So Wildhack..he has to be fired, right? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

So Wildhack..he has to be fired, right?

I can’t believe we keep punting basketball seasons. I realize fan support has been incredible for 40 years, but there’s an entire generation of young sports fans ages 8-18 who think Syracuse basketball kinda sucks. Can’t take for granted that the fans will keep showing up.

The Dome doesn’t work if there’s nobody there.
Not to mention how that will affect recruiting. Soon the prospects won't have ever seen Syracuse as a good basketball team if this continues.

At this point the entire athletic department is a shell of its former self. I’m assuming there’s conversations happening at the highest level about Wildhack. Seems like he has to be on the chopping block based on the disastrous state of the core revenue generating athletic programs. It was a flyer to hire him based on his background. I think it was a failed experiment. The teams and buildings may look pretty, but the end result on the field is hot garbage.
The only hot garbage I see is some of the takes in this thread.

OK, now we are finding some common ground. Based on where we are right now I don;t think it is fair to call the football program a weak ACC team. We just finished 4-4 in what is clearly the better of the two divisions after a year where we were literally 1 play from a bowl. In three straight games! The goal of the football program should be a consistent bowl team with 7-8 wins every year and an occassional break through to double digits. We are not far off of that and I think the odds of getting there are better with Dino, the upgraded coaching staff and the investments in NIL and facilities than with an unknown alternative. Especially if you want to have some kind of consistency going forward rather than a shiny new toy that will jump to the next opening at Wisconsin or whatever B1G/SEC school comes calling if he is successful.

Hoops cannot continue to slide as it has. For one thing the goals should be much higher. We should be a perennial top 3-4 ACC team and a top half of the bracket seed every year. JB has walked a razor's edge by falling well below that level, but focusing on March and deep tournament runs. Can;t do that if you don't make the dance and I have very little confidence that he can get us in the dance consistently at this point in his life. That being said, he has earned the right to have a say in how he goes out, provided it is agreed to and a resonable time frame. I fully believe that is the case and that his post season sit down with JW and the resultant "ironclad plan" is exactly that. I will live through this year. I would grudgingly live through next, particularly if the young talent shows signs of growth and formation of a strong base to rebuild the program on. Beyond that and, while I might not align with the OP that Wildhack should be dismissed, something more severe needs to occur.

We align maybe not on all details. For football we have to be able to replicate this year's success next year in terms of playing in a bowl. Also we have to clean up the penalties. Rivalry or not the Cruz stuff on top of penalties and end of game foolishness has to get cleaned up.

As for Hoops my legit worry is that if we end up with another losing season, we have to have a bounce back year of significant proportion after or attendance will dive much faster than it has already. What does Syveruud do with budgeting and funds when it's clear athletics aren't cutting it?

There will be external variables which should be debated on the OT board at play too. I don't want to see us boxed into a decision around priorities because of a delay in decisions and changes prior. Also I really worry about attrition this year. Losing can be poisonous. We could lose multiple freshmen and then be forced into the portal and honestly our success there has been mixed in terms of Wins and losses. The portal and NIL make attrition a massive issue that plagues teams that are struggling more than those that arent.

The fans wanted JB fired ... back in 1982. Can you imagine where SU basketball would be right now without Pearl, DC, Sherm, Billy O, etc...?

Good thing the Administration didn't pay any attention to the "fans" back then.

I'd like to think the current Administration won't take their cues from a bunch of anonymous internet posters on some message board.
Didn’t they pretty much already do this by hiring WildJ? ;)

Fans barely watch the press conferences, much less the nation. No one cares what JB says in them
you can't really say win X number of games or you're fired. that's a bit draconian. you can however cite conduct as an administrator and give time off . as i stated. step one. move his office to a closet in the basement take away his parking space.these are your prerogatives .whatever. give him no choice but to leave.

"... Gait is here to recruit elite talent which Desko stopped doing."

Desko was at the helm recruiting Spallina - 2022 #1 Recruit in the nation.

So was Pat March who was brought in by ADJW.

But that's a conversation for a different board.

The fans wanted JB fired ... back in 1982. Can you imagine where SU basketball would be right now without Pearl, DC, Sherm, Billy O, etc...?

Good thing the Administration didn't pay any attention to the "fans" back then.

I'd like to think the current Administration won't take their cues from a bunch of anonymous internet posters on some message board.
Congrats, you are guilty of a “Hasty Generalization” logic fallacy

I would start by offering Tony Bennett a ten year $65-75 million dollar contract. Hes the best coach in the country and there’s not even a close second. He’s well worth the money. He could probably recruit easier at SU than at Virginia.

We're not firing Wildhack, we're not firing JB, and we're not firing Dino.

JB will leave on his own terms.

Dino just went 7-5.

People seriously need to get over their anger. Save it for game threads, that's your pillow to scream into.

I would start by offering Tony Bennett a ten year $65-75 million dollar contract. Hes the best coach in the country and there’s not even a close second. He’s well worth the money. He could probably recruit easier at SU than at Virginia.
Bennett
Wright
Donovan

This is the energy we need to get back to.

Oh, and Popovich.

People forget Wildhack was a hero on this board after he extended Dino after the 10-3 season. That's what everybody on here clamored for and Wildhack delivered. Not his fault that football has floundered since then. BTW, I know this is a basketball thread but FB has come up a lot in it.

you can't really say win X number of games or you're fired. that's a bit draconian. you can however cite conduct as an administrator and give time off . as i stated. step one. move his office to a closet in the basement take away his parking space.these are your prerogatives .whatever. give him no choice but to leave.
Okay…

So much excellent discussion, but the answer is a clear 'NO'.

The feeling has been as long as JB was winning and filling the Dome, life was OK over the past 40+ years. Great rivalry games during the Big East years were really exciting. Thompson, Louie, PJ, and Rollie contests were fun games to be a part of. All are long gone. Rivals at UNC and Duke - retired… For 46 years, JB has been a big fish in a little pond and afforded the opportunity to make his own rules with the Admin and the University. He shouldn’t be considered to be bigger than the University. JW and the Administration write the checks and make the rules, not college coaches. With losing records abound and only three 20 win seasons since joining the ACC, it seems obvious the time for JB has come. It’s just not working anymore and getting worse, and the University is quickly losing its fan base. Carolina and Duke have handled the transition without skipping a beat with their programs. Syracuse should take note before it’s really too late and firing JW is not close to the answer.

Last edited:
His name comes up and everyone complains he playys too slow. We would rather lose fast than win slooooww.

Last edited:
JW is here as long as he wants to be. We are unbelievably fortunate to have him as our AD.

So we have a bball coach and an AD that get to just keep their job as long as they want?

This is no commentary on JW - he's had some good and bad to his time here, but I am over anyone feeling so secure in their job that they can write their own retirement or exit.