Sorry, but it is time... | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Sorry, but it is time...

I want and expect somebody with more of a track record than that.
If we hire somebody who has never been a successful NCAA head coach before, then Wildhack will have failed at his job. If there's one thing we should have learned from the football side, it's not to hire coordinators who have never done the head coaching gig before. Organizing a program is much differernt from being just one of the coaches. The administrative and media parts of the job are not something I want some guy to try to learn on the job. This is a big time job. Get a big time (within reason) coach.

My list - taking into account that some (or nearly all) of these guys have jobs - would include these candidates.

Buzz Williams - seems to love the Orange, has terrific experience
Mark Schmidt - St. Bonaventure
Archie Miller (yes, he just started at Indiana, but JB won't be leaving for another 3 years)
Chris Collins if he doesn't get the Duke job when K retires
Sean Miller, when he is fired from Arizona. The guy can recruit and his teams are fun to watch.
Greg Marshall is getting a little old and is currently making over $3M, but he might be a Dino type of hire who might like a shot at the big time to finish his career.
King Rice - doing some nice things at Monmouth, although it has taken him a while to get it going
Mark Turgeon - terrific recruiter, not such a great game coach.

He could have gotten the George Mason or Georgia Tech jobs. I am just thinking outside of the box.
I mean another guy I like is Providence's Ed Cooley. Doubt he would leave but he has gotten the Friars to the NCAAT 6 years in a row. For that program that is insane. He can coach and recruit.

Why do you doubt that he would leave? PC has been a stepping stone school since the 1980s. Cooley is a Rhode Island guy but no clear emotional link to PC. We can pay way more, we play on a much bigger stage, and he can legitimately compete for championships here.

I think virtually any G5 school coach is in play, as are a good number of P5 schools.

If we hire somebody who has never been a successful NCAA head coach before, then Wildhack will have failed at his job. If there's one thing we should have learned from the football side, it's not to hire coordinators who have never done the head coaching gig before. Organizing a program is much differernt from being just one of the coaches. The administrative and media parts of the job are not something I want some guy to try to learn on the job. This is a big time job. Get a big time (within reason) coach.

My list - taking into account that some (or nearly all) of these guys have jobs - would include these candidates.

Archie Miller (yes, he just started at Indiana, but JB won't be leaving for another 3 years)
Sean Miller, when he is fired from Arizona. The guy can recruit and his teams are fun to watch.
Greg Marshall is getting a little old and is currently making over $3M, but he might be a Dino type of hire who might like a shot at the big time to finish his career.
King Rice - doing some nice things at Monmouth, although it has taken him a while to get it going

I like Buzz alot. I'd like to see someone with a grasp of advanced stats as HC.

Seriously. He coached those losses. Did he forget that part? Celebrate the wins(*), blame others for the losses? Not really his MO but that is a strange statement.
He was managing expectations and defending the players. The question was explaining why they are underachieving and he basically said we should be better than we are but we have everyone back from a team that lost 14 games and have players who were hurt. His point was we don’t have everyone back from a team that won 28 games.

Why do you doubt that he would leave? PC has been a stepping stone school since the 1980s. Cooley is a Rhode Island guy but no clear emotional link to PC. We can pay way more, we play on a much bigger stage, and he can legitimately compete for championships here.

I think virtually any G5 school coach is in play, as are a good number of P5 schools.
I don't think SU will pay what it will take to get Cooley away from PC.
Basketball is all PC has and they pay him a lot. Syracuse isn't going to give him 4 million dollars a year to replace JB who has taken hair cuts for life.
We will need to pay market rate but I don't see Cooley leaving for SU.

i've accepted that for a long time. it's the price you pay for for decades of success and stability. now is the time you need that coach in waiting.

Coach in waiting is a terrible idea.
Send JB off with Buddy on Senior Night.
Start the process before the season starts, so that you have time to reach out to agents and conduct a porper national search.

hate buzz curley shuffle williams. hate the millers since pitt days. hate marshall and his wichita dodgeball tourney strategy. played against king rice and he left local to attend unc. that narrows down that list . but i suppose liking the head coach isn't prerequisite.
been doing it for years. so long as we return to being a fearsome powerhouse.

He was managing expectations and defending the players. The question was explaining why they are underachieving and he basically said we should be better than we are but we have everyone back from a team that lost 14 games and have players who were hurt. His point was we don’t have everyone back from a team that won 28 games.

Well he's the goddamn coach. Can't you make any of your players better?

I don't think SU will pay what it will take to get Cooley away from PC.
Basketball is all PC has and they pay him a lot. Syracuse isn't going to give him 4 million dollars a year to replace JB who has taken hair cuts for life.
We will need to pay market rate but I don't see Cooley leaving for SU.

I don't want Cooley. He hasn't really done anything at Providence except recruit some good players, but not enough of them, and is basically treading water.

I like Mike Hopkins more than any one of those guys. I would prefer Red over all of them too

Oh sure, throw context at me. Where's the fun in that?

Well he's the goddamn coach. Can't you make any of your players better?

There is plenty of blame to go around. I was just explaining the context of the quote from the presser. I don’t think Boeheim thinks he has no blame in it.

the "we sucked last year and still suck" component of that presser is sad to say the least.

We are exactly 0.500 in ACC games over the last 4 seasons (technically below 0.500 if you include ACC tourney games). That’s pretty much the definition of mid-level, not upper level.

He's talking about the program as a whole, not our statistical performance.

Having even 22,000 average attendance and the Dome and playing in the ACC make this a desirable job where the right person could have a ton of success.

I'm pretty sure that's what he was talking about, in terms of us being "an upper level ACC team".

the "we sucked last year and still suck" component of that presser is sad to say the least.

It something the coach should NEVER say!

our ACC tourney performances are a down right stain on the program as a whole.

What if the Orange goes on a winning streak? Are all of you naysayers going to slink into the shadows. I'll lay it on the line right now, this team is going to bounce and finish near the top of the ACC.

It's been five years since we had a team that could finish near the top of the ACC.

Last March, according to you, JB was a great coach.

Now, in the space of 12 games, he has gone from great to over the hill.

Please explain to me how that happens so quickly.

Last season's Sweet 16 was a mirage, just like the Final Four a few years earlier.
Those teams were clearly flawed. It was only the defense that created that success.
And once teams get experience playing against the zone, it is less intimidating. It's built for the NCAAs.

You put that in quotes. He didn’t actually say that. Are you quoting yourself?
well that's paraphrased but exactly to the meat of his comments. you heard it.
and something no coach should ever say to an open mic. save it for the locker room.

I’m surprised you’re one of the people who thinks teaching/playing our zone is simpler than m2m.

I agree that players have to pick up the slides and know where the other team's shots are going to come from, but a bunch of freshmen and sophomores won the championship in 2003 playing the zone, so it's not like you're learning calculus.

My real point here is that playing the zone simplifies things from a coaching and player perspective.
It takes away the things the other team usually does on offense, while your guys have the same assignment almost regardless of who the opposition is. You make them play YOUR way. The opponent has to adjust to you. You just have to know who the shooters are.

I like Mike Hopkins more than any one of those guys. I would prefer Red over all of them too

Mike's not coming back. We treated him horribly.

What has Buzz done? Cooley has gotten little old Providence College to the NCAAT 6 years in a row. That is freaking good.

Buzz had an excellent run at Marquette, where he made 5 NCAAs in a row and won the Big East.
Then he turned Virginia Tech - an awful program that plays in a terrible gymnasium - into a regular 20 game winner who is currently 10-1.

Basically the last 4 years we have been an also ran team in the ACC, we look to be the same this year. We used to compete for Conference Regular season and season ending Tournament Championships. Now its ok to be a middle of the pack team? That wasn't acceptable when we were in the Big East and shouldn't be acceptable now. The coach is the one responsible, and that is JB, if he can't win then he needs to be gone. I have followed this team since Guley was the coach, and he stayed long enough to lose 26 games in a row. This bad trend needs to stop now.
t

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom