So... will there be changes amongst the coaching staff? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

So... will there be changes amongst the coaching staff?

Cav not Lynch is the prob

That may be the case, But maybe Dino thinks he’s doing.a good job with what he has. We’re not at practice everyday. Remember, Cav was the line coach of a line that was pretty good last year.

You mentioned Servais using a forearm(shoulder)block. Nothing wrong with that, on a designed run. The forearm is thrown up, elbow out, maximizing surface and engagement. It use to be taught to drive it up through the defenders chin. (knock his block off) When done properly, this block allows the full force of the Olinemens legs to be delivered to the defender, over a wide area, in one crushing blow. When executed properly, it delivers more power than hands are capable of. (your hands would break-think 600lb squat 450 bench, its powerful) It's a hell of a block, but requires execution and delivery. Yeah, you''ll see it on Sunday, mostly on goal line. (when you must win).

It's a long running oline coach debate. So you know, that's no **** block. It's an attempt at violent power. ( I like) Some coaches teach it with the fist in the middle of the pec. I like it closer to the sternum, the initial blow is more powerful, followed by the crush of the shoulder(the fist naturally extends out to maximize area). Very effective, either way. Hard to coach. Very effective. Exceptional violence. (Dlinemen HATE this block)

It is that difficult. I might not disagree with your pass comments. Oline play is complicated(why I love it). I'm of the mindset that blue bloods have a bigger staff that can develop the 2's, 3's... We don't have that. That's a problem. To be clear, I like that Cav is including a Delaware T shoulder block. It can be devastating. (especially with a 270lb center blocking a 330 NT) I don't like that we may not have the assets to coach that through the ranks.

Blame Cav, if you want. I think it has as much to do with our developemental prospects needing coaching assets that we struggle with. I'm of the mindset that the shoulder block has been implemented to differentiate from our RPO. Logically, that's fundamentally sound. It should eliminate illegal man downfield, from knock their block off blocks. Whether thats ZBS or power is the next question.
Everything you said is correct but part of coaching is understanding what your guys can execute and what they cant execute... At the college level, I want them getting hands on guys, especially if I am seeing them get zero push with "power run blocks using the shoulder technique". What I see quite frankly is guys losing a boat load of leverage on most plays in either passing or running plays. The only play they seem to be getting good leverage with is the QB sneak when having 1 or 2 yards to go for a first. Watch Georgia, Alabama and solid team that can run.. you will see hands on guys in the middle.. They want to be able to limit there movement and control them to open up holes.. Our Guards have not been being "handsy" enough. Servais has not been "handsy" enough IMO. My problem is diagnosing properly and then fixing the problem has to match up in a way that's getting results.. Let me be clear.. Most coaches at D1 can coach.. They are seeing what we see.. My problem is the fix action in relation to results.. It does zero good if guys cant execute a proper "shoulder block technique" in week 7 to keep going over the technique... Maybe our guys aren't athletic enough to pull it off, or maybe they just lack a sense of leverage when engaged.. what ever it is.. its not working... Go back to basics and get hands on guys. Look at SEC teams and any solid run teams... Watch the guards and center... they are getting there hands on guys in both running and passing plays... Its a philosophy thing and from what I have seen a change in philosophy is needed to a more physical "handsy" type of scheme. Good conversation

Oh for f***’s sake...

I knew I’d get you with that one, Mad. Too easy. I shouldn’t post right after a game, but I am a bit concerned how the rest of this season and next shakes out.

At this point is it possible for them to play worse. What could possibly go wrong if we release the coach now. I mean, these guys aren’t even getting their physical body in front of a 4 man rush. We could let the kids coach themselves the rest of the season and probably not see any decline in what we’re watching now.

It's funny you say that, last night i was thinking what would happen if these guys coached themselves and went on instinct, probably not much difference at all.

Cav's definitely on a hot seat and i think Lynch is as well. So many times I saw us run a 4 or 5 wide receiver set, but Devito would have no receivers inside the first down marker. I understand Lynch likes Devito's arm, but we need to have quick checkdowns available for devito, especially with how poor this OL has been at protecting him

Except for the fact that his defense has given up touchdowns on back to back weeks by two different teams with basically the same play. His team can't tackle and last night made twp might mite runners look like All Americans. That when his team needed a stop and knowing Pitt was not going to throw it had his linebackers five to six yards off the ball and got gashed on three consecutive plays. Ward is not a good coordinator and his defense is not very good. Wait to you see what a fast FSU with Akers does to them. Ward by no means should be safe if changes are made and lots of changes should be made.
That is the key. Why would we possibly let them beat us again with the qb throwback. What in the actual blank are they coaching. Shoulda been the first play they practiced. Ward has good talent on this defense and most of his calls baffle me. Now the other thing I saw Richards was in in first half and all backers were scattering around not knowing what to do and they run at Richards as he was moving down. Why the hell aren’t we set. I seen it all game yesterday. Also didn’t see Richards much after that even though that’s not his fault. Piss poor coaching and as u can tell I feel ward should go. He isn’t even a good lb coach.

Everything you said is correct but part of coaching is understanding what your guys can execute and what they cant execute... At the college level, I want them getting hands on guys, especially if I am seeing them get zero push with "power run blocks using the shoulder technique". What I see quite frankly is guys losing a boat load of leverage on most plays in either passing or running plays. The only play they seem to be getting good leverage with is the QB sneak when having 1 or 2 yards to go for a first. Watch Georgia, Alabama and solid team that can run.. you will see hands on guys in the middle.. They want to be able to limit there movement and control them to open up holes.. Our Guards have not been being "handsy" enough. Servais has not been "handsy" enough IMO. My problem is diagnosing properly and then fixing the problem has to match up in a way that's getting results.. Let me be clear.. Most coaches at D1 can coach.. They are seeing what we see.. My problem is the fix action in relation to results.. It does zero good if guys cant execute a proper "shoulder block technique" in week 7 to keep going over the technique... Maybe our guys aren't athletic enough to pull it off, or maybe they just lack a sense of leverage when engaged.. what ever it is.. its not working... Go back to basics and get hands on guys. Look at SEC teams and any solid run teams... Watch the guards and center... they are getting there hands on guys in both running and passing plays... Its a philosophy thing and from what I have seen a change in philosophy is needed to a more physical "handsy" type of scheme. Good conversation
No sense having the shoulder/hand debate. My point was simply, it's one of the most devastating blocks, WHEN executed. Execution is necessary, either style.

As far as push, we're ZBS. More Lateral, to create movement on the Dline. RPO is going to have guys giving up before 3 yards. (1 yard nfl) Man/power allows push, by design. In that regard, we're supposed to look different.

I wonder if our push on QB sneak, is because we're running power (dedicated hole)? Wouldnt be surprised. I'd love to see more power run. Many teams use both.

Cav's definitely on a hot seat and i think Lynch is as well. So many times I saw us run a 4 or 5 wide receiver set, but Devito would have no receivers inside the first down marker. I understand Lynch likes Devito's arm, but we need to have quick checkdowns available for devito, especially with how poor this OL has been at protecting him
He never gives Td an out with checkdowns. Every other team does it but us.

I'm not going to hold my breathe. This staff, like the previous staff has a minor league/crony mentality. Top programs fire coach immediately after games, they don't even wait until the end of the season. They also want the best possible candidate; they're not concerned about "familia..."

For all the OMG the program is over
It takes awhile to build a program back up after the train-wreck we went through
That's take a look at the last major rebuild

1981Syracuse4–6–1
1982Syracuse2–9
1983Syracuse6–5
1984Syracuse6–5
1985Syracuse7–5L Cherry
1986Syracuse5–6

It's not all going to be smooth sailing
We are a big victim of our own success and a lot of us (myself included) thought it would be 8 plus win season despite loosing a top 3 QB in the history of the school plus most of our OLine
Changes have to be made and 2020 needs to be step back in the right direction
Anyone at this point calling for Dino to go is just insane and might want to go rake leaves for the next few seasons
Probably the most rational post on the board in the last 2 weeks

No sense having the shoulder/hand debate. My point was simply, it's one of the most devastating blocks, WHEN executed. Execution is necessary, either style.

As far as push, we're ZBS. More Lateral, to create movement on the Dline. RPO is going to have guys giving up before 3 yards. (1 yard nfl) Man/power allows push, by design. In that regard, we're supposed to look different.

I wonder if our push on QB sneak, is because we're running power (dedicated hole)? Wouldnt be surprised. I'd love to see more power run. Many teams use both.
[/QUOTE

Yes I believe running power and playing at speed is why its working. I also believe that our OL is getting stood strait up which kills there leverage on most run plays and I have a serious question about what's being coached here. My philosophy definitely does not seem to be on the same page with our staff.. but from what I see.. a change in philosophy might be what we need from our OL grouping. Whatever they are doing is not working and its killing me to the point that I have decided to not fly home this year to watch a game.. something I have done for the last 3 years including attend the bowl game.. The play is so bad.. It would not be much fun for me to be at the game

If we're getting stood up on the snap? That's pretty much the end of oline discussion. If it's on RPO blocks? If they're taught to slow up to keep from 3 yards? That's different. Scheme concept, and trade off.

If we're power on sneaks, and that concept is working? I'd like to see more of it. Those of us that like traditional are slow to adapt to different concepts. Doesnt mean we're right, just need to see full execution to change our minds. If we are having success on power concepts? I'm all for more.

Anyone at this point calling for Dino to go is just insane and might want to go rake leaves for the next few seasons

I agree with you that anyone calling for Dino to go are insane right now. But, I also think people on the extreme other end of the other spectrum who consider his seat to be ice cold are also insane.

If we go like 4-8 this year (a bowl game is still certainly possible against a manageable schedule and I'm praying we can scratch and claw to get there), next year is very important. He wasn't brought here to have 4 losing seasons in 5 years.

Just hope Dino's loyalty to his former staff is not coming back to haunt him. This is big boy football and we need coaches who can recruit and develop the trenches or his vision of this offensive system can never be properly implemented. The recruiting classes and overall depth should have at least started to transform this roster to fit the system. I think most fans can accept the struggles - it's just what is waiting in the wings is a concern.

I'm not going to hold my breathe. This staff, like the previous staff has a minor league/crony mentality. Top programs fire coach immediately after games, they don't even wait until the end of the season. They also want the best possible candidate; they're not concerned about "familia..."

just because it happens occasionally doesn’t make a thing.

I agree with you that anyone calling for Dino to go are insane right now. But, I also think people on the extreme other end of the other spectrum who consider his seat to be ice cold are also insane.

If we go like 4-8 this year (a bowl game is still certainly possible against a manageable schedule and I'm praying we can scratch and claw to get there), next year is very important. He wasn't brought here to have 4 losing seasons in 5 years.
Agreed, some uncomfortable conversations and choices need to happen after season if we miss a bowl game and even if we make a bowl game honestly.

Dino appears to be very loyal to his coaches. Don't believe he's let any go since he's been here. Remember: he was a assistant for many years all over the place, so he is likely very hesitant to relieve others of their job.

Dino appears to be very loyal to his coaches. Don't believe he's let any go since he's been here. Remember: he was a assistant for many years all over the place, so he is likely very hesitant to relieve others of their job.

He hasn’t let anyone go because you don’t let someone go when it’s year 1, year 2 or you win 10 games.

it’s year 4 and they’re a mess. Change can be a good thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom