So... will there be changes amongst the coaching staff? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

So... will there be changes amongst the coaching staff?

Doesn't HCDB share OC duties with Lynch? You see them talking about each call before the play, as well.
Yeah...mentioned I heard that a while back also but people are hot buttoned on Lynch at the moment. If Wildhack tells Babers he needs new blood at Oline and OC/QB at season end, my guess would be he will give Babers plenty of bank to fill the slots. To much invested in the stadium and season ticket holders to go cheap there. Babers may need to focus on letting a new OC run the show as long as they align philosophy wise.

as evidence, you’re submitting what a 10-3 season and a top 20 finish?
U have to see he has no concept of putting the defense on its heels. All u have to do is go back to 1st and goal a bad a bad call on a pass and then 2 brilliant called runs up the middle for 1 yd each we kick field goal. Sorry but that is lazy playcalling with 0 out of the box thinking to get a touch down. That isn’t cav who does have to go but Lynch is just as bad oc as cav is a oline coach. He doesn’t try anything remotely different ever. I have said this since last year, we run 0 hot reads when we get blitzes. Every oc has hot reads in case of a heavy blitz and usually they are quick hitters to the inside guys or pop passes to te. We don’t do any of that. We used to with Lewis and erv but not now. The more short stuff in towards middle of field relieves pressure cause they have to cover. Won’t be able to blitz as much. He has to go. Maybe he does oline and someone else does oc but lynch is not the guy.

if Dino went this direction, I’d trust him
I shouldn’t have sent that last message. Stuff I already said and came back to later and didn’t see rest of thread. Sorry.

I shouldn’t have sent that last message. Stuff I already said and came back to later and didn’t see rest of thread. Sorry.

no worries - you made some good points in your response.

U have to see he has no concept of putting the defense on its heels. All u have to do is go back to 1st and goal a bad a bad call on a pass and then 2 brilliant called runs up the middle for 1 yd each we kick field goal. Sorry but that is lazy playcalling with 0 out of the box thinking to get a touch down. That isn’t cav who does have to go but Lynch is just as bad oc as cav is a oline coach. He doesn’t try anything remotely different ever. I have said this since last year, we run 0 hot reads when we get blitzes. Every oc has hot reads in case of a heavy blitz and usually they are quick hitters to the inside guys or pop passes to te. We don’t do any of that. We used to with Lewis and erv but not now. The more short stuff in towards middle of field relieves pressure cause they have to cover. Won’t be able to blitz as much. He has to go. Maybe he does oline and someone else does oc but lynch is not the guy.
So if hcdb is the other half OC(and likely every call goes through him) are his the good calls? Lynch's the bad? I guess it seems like Lynch is a scapegoat of convenience.

Last edited:
So if hcdb is the other half OC(and likely every call goes through him) are his the good calls? Lynch's the bad? I guess it seems like Lynch is a scapegoat of convenience.
If that’s the case I don’t know. Then Dino needs someone else to do it other than him and lynch. Hey if Dino is heavily involved in the calls every play then we are screwed. There is no rhythm with play calling. Things work late in games and then instead of starting with what works we do the same old crap and it’s like they forgot what worked. I don’t know the exact answer but whoever calls plays should not be calling them anymore

If that’s the case I don’t know. Then Dino needs someone else to do it other than him and lynch. Hey if Dino is heavily involved in the calls every play then we are screwed. There is no rhythm with play calling. Things work late in games and then instead of starting with what works we do the same old crap and it’s like they forgot what worked. I don’t know the exact answer but whoever calls plays should not be calling them anymore
I think the entire system is predicated on consistent play from all positions. Not great play, decent play. Without that? Here we are. If we need to mask that further? So be it, but I believe the system is designed to cover for some of that, in the first place.

4 games vs. P5, and we're missing some of the consistency the entire system is based on. To your point? Maybe they do need to step out of the proven system that earned them their jobs, here and there. Should they have to? No. They're not dumb. If they need to, they will, but they also have to build that consistency for long term success.

*Dino has been heavily involved in the calls since day 1.

I just realized that what we are seeing is a team that had the “benefit” of extra practices during last year’s bowl preparation. A lot of folks claimed that the extra practices would help the next season in terms of talent development. Looks like we were wrong.

The extra practice thing is the biggest fallacy in college football. It makes almost zero difference. I have no idea why people get caught up in that and like you I made this point a few years ago as well.

I think we all agree that we need to throw some money into PROVEN in P5 level assistants. This is different for Dino, Nd sure he has ever been in a scenario where he has to part ways with his staff. I think it’s obvious we need a new view on the OL and at QB coach IMO. If we had an elite QB coach who was a great recruiter... that’s huge. And likewise get a seasoned proven OL coach who consistently can bring in above average OL talent. It’s simple, Dino needs to look at this as a business and he needs to acquire more assets at our glaring weaknesses. I’m very curious to see how this plays out post season. If no changes are made... I think there will be some very upset fans. Myself included. No excuses anymore!

I agree with you that anyone calling for Dino to go are insane right now. But, I also think people on the extreme other end of the other spectrum who consider his seat to be ice cold are also insane.

If we go like 4-8 this year (a bowl game is still certainly possible against a manageable schedule and I'm praying we can scratch and claw to get there), next year is very important. He wasn't brought here to have 4 losing seasons in 5 years.
Excellent post - the extremes on both sides are interesting.

Here's my offense the rest of the season:
Welch at QB. RRO and go routes. That's it. Keep it simple.
I'm kidding, sort of. The threat of a running-capable QB changes things dramatically for opposing defenses.

Here's my offense the rest of the season:
Welch at QB. RRO and go routes. That's it. Keep it simple.
I'm kidding, sort of. The threat of a running-capable QB changes things dramatically for opposing defenses.

Yeah, but - now they have film.
If you don't have film, it's basically unstoppable.
But now they do.
So, it won't work anymore. :rolleyes:

Mora, the analyst during Friday night's broadcast, made a lot of accurate and flat out blunt statements IMO. One of them was how on O, SU had basically no rhyme or reason from play to play, just complete randomness in the play calling in whatever SU was attempting to do.

Seem very unlikely any school can sell Dino to their fan base after this season and what board is going to sign off on his buyout for a 3-9 coach
Gene Chizik says hi. His record was 2-10 at Iowa St. when Auburn hired him.

This play calling changed a ton when Lewis left. All there is to it. Dungey was the savior last year and improvised his way and will to win for SU. I was always fine in year 1 and 2 if they lost 47-38 because scoring points is entertaining. This type of offense right now is awful and there is no set up of playcalling for entirety of drives. There used to be so much set up with dungey and now there is none. Finding a great OC is tougher than people think but this slow nonsense isn’t “Orange is the new fast”

Mora, the analyst during Friday night's broadcast, made a lot of accurate and flat out blunt statements IMO. One of them was how on O, SU had basically no rhyme or reason from play to play, just complete randomness in the play calling in whatever SU was attempting to do.

Mora is right, there is zero rhyme or reason. We don't have an identity as we don't really go all that fast and its unclear what were trying to establish. We have some games where the playcalling is slanted more toward last year with bubble/WR screens slight hurry up and then shots downfield then next game that totally changes and were trying to run it into the line and calling for shovel passes to the TE. What happened to the jet sweeps. where are the short quick passes we used to kill teams with to Erv and others? Where are the trick and mis direction plays that teams keep running against us but all we ever try is that dumb double pass that teams have scouted to death? Dino needs to take over play calling yesterday, its one of the main reasons this ship is sinking.

This is how I used to play Xbox. It's also the way McF'it ran plays. Either way it's not a good thing for a P5 team.

For all the OMG the program is over
It takes awhile to build a program back up after the train-wreck we went through
That's take a look at the last major rebuild

1981Syracuse4–6–1
1982Syracuse2–9
1983Syracuse6–5
1984Syracuse6–5
1985Syracuse7–5L Cherry
1986Syracuse5–6

It's not all going to be smooth sailing
We are a big victim of our own success and a lot of us (myself included) thought it would be 8 plus win season despite loosing a top 3 QB in the history of the school plus most of our OLine
Changes have to be made and 2020 needs to be step back in the right direction
Anyone at this point calling for Dino to go is just insane and might want to go rake leaves for the next few seasons
Sorry to point this out but this tough stretch you are referring to here had 3 winning seasons out of 6...in a row. That shows at least some level of sustained mediocrity. We are below mediocre this year. We flat out stink. I think we will be hard pressed to get to 6 this year. So no, the rebuilds are not on equal trajectories.

Sorry to point this out but this tough stretch you are referring to here had 3 winning seasons out of 6...in a row. That shows at least some level of sustained mediocrity. We are below mediocre this year. We flat out stink. I think we will be hard pressed to get to 6 this year. So no, the rebuilds are not on equal trajectories.
The only difference is Mac had a new dome to impress recruits. We can hope the renovations, new football operations center, and upgraded assistants will have a similar effect.

I didn't say they where
Feel free to point anything out, you don't need to be sorry
My point was it's not going to be smooth sailing for awhile
That was it

I think the entire system is predicated on consistent play from all positions. Not great play, decent play. Without that? Here we are. If we need to mask that further? So be it, but I believe the system is designed to cover for some of that, in the first place.

4 games vs. P5, and we're missing some of the consistency the entire system is based on. To your point? Maybe they do need to step out of the proven system that earned them their jobs, here and there. Should they have to? No. They're not dumb. If they need to, they will, but they also have to build that consistency for long term success.

*Dino has been heavily involved in the calls since day 1.
Ok that’s something I can understand. But the only dumb thing we have done is trap up middle from day one.

The extra practice thing is the biggest fallacy in college football. It makes almost zero difference. I have no idea why people get caught up in that and like you I made this point a few years ago as well.

Maybe we are better off without the practices this year. More time to hire new assistants?

Gene Chizik says hi. His record was 2-10 at Iowa St. when Auburn hired him.
If any team is willing to pay Dinos buyout and he wants to go then he needs to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom