Something smells... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Something smells...

Give a plausible explanation then, and don't say it just worked out that way over the decades... A CEO reports to ownership, no?

In your opinion who should the Bills have drafted from SU? This year the quarterback class was mediocre (at best). If one guy stood out because of potential, like EJ Manuel did to many draft experts and to the Bills, why would you not pick him? Because your coach was his college coach? Because you are familiar with him? Nassib did an excellent job for 2 1/2 years under Doug Marrone at Syracuse. Before his senior year many fans, including most on this board, would have been thrilled for him to get drafted in the 4th round. He has a very good senior season against a middle of the road schedule and all of a sudden the local NFL team should be using their first round pick on him? I think Shamarko Thomas is a heckuva college football player. He could play for me any day, however with his style of play and history of concussions and near-concussions, he is one head-shot away from never playing football again. Doug Marrone knows this better than anyone.

I wrote it in my last post and will again here, the NFL is a business. Sure some teams end up with a hometown player, but unless it is a throwaway seventh round pick or an invite to camp as an undrafted free agent, teams aren't going to take a chance on a kid simply for the good will it will get them in the local community. Most Bills fans, including the ones who also root for SU, want to win NFL games. If former SU players help them win games, great, if not oh well. You don't win NFL games by drafting players simply on loyalty.

I bet you could look at the history of many teams and find well known colleges that have rarely or never been represented.

In your opinion who should the Bills have drafted from SU? This year the quarterback class was mediocre (at best). If one guy stood out because of potential, like EJ Manuel did to many draft experts and to the Bills, why would you not pick him? Because your coach was his college coach? Because you are familiar with him? Nassib did an excellent job for 2 1/2 years under Doug Marrone at Syracuse. Before his senior year many fans, including most on this board, would have been thrilled for him to get drafted in the 4th round. He has a very good senior season against a middle of the road schedule and all of a sudden the local NFL team should be using their first round pick on him? I think Shamarko Thomas is a heckuva college football player. He could play for me any day, however with his style of play and history of concussions and near-concussions, he is one head-shot away from never playing football again. Doug Marrone knows this better than anyone.

I wrote it in my last post and will again here, the NFL is a business. Sure some teams end up with a hometown player, but unless it is a throwaway seventh round pick or an invite to camp as an undrafted free agent, teams aren't going to take a chance on a kid simply for the good will it will get them in the local community. Most Bills fans, including the ones who also root for SU, want to win NFL games. If former SU players help them win games, great, if not oh well. You don't win NFL games by drafting players simply on loyalty.

I bet you could look at the history of many teams and find well known colleges that have rarely or never been represented.
I'm not saying Dougie should have picked our guys just because there're Cuse players... Maybe all these "experts" are idiots, but Manuel was slated for round 3. It's not like Dougie picked Andrew Luck or Cam Newton over Ryan, Manuel is all of a sudden the second coming? A safety out of Nevada that's rated well below Shamarko...
The Bills have no problem decimating our coaches, but can't take any of our players...

Serious question do you think any of the players are given inside information from the GM and Coach that they "don't like syracuse players"?

Because that's absurd. But not as absurd as claiming you and Marcellus Wiley are "friends" after you probably met him once.

Serious question do you think any of the players are given inside information from the GM and Coach that they "don't like syracuse players"?

Because that's absurd. But not as absurd as claiming you and Marcellus Wiley are "friends" after you probably met him once.
He's not my friend, never said that... I have talked to him more than once though... Smart cat, and he loves the "ladies":)

Who cares what Buffalo cares about. They are the 4th cousins of NYS state and the know it. Its the GGGGGGG-MAN, CUSE, JETS and then the JILLS!! I just don't see the fit for Ryan at the GGGGGG-MEN. Pugh was a reach too. The GGGG_MEN draft this year really isn't all that impressive. Being a huge GG-MAN fan that's scary!! Shark a Steeler is super for him too!!

Who cares what Buffalo cares about. They are the 4th cousins of NYS state and the know it. Its the GGGGGGG-MAN, CUSE, JETS and then the JILLS!! I just don't see the fit for Ryan at the GGGGGG-MEN. Pugh was a reach too. The GGGG_MEN draft this year really isn't all that impressive. Being a huge GG-MAN fan that's scary!! Shark a Steeler is super for him too!!
How many beers have you had today?

I'm not saying there is any conspiracy or there is something wrong...but it is a little odd that closest NFL team doesn't take SU players. I'm not sure where one can really go with that unless the Marcellus Wiley quote cited is true...which makes it really weird.

I'm not saying Dougie should have picked our guys just because there're Cuse players... Maybe all these "experts" are idiots, but Manuel was slated for round 3. It's not like Dougie picked Andrew Luck or Cam Newton over Ryan, Manuel is all of a sudden the second coming? A safety out of Nevada that's rated well below Shamarko...
The Bills have no problem decimating our coaches, but can't take any of our players...
The reason why there is a draft because people are rated different from person to person. If that wasn't the case, they wouldn't need to draft anyone they could just assign the players to each team. Ryan Nassib is the perfect example. I think it was McShay or Shefter that said some had him high in their boards and some had him as an undrafted free agent. To say someone is rated "well below Shamarko" is absurd. Rated by who? When it comes to making a pick, the only ratings that matter are the ones held by the team making the pick. Therefore "safety out of Neveda", otherwise known as Duke Williams, was either rated higher than Shamarko by the Bills, or they had injury concerns for Thomas (or Nancy Cantor spurned Ralph Wilson's advances and now no Orangemen can ever play for the Bills again).

The reason why there is a draft because people are rated different from person to person. If that wasn't the case, they wouldn't need to draft anyone they could just assign the players to each team. Ryan Nassib is the perfect example. I think it was McShay or Shefter that said some had him high in their boards and some had him as an undrafted free agent. To say someone is rated "well below Shamarko" is absurd. Rated by who? When it comes to making a pick, the only ratings that matter are the ones held by the team making the pick. Therefore "safety out of Neveda", otherwise known as Duke Williams, was either rated higher than Shamarko by the Bills, or they had injury concerns for Thomas (or Nancy Cantor spurned Ralph Wilson's advances and now no Orangemen can ever play for the Bills again).
Obviously people rate prospects differently... But Bills ratings for SU players consistently different from majority viewpoints...
To Ralph Wilson, Nancy Cantor is a spring chick, so this is plausible...:)

Obviously people rate prospects differently... But Bills ratings for SU players consistently different from majority viewpoints...

Bills took Manuel and Williams in the 1st and 3rd rounds, respectively, while Nassib and Shamarko both went in the 4th. It would seem that they rest of the NFL didn't view either player as being worthy of being picked in the first 3 rounds.

Maybe Marrone pulled a Jedi Mind Trick on the rest of the NFL GMs.

Bills took Manuel and Williams in the 1st and 3rd rounds, respectively, while Nassib and Shamarko both went in the 4th. It would seem that they rest of the NFL didn't view either player as being worthy of being picked in the first 3 rounds.

Not sure what you mean... 31 other franchises didn't picked Manuel and Williams in the 1st and 3rd rounds...

Not sure what you mean... 31 other franchises didn't picked Manuel and Williams in the 1st and 3rd rounds...

31 franchises didn't have the opportunity to do so.

Dig, how do you only have 140 messages in a year and a half? I'm working on 140 in the last 48hrs...:)

Give a plausible explanation then, and don't say it just worked out that way over the decades... A CEO reports to ownership, no?

I just gave you a damn plausible explanation that you are a one-man conspiracy artist. How many Oregon players have been drafted by the Giants? Zero. How many Arizona State players have played for the Jets? No one cares. Cuse alums have been in strong organizations like the Giants, Colts, Eagles, Ravens, Broncos, Panthers...and most NFL teams.

Enjoy conspiracy theories!

I just gave you a damn plausible explanation that you are a one-man conspiracy artist. How many Oregon players have been drafted by the Giants? Zero. How many Arizona State players have played for the Jets? No one cares. Cuse alums have been in strong organizations like the Giants, Colts, Eagles, Ravens, Broncos, Panthers...and most NFL teams.

Enjoy conspiracy theories!
No, it should be how many Oregon players have played for the Seahawks(although not exact, since WA and OR are rival states) or how many ASU players have made the Cardinals roster...

Tiresome reading. Who really gives a stuff if the Bills draft any SU players. In case you haven't noticed SU is in Syracuse, not Buffalo. The only reason I would expect Marrone to draft any SU player would be if he knew something about somebody no one else did. He apparently knew what everyone else did about Nassib, he was a mid-round QB. I know we like to have this whole Upstate NY and consider it a region but most people in Buffalo don't give SU or Syracuse a second thought.

Tiresome reading. Who really gives a stuff if the Bills draft any SU players. In case you haven't noticed SU is in Syracuse, not Buffalo. The only reason I would expect Marrone to draft any SU player would be if he knew something about somebody no one else did. He apparently knew what everyone else did about Nassib, he was a mid-round QB. I know we like to have this whole Upstate NY and consider it a region but most people in Buffalo don't give SU or Syracuse a second thought.
Probably right, Buffalo folk tend to look down on Syracuse... That's a theory in itself, Bills may think having fans from Syracuse is worthless anyway...

Probably right, Buffalo folk tend to look down on Syracuse... That's a theory in itself, Bills may think having fans from Syracuse is worthless anyway...
:eek: Being from Buffalo, a life long Syracuse fan and married to a woman from Syracuse this is even more surprising to hear than the notion the Bills are purposely not picking/signing Syracuse players.

Aside from maybe Notre Dame, Syracuse is the most popular college team in Buffalo. Maybe not so much for their football, but I have never heard anyone talk down on Syracuse.

:eek: Being from Buffalo, a life long Syracuse fan and married to a woman from Syracuse this is even more surprising to hear than the notion the Bills are purposely not picking/signing Syracuse players.

Aside from maybe Notre Dame, Syracuse is the most popular college team in Buffalo. Maybe not so much for their football, but I have never heard anyone talk down on Syracuse.
Well, I won't argue with you on this point, not being an Upstater... Just recall two things about Buffalo while at SU; a more than condescending indifference about Syracuse in general, and really hot coeds from Buffalo on campus...:)

Well, I won't argue with you on this point, not being an Upstater... Just recall two things about Buffalo while at SU; a more than condescending indifference about Syracuse in general, and really hot coeds from Buffalo on campus...:)
I will give you that Buffalo people are usually very proud of where they come from and could try to say it is better than a lot of places whether true or not, but I don't believe it is anything specific about Syracuse. I took some classes at Buffalo State college the last year and a half. Their colors are orange and black. You saw more Syracuse Orange on campus than you did Buffalo State colors.

I will give you that Buffalo people are usually very proud of where they come from and could try to say it is better than a lot of places whether true or not, but I don't believe it is anything specific about Syracuse. I took some classes at Buffalo State college the last year and a half. Their colors are orange and black. You saw more Syracuse Orange on campus than you did Buffalo State colors.
But I'm right about the hot Buffalo women, yes?:)

Seriously though, what would it hurt to have a few SU players on the roster even as special teamers over the years for the sake of local good will and espirit de corp?

Of course, I'm not saying the Bills should take a Cuse player just because he is from SU. Yes, I think it should be one factor in evaluating a prospect... But, there hasn't be any like that from SU over the years? Just seems fishy in my book...

That's exactly what you're saying. You're saying the Bills should spend a roster spot on a Syracuse kid, just because he's more local. And that's an absurd notion for an NFL team.

That's exactly what you're saying. You're saying the Bills should spend a roster spot on a Syracuse kid, just because he's more local. And that's an absurd notion for an NFL team.
No, not JUST because he is local... But, if two players are essentially even in quantifiables, why not choose the local kid? At least once or two a decade?
I guess if you owned a NFL franchise your ONLY concern would be between the lines; no interest in marketing your franchise, charity(United Way), or community...

No, not JUST because he is local... But, if two players are essentially even in quantifiables, why not choose the local kid? At least once or two a decade?
I guess if you owned a NFL franchise your ONLY concern would be between the lines; no interest in marketing your franchise, charity(United Way), or community...
There are plenty of ways to market your franchise to the local community, which the Bills do. Spending a roster spot on a kid because he's somewhat local is far down any list.

And even if your dream scenario were a reality, what exactly is some special teamer going to add to any marketing to the local community? The Bills have had those types of kids on their roster over the years any how (UB and local Buffalo area players). None did anything to increase interest simply because of their local ties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom