So...Why Didn't SU Recruit Nanticoke? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

So...Why Didn't SU Recruit Nanticoke?

A corpse could matriculate at U of Albany. It is not a school of rocket scientist. The entrance requirement is being able to walk and chew gum.
Syracuse isn't exactly hard to get into either.

Yes, each player has a different package. Bomberry for example is going for free under the Native American Promise scholarship ( Hudanese promise or something like that, I am butchering the name). Most players get a small % as a scholarship and then financial aid etc. Some guys do get more for example a guy like Staats if he wasn't under the native american scholarship would have gotten close to a full ride.
If you're a NYS resident whose family income is less than 100k, I believe tuition is free. So Albany starts with that.

If you're a NYS resident whose family income is less than 100k, I believe tuition is free. So Albany starts with that.

Correct, I was talking about it strictly from a Syracuse perspective. The difference in tuition rates between the two schools is massive to say the least.

I don't know how Wiz looked in Fall Ball last year.

Maybe he needed a redshirt.

Maybe he'd be starting today if he stayed and Bomberry would get moved to Middie.

I'm not a fan of redshirting lacrosse players. I wouldn’t.

And I'm also of the opinion that Bomberry is in no way shape or form suited to be a midfielder. Not even a little bit.

Last edited:
Dumb question but not all lax kids get the same money right? UAlbany has to be cheaper for any kid not getting a full ride of which I assume therre are very few.

Albany tuition for a NYS resident is $9,000

SU tuition is $41,000

Maryland tuition for a MD resident is $6,000

Went to grad school there and was never a fan of the campus.A bit on the sterile side but everyone has different tastes.
But ... But ... But ... Nelson Rockefeller personally recruited Edward Durrell Stone to design the campus. :rolleyes:

But ... But ... But ... Nelson Rockefeller personally recruited Edward Durrell Stone to design the campus. :rolleyes:
Rocky was said to have an edifice complex. He was also said to have died in the saddle.

Whatever happened to Megan Marshack?
th

tuition is free but you also have to work in ny state for 4 yrs after graduating.

not getting the thompson twins on campus may turn out to be the biggest blunder in D1 lax recruiting history.
a mistake the magnitude of which we are still feeling the ripples
I'm sure some will say that quote sounds dramatic, but I couldn't agree with you more (it made me want to sign up for this forum!).

The end of the final four run (it was obviously going to happen), losing the top canadian recruit pipeline (it was going to happen, although not sure why it's nearly completely dried up for us), losing out on our top notch local talent (that still hurts, but you can't blame kids going to better academic schools), Desko not playing his best players (that still hurts... every week, and exponentially when they excel after transferring), but losing the native pipeline to Albany (mostly because of the Thompson's decision and Scott Marr's recruiting excellence) was kind of the final nail in the coffin in the slow death of the dominance of the SU lax program.

Maybe SU lax will only be great every few years now, but then we're due! Hopefully you guys are right and next year will be our year. For 7 out of the past 8 years (and for 4 in a row), postseason SU lacrosse has just been painful, so, if not next year, then I think some kind of change is needed.

Last edited:
Understand the lament over the Thompsons and Tehoka but Cuse still seems like a preferred destination for Native Americans, Randy Staats came and the Bomberrys are here ,Austin Staats may be arriving if he plays college. The NannyGoat is obviously a unique talent given his frame and tremendous stick skills and his mystique would certainly boosts visibility of any program but the impact of Thompsons goes beyond their choice of Albany , they influenced how the game is played today resulting in many dynamic attackman across the landscape. Yes, Nantikoke pushed Bomberry to his spots and torched us , can gush over his marvels that day but he's also looked very ordinary in poor games vs Cornell and Maryland. Fields meanwhile is simply brilliant n an efficient talent in Patterson may be just as impactful youngster to that team but without the hype. Not trying to deny Tanicoke is an exceptional talent but the point is there is larger pool of exceptional attackman than ever today and having a exclusive pipeline while an advantage is not the end all . Sourcing should not be reliant on any region. .We face one of the best this weekend in Hennisbug who was a relative local. I doubt he would have choosen Rutgers four years ago over the majors if any of them actively recruited by them. Nantikoke was recruited by us and others, he choose elsewhere for his reasons.

Understand the lament over the Thompsons and Tehoka but Cuse still seems like a preferred destination for Native Americans, Randy Staats came and the Bomberrys are here ,Austin Staats may be arriving if he plays college. The NannyGoat is obviously a unique talent given his frame and tremendous stick skills and his mystique would certainly boosts visibility of any program but the impact of Thompsons goes beyond their choice of Albany , they influenced how the game is played today resulting in many dynamic attackman across the landscape. Yes, Nantikoke pushed Bomberry to his spots and torched us , can gush over his marvels that day but he's also looked very ordinary in poor games vs Cornell and Maryland. Fields meanwhile is simply brilliant n an efficient talent in Patterson may be just as impactful youngster to that team but without the hype. Not trying to deny Tanicoke is an exceptional talent but the point is there is larger pool of exceptional attackman than ever today and having a exclusive pipeline while an advantage is not the end all . Sourcing should not be reliant on any region. .We face one of the best this weekend in Hennisbug who was a relative local. I doubt he would have choosen Rutgers four years ago over the majors if any of them actively recruited by them. Nantikoke was recruited by us and others, he choose elsewhere for his reasons.
Marr is really ingrained with the Native Americans. I believe he has done clinics and organized events at different reservations over the past few years. In fact, I believe he had the team at the Onondaga reservation just the other day doing a clinic for the young players. He is just using different approaches to keep his pipeline going.

Someone asked why we didn’t recruit Jacob Patterson #17 at Albs, interesting fact his brother Jordy was listed in our 2009 freshman profiles but never appeared on campus . He was also named to
the 2008 Iroquois U19 team but never played. I traded his (Jordys) spare Iroquois helmet with Coach Jamieson after the final, still have it somewhere.

2009 Syracuse Lacrosse Freshman Profiles

Lacrosse News

Someone asked why we didn’t recruit Jacob Patterson #17 at Albs, interesting fact his brother Jordy was listed in our 2009 freshman profiles but never appeared on campus . He was also named to
the 2008 Iroquois U19 team but never played. I traded his (Jordys) spare Iroquois helmet with Coach Jamieson after the final, still have it somewhere.

Lacrosse News
I was at the UAlbany game Saturday vs Vermont. Patterson had seven goals on eight shots. It was like Vermont was hardly defending him as they were more worried about Fields and Nanticoke. With those three, Ierlan and Colarusso, it's no surprise Albany is ranked #1

Lacrosse News
That 2009 class was pretty gross. And don’t give me the excuse that that year before was loaded. That class had three or four guys that played.

Lacrosse News

Patterson pursued Albany - not sure he was a known quantity in the recruiting circles:

You’re from Arizona. How do you end up at a school like Albany in upstate New York?

I was born in Buffalo, part of the Seneca/Iroquois tribe. And I actually sent Coach [Scott] Marr an email. I sent him a highlight tape, and that’s how I got recruited, honestly. He sent me an email back and we set up a little visit, and walking up to UAlbany with Coach Marr, I knew that was the place to be.

Five questions with Albany men’s lacrosse player Jakob Patterson

Patterson is my favorite Albany player. I can't gush enough about him. He was blistering against VT. If you go back to the Syracuse/Albany thread I was raving about him after the game. Patterson is a sophomore.

They'll take a hit without Fields and Colarusso next year but they're not going away. (11 seniors total)

just got back from latham today. wore my SU hoodie into a tavern and caught flack. from albany fans ! my man down defense wasn't good.

(btw shout out to the century house. great room and great food)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom