So Wildhack..he has to be fired, right? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

So Wildhack..he has to be fired, right?

Because it couldn;t be further from the truth. Wildhack had been tabbed to replace John Skipper and would be CEO in Bristol now had he stayed.
Not to mention with Iger back, he might still get a call to come back and take on a major advisory role in the event of a potential spinoff. He was very well respected at ESPN.

A bit of hyperbole, no? Football team just finished a seven win season when the "experts" pegged our over/under wins at 4. Lacrosse welcomes the number one recruiting class in the nation after a perfectly managed transition at the top. Mens basketball is certainly in a difficult situation, but if you recall last spring, after the first losing season in over 50 years and a sit down with the AD, the HoF coach stated "There is an ironclad plan in place" to manage his departure. Fund raising, as much as you want to minimize it, is in the best shape ever. And non-revenue sports, yes, part of the job, have a perpetual national champion contender in womens lax, a mens soccer team playing at home right now for an opportunit to advance to the elite eight and a womens basketball program that survived a historic challenge and is poised to move into prominence under a dynamic coach.

Remember Mike Tirico's comment when asked if he was concerned about his alma mater hiring someone without experience running an athletic department. "Have you seen John Wildhack's rolodex?"

John's biggest weakness is probably his loyalty, but I am willing to live with that.
The on field results, for the sports that matter, have been absolutely abysmal since Wildhack took over. That’s not hyperbole.

The on field results, for the sports that matter, have been absolutely abysmal since Wildhack took over. That’s not hyperbole.
Explain football and mens lacrosse being "abyssmal" based on the current state of those two programs?

one more...

business-commerce-meeting-staff_meeting-falling_profit-declining_market_share-profit-jfa0417_low.jpg

He is fine as the AD. But I get the impression that he puts too much faith in those below him given that he doesn't have the athletic department background. Some of those people seem to need an upgrade.

Explain football and mens lacrosse being "abyssmal" based on the current state of those two programs?
I’m concerned you don’t have the opinion that they are not abysmal, therefore implying the results have been good.

Also, while Lax has been a long-standing cornerstone of Syracuse athletics, it’s not a major revenue sport.

It seems like a lot of people around here are scared to criticize the highest levels at SU. If losing seasons and barely breaking .500 is what fans now expect out of SU, then that’s what will be delivered. The once proud athletic department of the 80’s, 90’s and early 2000’s is all but gone. The results are no where near what they used to be. I guess there’s some fans that are completely fine with mediocrity.

I’m concerned you don’t have the opinion that they are not abysmal, therefore implying the results have been good.

Also, while Lax has been a long-standing cornerstone of Syracuse athletics, it’s not a major revenue sport.

It seems like a lot of people around here are scared to criticize the highest levels at SU. If losing seasons and barely breaking .500 is what fans now expect out of SU, then that’s what will be delivered. The once proud athletic department of the 80’s, 90’s and early 2000’s is all but gone. The results are no where near what they used to be. I guess there’s some fans that are completely fine with mediocrity.
If you are AD what do you do?

Fire JB? As many here have alluded to you don’t have the authority.

Fire Babers and reset the football clock back to zero? That was one option… but instead he opened the purse strings and forced Babers to hired some legit coaches to help him out. The result was a top 10 caliber team to start the year, but then was decimated by injuries. The team still has had the 2nd best season in a decade and has the potential to have a special season next year. So I would say Wildhack made the right call there.

Curious what you or anyone else would do in Wildhack’s shoes.

Dude, no one is “scared”. They disagree with your hyperventilating premise.

as his boss you tell him you don't like the way he's conducting his post game interviews , it reflects badly on the university and to show more respect to the media and stop calling out players or else he'll be suspended. JB won't be able to rein it in . so you suspend him. that gets the ball rolling..

You're coming off like the solution to any problem is just to apply the proper amount of outrage. Works on social media, doesn't work in actual life. Just because everyone isn't onboard with firebombing Wildhack's office with you, doesn't mean we are all "satisfied with mediocrity" and all the other platitudes. Give it rest, nobody is jumping for joy with the current situation.

Fire JB? As many here have alluded to you don’t have the authority.

Fire Babers and reset the football clock back to zero? That was one option… but instead he opened the purse strings and forced Babers to hired some legit coaches to help him out. The result was a top 10 caliber team to start the year, but then was decimated by injuries. The team still has had the 2nd best season in a decade and has the potential to have a special season next year. So I would say Wildhack made the right call there.

Curious what you or anyone else would do in Wildhack’s shoes.
If you are Wildhack you absolutely find a way to make this JB’s last season. If he can’t make that happen, then the institution that is Syracuse University needs to re-evaluate their approach to athletics and just come out and state they have no interest in producing winning programs that compete for national championships. If the SU administration’s goal is to be a mediocre athletics program, then they are succeeding (it could very well be their goal).

Sucks for the long time die-hard fans if the SU administration has made a decision behind the scenes to no longer compete at the highest level.

as his boss you tell him you don't like the way he's conducting his post game interviews , it reflects badly on the university and to show more respect to the media and stop calling out players or else he'll be suspended. JB won't be able to rein it in . so you suspend him. that gets the ball rolling..
That’s the hill to die on? Post game interviews? I don’t think anyone really cares about post game interviews beyond the die hard on this board? How many people even watch them?

So we are down to mens basketball and football. I agree these are the two most consequential programs in the AD's portfolio and most critical to any evaluation, although on field/court performance is not the entirity of the job.

There is a wide spectrum between abyssmal and good. And I don't think anyone is scared to criticize where criticism is due, but the decision was made with football to remove obstacles and give Babers every opportunity to succeed. Based on preseason criteria of virtually everyone who follows college football, this season was a success.

I agree mens basketball program is not in a good position right now, but don't think it sinks to abyssmal, and not sure what the AD can do to change things in the short term. Sitting down with the H0F head coach and agreeing to a transition plan is probably the most reasonable outcome. And whether it is this year or next, that plan is in place. I honestly wish JB would decide to ride into the sunset, he deserves it, and I have little confidence that he can complegtely turn that ship around.

Let's not forget about the two major NIL foundations and the commitment from a major donor to augment those with marquis player sponsorships. You can be assured that Wildhack was instrumental in supporting the establishment of these initiatives as smuch as he posiibly could be in alignment with NCAA regulations.

You're coming off like the solution to any problem is just to apply the proper amount of outrage. Works on social media, doesn't work in actual life. Just because everyone isn't onboard with firebombing Wildhack's office with you, doesn't mean we are all "satisfied with mediocrity" and all the other platitudes. Give it rest, nobody is jumping for joy with the current situation.
Blah. I can criticize the AD and call for his firing. Public pressure needs to be put on JW as well as JB.

He is fine as the AD. But I get the impression that he puts too much faith in those below him given that he doesn't have the athletic department background. Some of those people seem to need an upgrade.
I think that’s a reasonable assessment.

If you are Wildhack you absolutely find a way to make this JB’s last season. If he can’t make that happen, then the institution that is Syracuse University needs to re-evaluate their approach to athletics and just come out and state they have no interest in producing winning programs that compete for national championships. If the SU administration’s goal is to be a mediocre athletics program, then they are succeeding (it could very well be their goal).

Sucks for the long time die-hard fans if the SU administration has made a decision behind the scenes to no longer compete at the highest level.
I can't believe that even you believe that the SUAD has a goal of mediocrity. And if you truly believe the ultimate critical success factor is whether JB coaches one or two more years I'll just bow out as logic apparently has no part in any further discussion.

Blah. I can criticize the AD and call for his firing. Public pressure needs to be put on JW as well as JB.

The fans wanted JB fired ... back in 1982. Can you imagine where SU basketball would be right now without Pearl, DC, Sherm, Billy O, etc...?

Good thing the Administration didn't pay any attention to the "fans" back then.

I'd like to think the current Administration won't take their cues from a bunch of anonymous internet posters on some message board.

I'm totally with you. You can be as critical as you want. I was commenting on your apparent anger that the rest of us are not actively or outwardly losing our ever loving minds. Further, that you believe your solution to the current problems is the ONLY solution and that if anyone disagrees with said solution it means they are an "apologist" or are completely thrilled with the current situation.

I can't believe that even you believe that the SUAD has a goal of mediocrity. And if you truly believe the ultimate critical success factor is whether JB coaches one or two more years I'll just bow out as logic apparently has no part in any further discussion.

I think the bigger question is timing. We have the collectives this is good. We have the Dome and facility investments, this is good. We have staff investments in football that is good.

We also have what is likely the worst decade of Hoops results since the 70s, a weak ACC football team with persistsnt on field discipline issues ( from a public view) and a hoops program with another NCAA infraction that came as part of a longtime investigation.p

In recent years we have now fallen behind our peers in the state with Hoops and our peers in the Northeast.

Fan support in the Dome is clearly fading and losing patience. We are set for an awful fan turnout, which honestly is warranted given the results.

So back to timing- are we OK with this lingering for 5 years? 3 years? I mean we can't do anything but express our concern and hope for a decision that gets us on the right track. All that said the longer this persists the harder it is to dig out and get back where we should be. No matter JWs rolodex, we are now a bubble team at best in basketball in the national eyes, irrelevant otherwise for the most part and you have to start asking if that even fades as we enter another likely losing season.

Football did outperform expectations- by the skin of their teeth and it's hard to know if this is another blip on the radar or something we can sustain. The last 20 years isn't in our favor in that regard.

So again this rant/ramble is that yes its a unicorn scenario for Hoops and yes there are valid points on what JW brings in certain areas. With all that said the longer this goes on we might be standing with all these shiny things and money spent and no one cares anymore because we are mediocre or worse across the board...

I think it's fair to say frustration and looking for action is a reasonable response.

I think the last part is that if we are at the point where competitive, not a contender is where the university is going to rest their hat- then so be it and make it clear to the fanbase. Obviously this is never what someone marketing a program will do but until decisions and improvements are evident this is the message we are sending for our revenue generating sports base, the base losing its faith.

The fans wanted JB fired ... back in 1982. Can you imagine where SU basketball would be right now without Pearl, DC, Sherm, Billy O, etc...?

Good thing the Administration didn't pay any attention to the "fans" back then.

I'd like to think the current Administration won't take their cues from a bunch of anonymous internet posters on some message board.
Was JB 78 in 1982

I can’t believe we keep punting basketball seasons. I realize fan support has been incredible for 40 years, but there’s an entire generation of young sports fans ages 8-18 who think Syracuse basketball kinda sucks. Can’t take for granted that the fans will keep showing up.

The Dome doesn’t work if there’s nobody there.

Fans barely watch the press conferences, much less the nation. No one cares what JB says in them

I think the bigger question is timing. We have the collectives this is good. We have the Dome and facility investments, this is good. We have staff investments in football that is good.

We also have what is likely the worst decade of Hoops results since the 70s, a weak ACC football team with persistsnt on field discipline issues ( from a public view) and a hoops program with another NCAA infraction that came as part of a longtime investigation.p

In recent years we have now fallen behind our peers in the state with Hoops and our peers in the Northeast.

Fan support in the Dome is clearly fading and losing patience. We are set for an awful fan turnout, which honestly is warranted given the results.

So back to timing- are we OK with this lingering for 5 years? 3 years? I mean we can't do anything but express our concern and hope for a decision that gets us on the right track. All that said the longer this persists the harder it is to dig out and get back where we should be. No matter JWs rolodex, we are now a bubble team at best in basketball in the national eyes, irrelevant otherwise for the most part and you have to start asking if that even fades as we enter another likely losing season.

Football did outperform expectations- by the skin of their teeth and it's hard to know if this is another blip on the radar or something we can sustain. The last 20 years isn't in our favor in that regard.

So again this rant/ramble is that yes its a unicorn scenario for Hoops and yes there are valid points on what JW brings in certain areas. With all that said the longer this goes on we might be standing with all these shiny things and money spent and no one cares anymore because we are mediocre or worse across the board...

I think it's fair to say frustration and looking for action is a reasonable response.

I think the last part is that if we are at the point where competitive, not a contender is where the university is going to rest their hat- then so be it and make it clear to the fanbase. Obviously this is never what someone marketing a program will do but until decisions and improvements are evident this is the message we are sending for our revenue generating sports base, the base losing its faith.
OK, now we are finding some common ground. Based on where we are right now I don;t think it is fair to call the football program a weak ACC team. We just finished 4-4 in what is clearly the better of the two divisions after a year where we were literally 1 play from a bowl. In three straight games! The goal of the football program should be a consistent bowl team with 7-8 wins every year and an occassional break through to double digits. We are not far off of that and I think the odds of getting there are better with Dino, the upgraded coaching staff and the investments in NIL and facilities than with an unknown alternative. Especially if you want to have some kind of consistency going forward rather than a shiny new toy that will jump to the next opening at Wisconsin or whatever B1G/SEC school comes calling if he is successful.

Hoops cannot continue to slide as it has. For one thing the goals should be much higher. We should be a perennial top 3-4 ACC team and a top half of the bracket seed every year. JB has walked a razor's edge by falling well below that level, but focusing on March and deep tournament runs. Can;t do that if you don't make the dance and I have very little confidence that he can get us in the dance consistently at this point in his life. That being said, he has earned the right to have a say in how he goes out, provided it is agreed to and a resonable time frame. I fully believe that is the case and that his post season sit down with JW and the resultant "ironclad plan" is exactly that. I will live through this year. I would grudgingly live through next, particularly if the young talent shows signs of growth and formation of a strong base to rebuild the program on. Beyond that and, while I might not align with the OP that Wildhack should be dismissed, something more severe needs to occur.