So...Why Didn't SU Recruit Nanticoke? | Syracusefan.com

So...Why Didn't SU Recruit Nanticoke?

I thought his name was Nanny Goat. he certainly spoiled our fun.

Maybe they did and he wasn't interested? Anybody know?

Fields? NY guy.
I'm no expert but it has to do with the Thompsons. The pipeline has dried up. Desko non grata on the Rez. Not sure if that is 100% totally true but told to me by someone who grew up on the Rez.

We did recruit him.

He didn't want to come here.

SU has a former player on the staff at IMG in Florida.

This SU did recruit him he wanted to follow in the Thompsons footsteps. Fields wasn't recruited by any high end teams other then Albany

i remember hearing something about grades but albany is no cake walk. also heard desko didn't want them freewheeling out of his system.
regardless the rumors not getting the thompson twins on campus may turn out to be the biggest blunder in D1 lax recruiting history.
a mistake the magnitude of which we are still feeling the ripples and it certainly boomeranged back into the temple today.

Last edited:
Had nothing to do with grades. Syracuse did recruit him and he had nothing but good things to say about Desko. Albany has a half dozen other Native American kids on the team...including Chaunce Hill whom I believe is his cousin. Marr goes out of his way to make the native kids feel comfortable. I don't happen to believe that Marr is a genius when it comes to Xs and Os, but the guy is a hell of a recruiter and has an eye for raw talent. How many other D1 coaches road tripped out to Standing Rock? Pure genius.

I'm more concerned with the status of Austin Staats - now that kid is a rare talent. Everyone assumes he is coming to Syracuse if he plays in college, so why hasn't he committed?

Had nothing to do with grades. Syracuse did recruit him and he had nothing but good things to say about Desko. Albany has a half dozen other Native American kids on the team...including Chaunce Hill whom I believe is his cousin. Marr goes out of his way to make the native kids feel comfortable. I don't happen to believe that Marr is a genius when it comes to Xs and Os, but the guy is a hell of a recruiter and has an eye for raw talent. How many other D1 coaches road tripped out to Standing Rock? Pure genius.

I'm more concerned with the status of Austin Staats - now that kid is a rare talent. Everyone assumes he is coming to Syracuse if he plays in college, so why hasn't he committed?

I had the same question r.e. Austin Staats. If he does decide to go to college any chance he can wind up at Albany?? Hope Desko and Randy are all over him now about joining the orange next season.

I had the same question r.e. Austin Staats. If he does decide to go to college any chance he can wind up at Albany?? Hope Desko and Randy are all over him now about joining the orange next season.

He's either coming to SU or going pro.

This is exactly the problem I was pointing out before with Desko. The time has passed when he can afford to let Marr outwork him for recruits. I mean, is there any bigger red flag than the one that went up yesterday?

Last edited:

As noted Staats is either coming to Syracuse or going pro. The fact he came back to OCC this year is a great sign. Trust me Desko is a lot of things but an idiot isn't one of them he knows we need him bad.

This is exactly the problem I was pointing out before with Desko. The time has passed when he can afford to let Marr outwork him for recruits. I mean, is there any bigger red flag than the one that went up yesterday?

Its not an outwork thing its Albany being the hot place for native players to go to post the Thompsons. Its all cyclical, 4-5 years ago wit was Denver who was getting all the Native players ie Miller Bomberry etc. It will flip again just a matter of when not if. SU wanted Nanticoke but hes a Thompson fan and wanted to go there with some other native guys who are already on the team and they play more of the wide open SU style of lacrosse that SU used to play. SU is still winning its fair share of battles, Quinn was definitely targeted by Albany.

Did Randy Staats have a good experience at SU? I know he was great on the field but never won a title. He does not have any grudges against the coaches?

Did Randy Staats have a good experience at SU? I know he was great on the field but never won a title. He does not have any grudges against the coaches?
I tend to doubt it. He has retweeted SU Lax tweets and congrats to SU lax.

While it is true that Desko is not an idiot it is also true that he is complacent and lazy. For too long he has operated as though recruits should be so grateful to receive an SU offer that it would overwhelm any other opportunity. Kids are no longer paying homage to the legacy of SU lax because Desko's decision-making helped deface that legacy. He and the staff have made some very bad talent evaluations over the past decade when there isn't much room for error because of the limited number of scholarships. And just ask someone who knows to compare with other head coaches the number of camps and competitions and showcases Desko attends and the number of phone calls and other contacts he makes with recruits...Oh, wait- I am someone who knows. :cool:

As noted Staats is either coming to Syracuse or going pro. The fact he came back to OCC this year is a great sign. Trust me Desko is a lot of things but an idiot isn't one of them he knows we need him bad.

It has everything to do with grades. If grades didn’t matter why settle for an SUNY school if you had other options.

Funny but a native grandmother was sitting next to me Saturday and she said, we love Albany and we all love coach Marr, he goes out of his way to make us feel welcome. Not that Desko doesn’t, I just found it interesting.

Last edited:
It has everything to do with grades. If grades didn’t matter why settle for an SUNY school if you had other options.

Settle for Albany? It’s not exactly a bad school. Widely considered top 3 or 4 SUNY schools and if you want to stay in NY, great campus, great staff, I cant think of a better place.

Money and field of study are other reasons for choosing a SUNY school. SUNY Oswego has one of the best meteorology programs around and they have a great psychology program, or at least it was back when I attended. I think its Morrisville that has a top rated nursing program. There's history as well with SUNY Maritime College being the largest and oldest maritime school in the country. The agriculture and vet schools at Cornell are apart of the SUNY system and are considered some of the best. Or maybe it's something simpler like campus life or the community surrounding the campus. Different reasons for different people.

Settle for Albany? It’s not exactly a bad school. Widely considered top 3 or 4 SUNY schools and if you want to stay in NY, great campus, great staff, I cant think of a better place.
Albany...the city time forgot. My inlaws lived there -stuck in the 1950s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom