So Who Is The First Portaler? | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

So Who Is The First Portaler?

I do believe that. We started a forward at center and a small forward/2 guard at the 4 who averaged like 4 ppg in conference play. Bell can be a great scorer but I’m not as bullish on him as some because his defense is a net negative most games. This is Syracuse Basketball, if we can’t pull in 2-3 ACC caliber starters when we will have minutes available then we will never make it back to being a powerhouse.

This hasn’t been Syracuse for almost a decade.

That simply isn't true. Yes, we want to win more. There was a lot going on with this team. And it wasn't good. If you want to win, you have to have the right pieces. But you also have to have everyone pulling the rope in the same direction. That wasn't the case with our team. There was a lot of disrespect for the coach and what we were trying to do. And it came from 2 or 3 players. Oh, and that isn't guessing or reading body language.
This is as clear as day if you were paying attention. It was evident after Tenessee . AA did a phenomenal job getting this team to 20 wins

Most state courts rule them unenforceable
You can't prevent people from making a living
Aren't they pretty common in tv news? Or is that a case where they are being paid by the new station but just can't appear on air?

Aren't they pretty common in tv news? Or is that a case where they are being paid by the new station but just can't appear on air?
I've heard about that in that industry and that might be one of the last industries it's allowed or enforced but in my market they might switch to all 3 affiliates during their career

Red held guys out multiple times, suspended a player, and possibly didn't start Quadir in part because of some things he felt Quadir needed to work on.

Red presented lots of consequences.
He threatened consequences but how many times did he actually act on those threats? Seems like my wife is when she says she gonna throw out my son’s playstation if he acts up one more time. Yeah right…

Last edited:
stop
If they played well enough to make the tournament, I could understand Red’s delicate balancing act. But in the end he put up with this BS for what? 20 wins gets you a cup of coffee at Denny’s. Big deal.

Ultimately it’s unfair for fans to take some insider’s verdict on Red as gospel when we’re only allowed to evaluate half the evidence.

That would be losing a lot.
Roddy Gayle for Judah, I guess.
But we need to replace a lot of offense if that happens.
Don’t be afraid of change, Matt. This way we’ll see if Red has the chops to pound the portal like a top 25 CEO. We’ll know soon enough.

i agree. red knows basketball...some of the pieces he brought in for year 1 didnt work out...a lot actually...
but the plan was pretty good. (I didnt like the center plan but that was kinda forced by jesse leaving...and the forwards were very dicey but red's relationships there were likely very hard to walk away from)

i think he knows what needs to be done and will do his best to get it done...always takes a bit of luck, though.

but i anticipate a big portal season...players should want to play for red...they like wht he brings and he has shown he can get it done no matter what...

give him a loaded roster and they will take off.
At least 2 of the 4 portals from Red’s 1st year were probably made under JAB‘s last year/time. JAB once stated that he was getting a number of a transfer requests. Believe that Starling and Westry probably had contacted Boeheim and McNamara prior to JABs stepping down. Macleod and Cuffe, Jr signed later in the portal cycle and probably with Red’s blessing. I believe someone will comment on/correct this assumption.

This portal season and the commits from it will be all under HCAA purview.

My dad just called me. He's mainly an Iowa fan but cheers for Syracuse also and watches all of our games. He's never been on this board in his life, so he hasn't been influenced at all.

Dad - "Say I haven't had time to talk to you since the NC State game the other night. What do you think of Mintz? It seems like he's always looking for his own shot, isn't a great shooter and is constantly whining to the refs. Now granted, sometimes he's right, but after every play? Do you think they might be better off trying to replace him?"

Me "Funny you should say that Dad. I don't think you're alone with those thoughts."

So it's not just the board picking on Judah.
It's funny you should say that. I have mentioned before one of my USDA inspectors graduated from Iowa State and is a huge fan. We have each started to follow each others teams and converse a lot about them. He basically says the same thing, tell him to quit whining and get back in the game, because he can't seem to do much right. Of course the Cyclones have Lipske who isn't much better. Rob Jones is making their team right now, without him they would be in the same boat as we are. And my inspector hates Jones, so I give him crap about how he is carrying them.

HE HELD GUYS OUT OF half a GAME AND SUSPENDED A PLAYER
FIFY, and it sounds like the real problem child, Q, wasn’t punished at all. Listen, if he lost control of the team and did what he could, fine. But let’s not pretend like he didn’t deal himself this hand.

Taylor . And very soon. But he won't be the last. We have to clean up the culture on this team. Not that Taylor is a culture problem. He isn't. Others are. And the talent.
Cleaning the culture of the team includes cleaning the culture of the university and fans that are no it all and fans only when things are looking good for the team.

he wants to start

he isnt starting here next season

some off court chit that makes coaching staff batty at times

hes gonzo
I think that’s wildly exaggerated and something that Red can have candid conversations with him about once the season is over. It’s not always easy to have the tough heart to hearts in season when you’re just trying to prepare for the next game.

Based on his play Wednesday night, I don’t want him back. He’s unreliable. He could be so good, if he could control himself, but he does not seem to be improving in that regard.
He’s only a sophomore! I’m sure fans said similar things about Devo early in his career.

And an exciting year where we are relevant and playing important games will lead to a surge in donations.
Face it, if we don't raise competitive NIL we will see what irrelevant really looks like. We should all try and give something 10-25-100-1000 or more, face it, it depends on your circumstances as to what you can afford, but this is going to be the deciding factor in recruiting. The genie is out of the bottle, and it is not going back in, I fear.

It didn’t just start. He stopped going to class weeks ago..
I will say that’s a rumor that has come up about so many Cuse players over my decades of being a Syracuse fan. It may be true but I have a hard time taking those kinds of rumors as fact. Also, if he stopped going to class, he won’t be academically eligible to attend another school anyway

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom