Sorry, I've been traveling, but one quick point... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Sorry, I've been traveling, but one quick point...

Babers was always Coyle's first choice, but wouldn't talk until after the MAC Championship. There could have been other preliminary conversations, but Babers was going to get the first offer. At least that's how I understand it.

I've heard this from a few good sources.
Coyle wanted Scott Frost. It was from his Boise State days. Frost wanted a low buyout and short contract and it went nowhere. He was option 1. I can believe Babers was 2 but it appeared like Ash was option 2 but he backed away.

This board has advocated for every coach in the past decade to get a long extension every year.

I'm with IB, if Dino can't fix things here then we might just need to concede that SU football is going to be a perennial also-ran. But I think it's OK if we wait at least a year to sign the guy through 2026.

Coyle wanted Scott Frost. It was from his Boise State days. Frost wanted a low buyout and short contract and it went nowhere. He was option 1. I can believe Babers was 2 but it appeared like Ash was option 2 but he backed away.

I think that was the board narrative, myself included.

That's not how things actually played out. Again, based on what I heard after the fact.

Since he's no longer here I feel free to talk about it. Frost was never offered because he told Coyle that he would be on the first plane out to Nebraska. They apparently both laughed at the news reports. Babers was always #1. This is from Coyle's mouth.

I think that was the board narrative, myself included.

That's not how things actually played out. Again, based on what I heard after the fact.
I am okay with if Frost was the first option or Dino was. We got the absolute best hire we could have asked for.
Dino Babers is the best thing to happen to SU FB in years.

He gives legit reason for optimism. So giving him more money makes sense.

This board has advocated for every coach in the past decade to get a long extension every year.

I'm with IB, if Dino can't fix things here then we might just need to concede that SU football is going to be a perennial also-ran. But I think it's OK if we wait at least a year to sign the guy through 2026.

Marrone would be our last hope. I think with a renovated Dome, new IPF, ACC affliction, and greater financial commitment to football he would consider it. Especially if he is stuck being an OL coach in the NFL. It isn't likely but there is a small hope. Otherwise we need to just collect checks from the ACC. Embrace the lovable losers.

Oh, you've been 'traveling'? We see how it is. You think you're better than us? You can stuff your 'sorry' where the sun don't shine, mister.

Agreed, however my approach would be this - Compensate his assistants fairly, renovate the Dome ASAP and do whatever it takes to fix this $h1tty, $h1tty fan base. Give him the support he deserves and listen to what his needs are and you make it very difficult for him to leave.

Most importantly, if he feels that he can win here, he will stay IMO.
Completely agree, I trust this happens as an alum

Marrone would be our last hope. I think with a renovated Dome, new IPF, ACC affliction, and greater financial commitment to football he would consider it. Especially if he is stuck being an OL coach in the NFL. It isn't likely but there is a small hope. Otherwise we need to just collect checks from the ACC. Embrace the lovable losers.

We could find another Marrone. I'm aiming higher, so is Dino.

Since he's no longer here I feel free to talk about it. Frost was never offered because he told Coyle that he would be on the first plane out to Nebraska. They apparently both laughed at the news reports. Babers was always #1. This is from Coyle's mouth.

Coyle said to me he never offered Frost but that doesn't mean he didn't want him. It is my understanding that Coyle did not recruit Babers as he didn't think that SU wouldn't pony up the $2.4 million base pay that he required. It is also my understanding that Herm Frazier broke down the doors - both internally at SU and externally through his contacts - to get Babers to consider coming here where Coyle did not even try to recruit him.

That's partly why (my speculation only) that Herm was given a promotion knowing that Syverud wanted Wildhack since the beginning even before Coyle. Herm is going to run operations (Herm's strength) why Wildhack works the big picture in terms of media, deals, relations (Wildhack's strengths).

I told them it's simple math - as Babers brings the fan base back, all of the extra $$$ needs to be plowed back into football (salaries & such) and not spent on Olympic sports. All I got out of Wildhack and Syverud was a smile and I think they are preparing to not let Babers leave without a fight.

Babers was always Coyle's first choice, but wouldn't talk until after the MAC Championship. There could have been other preliminary conversations, but Babers was going to get the first offer. At least that's how I understand it.

I've heard this from a few good sources.

yep, have heard the same thing. I was just illustrating how the SU job is viewed by coaches out there (by slamming Rutgers at the same time!). Fortunately Dino didn't agree.

yep, have heard the same thing. I was just illustrating how the SU job is viewed by coaches out there (by slamming Rutgers at the same time!). Fortunately Dino didn't agree.

no offense to coaches but they aren't the most forward looking intellects out there. Syracuse is a program that can be successful. Nothing in our past can prevent us from getting back to peak performance again. Now that we have the guy who can coach us to that level let's pray he A) stays and B) isn't seduced by programs that are temporarily higher than us.

I heard similar, but Babers was the only legit candidate all along. Glad he was.

Coyle said to me he never offered Frost but that doesn't mean he didn't want him. It is my understanding that Coyle did not recruit Babers as he didn't think that SU wouldn't pony up the $2.4 million base pay that he required. It is also my understanding that Herm Frazier broke down the doors - both internally at SU and externally through his contacts - to get Babers to consider coming here where Coyle did not even try to recruit him.

That's partly why (my speculation only) that Herm was given a promotion knowing that Syverud wanted Wildhack since the beginning even before Coyle. Herm is going to run operations (Herm's strength) why Wildhack works the big picture in terms of media, deals, relations (Wildhack's strengths).

I told them it's simple math - as Babers brings the fan base back, all of the extra $$$ needs to be plowed back into football (salaries & such) and not spent on Olympic sports. All I got out of Wildhack and Syverud was a smile and I think they are preparing to not let Babers leave without a fight.

Makes complete sense. Thanks for sharing.

I would rather watch a perennial loser than another Marrone coached football team... between the Bills and Orange (the only two teams I support) Morrone sucks all of the fun out of football. He also has zero idea how to coach in the modern college football game. The more I look back on his time the more I realize he got lucky that Nassib and Pugh turned out to be as good as they were and GROB left enough parts in Hogue and Derell Smith to form the core of a halfway decent D that one year. The guy was a total a$$ the way he left both of my teams... good riddance.

I would rather watch a perennial loser than another Marrone coached football team... between the Bills and Orange (the only two teams I support) Morrone sucks all of the fun out of football. He also has zero idea how to coach in the modern college football game. The more I look back on his time the more I realize he got lucky that Nassib and Pugh turned out to be as good as they were and GROB left enough parts in Hogue and Derell Smith to form the core of a halfway decent D that one year. The guy was a total a$$ the way he left both of my teams... good riddance.

forget your meds?

Marrone is a very good coach, there is no debating that. I mean, c'mon. Just look at what he did in his 2nd season with a batch of misfits.

Marrone hated recruiting and having to "baby" the kids. You can call him on those things, but please don't critique his coaching and game preparation skills.

Marrone is a very good coach, there is no debating that. I mean, c'mon. Just look at what he did in his 2nd season with a batch of misfits.

Marrone hated recruiting and having to "baby" the kids. You can call him on those things, but please don't critique his coaching and game preparation skills.

Not saying you're wrong about his quality as a HC, but that year's schedule was as soft as we've had in a very long time.

I heard an interview this morning, I think it was with Nate Mink, who said that Babers had said before he was hired here that at his age, he wanted to go to a program that could win a national championship. At first I thought that might be praising us but did he mean us?

Jake Crouthamel used to extend Coach mac's contract after every winning year so he didn't have to make a decision on him after a losing year.

I heard an interview this morning, I think it was with Nate Mink, who said that Babers had said before he was hired here that at his age, he wanted to go to a program that could win a national championship. At first I thought that might be praising us but did he mean us?

Jake Crouthamel used to extend Coach mac's contract after every winning year so he didn't have to make a decision on him after a losing year.

He's said that's the goal here in prior interviews. He believes it's possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom