So... will there be changes amongst the coaching staff? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So... will there be changes amongst the coaching staff?

I agree for the most part BUT the only unit that I have seen play with consistent proper technique is the DL.. the DT's included. LB's have been very inconsistent with there technique as well... what in the world are our postion coaches talking to these guys about? and what kind of instruction/reinforcement are they being given?
I will say this about our OL.. If the scheme is so complicated or demanding that we cant get kids in the game that have been in the program2 or 3 years then what the hell are we doing? Its just not that difficult... a complete review of the way we are coaching.. including how we are reinforce the basics as well as the OL scheme and the way we are running things needs to take place and I will tell you something else.. watching what they are teaching the tackles to do with there hands on pass plays is a little off.. they got them palms out quickly but there hands are too close together.. I want width with hands being at shoulder width giving our guys more leverage. I am not seeing that from the tackles.. some times I have seen Servais not even using his hands.. and using his forearms for Christ sake.. seen that from our guards some too... the details are not being cleaned up and that is a coaching issue
You mentioned Servais using a forearm(shoulder)block. Nothing wrong with that, on a designed run. The forearm is thrown up, elbow out, maximizing surface and engagement. It use to be taught to drive it up through the defenders chin. (knock his block off) When done properly, this block allows the full force of the Olinemens legs to be delivered to the defender, over a wide area, in one crushing blow. When executed properly, it delivers more power than hands are capable of. (your hands would break-think 600lb squat 450 bench, its powerful) It's a hell of a block, but requires execution and delivery. Yeah, you''ll see it on Sunday, mostly on goal line. (when you must win).

It's a long running oline coach debate. So you know, that's no **** block. It's an attempt at violent power. ( I like) Some coaches teach it with the fist in the middle of the pec. I like it closer to the sternum, the initial blow is more powerful, followed by the crush of the shoulder(the fist naturally extends out to maximize area). Very effective, either way. Hard to coach. Very effective. Exceptional violence. (Dlinemen HATE this block)

It is that difficult. I might not disagree with your pass comments. Oline play is complicated(why I love it). I'm of the mindset that blue bloods have a bigger staff that can develop the 2's, 3's... We don't have that. That's a problem. To be clear, I like that Cav is including a Delaware T shoulder block. It can be devastating. (especially with a 270lb center blocking a 330 NT) I don't like that we may not have the assets to coach that through the ranks.

Blame Cav, if you want. I think it has as much to do with our developemental prospects needing coaching assets that we struggle with. I'm of the mindset that the shoulder block has been implemented to differentiate from our RPO. Logically, that's fundamentally sound. It should eliminate illegal man downfield, from knock their block off blocks. Whether thats ZBS or power is the next question.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that Dino is not sticking around after this year. His demeanor has changed so much from previous years. The losing is starting to weigh on him. Not sure where he will go, but my gut says not here. I hope I am wrong cause even though his coaching calls are questionable (ex; FG from the 2) I think he may be the best we can get.

Seem very unlikely any school can sell Dino to their fan base after this season and what board is going to sign off on his buyout for a 3-9 coach

I think the coaching H0T Takes are a bit overstated. Offensively, there’s really two main issues...

We need help on the OL for sure. Very young, very poor technique. Definitely a coaching component. The players will get better with age, and OL is the hardest position to coach in football, it takes time. Throw in youth and inexperience and you can be in trouble. This is the one area of the current coaching staff that I’d most consider a change.

QB - TD is different than what we’re used to. He just does not have great pocket presence nor awareness. Some of which can be developed, so my hope was that he would get better there. Thus far, he has somewhat, but not enough. The OC/QB Coach should be limiting reads and giving him quick decisions. They’ve tried to do this, we just haven’t been very efficient and end up behind the sticks. Tough to sustain drives like that and that’s the key to our offense - sustaining drives.

I wouldn’t consider firing Lynch. The play calls aren’t poor, the execution is, that’s more on the position coaches.

At WR/TE/RB we are very talented. We just haven’t got them the ball in great positions.

/point
/sputter

"OMG you said a non-complimentary thing about the man I have deified! REPENT!"

Not sure why so many on here believe Babers has left humanity behind and is beyond mortal criticism. You guys are so invested in him, you've lost all perspective.

I have a feeling that Dino is not sticking around after this year. His demeanor has changed so much from previous years. The losing is starting to weigh on him. Not sure where he will go, but my gut says not here. I hope I am wrong cause even though his coaching calls are questionable (ex; FG from the 2) I think he may be the best we can get.

Are you kidding me? Where is he going to go? D2? Nobody is hiring him now because he is, AT THIS MOMENT, a one-hit wonder. He's glad to be making the millions he's getting now.

Are you kidding me? Where is he going to go? D2? Nobody is hiring him now because he is, AT THIS MOMENT, a one-hit wonder. He's glad to be making the millions he's getting now.

a one-hit wonder? Lol

you didn’t answer the question.

also, no. There are ways to bolster the OL in the offseason. Don’t write off two years

I’m not sure that improving the offensive line with a few transfers is going to be the answer. We tried that this year. It hasn’t worked. There are other issues.

4 - 8, 4- 8. 10 - 3, probably 3 -9. What would you call it? No hiring AD cares about the MAC.

year one, beat a top 20 ranked VaTech
year two, beat a top 5 ranked Clemson
year three, 10-3

clear growth - this year is disappointing because we’ve taken steps backwards under Babers for the first time. There’s a reason his name was popping for bigger jobs last year

year one, beat a top 20 ranked VaTech
year two, beat a top 5 ranked Clemson
year three, 10-3

clear growth - this year is disappointing because we’ve taken steps backwards under Babers for the first time. There’s a reason his name was popping for bigger jobs last year

Yes, but with this year's regression, ADs are going to hit the pause button and say, let's see what happens in 2020.

What other issues? Seems like they pretty much all stem from bad OL play.

Let’s see if they can fix the offensive line and then we’ll see whether that was the only problem.

We’re headed for a 3-9 or 4-8 season. Maybe something similar next year. That would be 4 losing seasons in 5 years.
its 3-9 ... no way I see them winning anything left on the schedule

Cavanaugh needs to go. That much is clear.

Lynch? Think he's safe?

Ward? Is he safe?

How about the WR coach? or the QB coach? Neither of those two units seem to have much progress being made, either.

No idea but I do know something needs to be shaken up.
Well cav has to go and lynch can’t call a game to save his life. I feel we play ok on defense but seems we give up a lot of 3rd downs to te passes to guys who are open by five yards. Don’t get that.

I think the coaching H0T Takes are a bit overstated. Offensively, there’s really two main issues...

We need help on the OL for sure. Very young, very poor technique. Definitely a coaching component. The players will get better with age, and OL is the hardest position to coach in football, it takes time. Throw in youth and inexperience and you can be in trouble. This is the one area of the current coaching staff that I’d most consider a change.

QB - TD is different than what we’re used to. He just does not have great pocket presence nor awareness. Some of which can be developed, so my hope was that he would get better there. Thus far, he has somewhat, but not enough. The OC/QB Coach should be limiting reads and giving him quick decisions. They’ve tried to do this, we just haven’t been very efficient and end up behind the sticks. Tough to sustain drives like that and that’s the key to our offense - sustaining drives.

I wouldn’t consider firing Lynch. The play calls aren’t poor, the execution is, that’s more on the position coaches.

At WR/TE/RB we are very talented. We just haven’t got them the ball in great positions.

Would probably agree with everything except the youth component.

We start a grad transfer, a senior, a junior, a sophomore and a freshman. Three upperclassmen. And Alexander/Servais have arguably been the two worst of the five. Has little to do with youth, IMO. Inexperience playing together, maybe. But the coaching needs to be better.

In his previous head coach stops his success was with the previous coach’s talent. Now there is concern he can’t recruit at the level needed to sustain success.

this is false. We don’t win 10 last year without getting new guys in key spots

Yes, but with this year's regression, ADs are going to hit the pause button and say, let's see what happens in 2020.

probably - but I don’t think it’s not that hard for other AD’s to say “it’s hard to recruit there” and look past this year to an extent. But no doubt this year hurts his resume

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom