him difficult to coach, and he's aligned with Mintz in terms of tuning Red out. Stuff that gets coached doesn't translate to the floor / games.

Again, not a bad kid. But challenging for the coaching staff.

I don't get where the Q leaving chatter is coming from. Do you think he woke up Thursday morning after all those turnovers and said damn I'm hitting the portal and I'm going to be a starting PG on a tournament team?

At the same time you think Autry is going to sit him down in the office and give him the keys to the offense. Hell No.

He'll be a Junior next year and he can play multiple roles. You don't push that guy out and if he does portal you be honest with him that he can play his way into 20-25ish minutes here. He's a good spark most of the time but he just can't take those shots and turnover the ball.

Without Q we do not win that UNC game down the stretch on defense. He made Tommy Boy Cormac Ryan look like a chump out there.

Agreed, but sure it can.

And it doesn't mean that Q is a "bad" kid -- he has a positive attitude, he's a good teammate, he works hard, etc. But his style of play makes him difficult to coach, and he's aligned with Mintz in terms of tuning Red out. Stuff that gets coached doesn't translate to the floor / games.

Again, not a bad kid. But challenging for the coaching staff.
I should have used "sarcasm" font.

I don't get where the Q leaving chatter is coming from. Do you think he woke up Thursday morning after all those turnovers and said damn I'm hitting the portal and I'm going to be a starting PG on a tournament team?

At the same time you think Autry is going to sit him down in the office and give him the keys to the offense. Hell No.

He'll be a Junior next year and he can play multiple roles. You don't push that guy out and if he does portal you be honest with him that he can play his way into 20-25ish minutes here. He's a good spark most of the time but he just can't take those shots and turnover the ball.

Without Q we do not win that UNC game down the stretch on defense. He made Tommy Boy Cormac Ryan look like a chump out there.
Q needs to find Billy over the summer and let him teach him how to be a floor general.
Billy was always under control during the championship run.
He saw mismatches, and got players the ball at the right time.
And he could take anyone who was guarding him and score.

he wants to start

he isnt starting here next season

some off court chit that makes coaching staff batty at times

hes gonzo

I know this team won 20 games but that is more an indictment of how crappy the ACC is. Brown and JJ are the two guys that I would be really upset about if they left. Other than them, I won’t lose any sleep. Some crappy attitudes still left on the roster(it wasn’t just Benny), way too many soft players, too much dead weight on scholarship at center. It’s just a poorly constructed roster that needs a big shakeup

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom