So Wildhack..he has to be fired, right? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

So Wildhack..he has to be fired, right?

I would start by offering Tony Bennett a ten year $65-75 million dollar contract. Hes the best coach in the country and there’s not even a close second. He’s well worth the money. He could probably recruit easier at SU than at Virginia.
Dunno about hiring him...but agree that he is the best coach in America now that Jay Wright has retired.

Dunno about hiring him...but agree that he is the best coach in America now that Jay Wright has retired.

The idea that we could get Bennet is preposterous. Same for Jay Wright - until he retired that is. He’s young enough that he could possibly put himself back on the market and get back into coaching. Someone else has “his” job now at Nova so there is actually a chance. I’d wag a guess of Bennett at 0.001% chance and Wright at a 10% chance.

We're not firing Wildhack, we're not firing JB, and we're not firing Dino.

JB will leave on his own terms.

Dino just went 7-5.

People seriously need to get over their anger. Save it for game threads, that's your pillow to scream into.
Fine with Dino. I think there's a ceiling there as his feel for the game sucks, but we are in better position for football now since P was here.

The longer JB sticks around the angrier I get. I gave him a pass for coaching Buddy even though I thought he managed the roster terribly going back to the sweet 16 in 2020, but why come back for this and why guarantee a tournament bid?

We have ZERO recruits for next year. ZERO. There looks to be no hope for this season or next.

Ha ha ha ha ha…

He does need to change the basketball coach - much like HE changed the lacrosse coach. Let’s see what happens.

Agree, Crazy post

Can someone confirm that JW has the authority to make a change with JB or DB and wouldn't need STRONG support from the upper administration/trustees etc... If so, does he have this support.

I surmise that JW making a change with DB or JB (that would require strong financial and public perception implications) would require support from these groups. Otherwise, it would be tantamount to career suicide.

Attendance is only one thing. How much income including donations etc... does the sports dept bring in vs prior to JW? This data likely isn't completely available, but without it we're all working with only half the picture.

Last edited:
I would start by offering Tony Bennett a ten year $65-75 million dollar contract. Hes the best coach in the country and there’s not even a close second. He’s well worth the money. He could probably recruit easier at SU than at Virginia.
Look at the endowments for Syracuse(2B) and Virginia (14B). I'd be shocked if SU could ever even come close to winning a bidding war with Virginia.

Yes, there are rules about how endowments can be spent etc... but in general Virginia is many times richer than SU.

I was told JB is hanging it up after this year and the hire is predictable for hc/assistant along with someone we all know very well added to the staff to help with recruiting/player development. Decent source but u know how these things go.

I was told JB is hanging it up after this year and the hire is predictable for hc/assistant along with someone we all know very well added to the staff to help with recruiting/player development. Decent source but u know how these things go.
Thanks for the insight. Just wondering how your track record is on bold predictions ? Should I wager on this ?

Overall, JW deserves credit for a lot of the good things happening with SU Athletics, and yes that means more than just football and basketball. He has some big challenges ahead with trying to land the airplane that is JB's career and getting the next coach off the ground, though, that's for sure.

I mean this sounds like Hop and Murph would be coming home...

Thanks for the insight. Just wondering how your track record is on bold predictions ? Should I wager on this ?
No lol. Just sharing something I was told by someone close to me who has a connection. It's not really a earth shattering scenario tbh and something I can definitely see happening.

Thanks for sharing your information. Interesting nugget. I could see JB just at the end saying goodbye without the season long goodbye. Simple and clean and it might explain partly why there are no recruiting updates.

I hope after all the renovations that will be taking place to the sports facilities that they set-up a spot for JB. Maybe a luxury box at JMA packed with all the things he must have in his office. It would be the right thing to do and also a good investment - I can see him being very important in the recruiting and fundraising role in retirement.

I hope after all the renovations that will be taking place to the sports facilities that they set-up a spot for JB. Maybe a luxury box at JMA packed with all the things he must have in his office. It would be the right thing to do and also a good investment - I can see him being very important in the recruiting and fundraising role in retirement.
JB isn’t putting any effort into recruiting while he’s the head coach, but you expect him to play a very important role in recruiting when he’s retired?

I think the typical 15-17 year old high major basketball recruit could care less if JB got involved in their recruitment.

I want a new assistant who’s a known recruiter and can teach defense. That’s not Devo. He played defense almost as bad as Girard.

Nope. Stays in house and adding someone that's already been on staff before that hasn't wandered far off.
If that’s the case they need to bring in someone a little older for a player development/special assistant to the head coach role. Stephen Thompson would make a lot of sense considering that’s his role at Oregon state and he’s been coaching a while.

JW is here as long as he wants to be. We are unbelievably fortunate to have him as our AD.
Strong leaders have blind spots too. I am hopeful he sees them and is able to navigate them. I understand the MBB situation is impossible for anyone in that chair, but something needs to happen. He knows it - but can he do something about it before it flatlines?

I mean this sounds like Hop and Murph would be coming home...
If Autry or Gmac get the job, I will throw up. Neither one of them is ready for primetime. I was talking with some family members who are big Cuse fans this weekend and none of them could envision one of those guys getting the job. They all said the same thing—they don’t command a room or look anything like program leaders. I could live with Hop, especially if he has a solid year at Washington (and that looks possible now). At least he has years of actual head coaching experience now and has a great reputation as a recruiter and is a proven leader.

If Autry or Gmac get the job, I will throw up. Neither one of them is ready for primetime. I was talking with some family members who are big Cuse fans this weekend and none of them could envision one of those guys getting the job. They all said the same thing—they don’t command a room or look anything like program leaders. I could live with Hop, especially if he has a solid year at Washington (and that looks possible now). At least he has years of actual head coaching experience now and has a great reputation as a recruiter and is a proven leader.
It almost doesn’t matter who the next coach is… odds are he or she will be out in 3 years. It’s also hard to predict what recruiting will look like when you have a coach with JBs experience. Fwiw the current class looks like a pretty solid class of players with one star. It’s not their fault they were recruited to a team with three very flawed players and one very flawed hc. Imagine what the assistant coaches could do if one of them was the head honcho?

The key is to get the clock going on the next guy asap.