Sorry, I've been traveling, but one quick point... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Sorry, I've been traveling, but one quick point...

If I remember McFit's problems wasn't gaining yards, we gained quite a few. It was the complete lack of ideas about what to do inside the 20.

His first problem was showing up. That guy was utterly worthless and a little brat behind the scenes.

His first problem was showing up. That guy was utterly worthless and a little brat behind the scenes.

Disastrous hire--hated it at the time. The peter principle suggested that there was a reason that he was a career position coach, and there was.

We didn't even benefit from the ostensible recruiting prowess that many of us were hoping for [the compromise to taking a generally inexperienced OC].

Last edited:
We have no clue what type of underclassmen those teams would have had. We do know what type of upperclassmen we had. Hunt wasn't Marrone's type of QB, so does he start Hunt? Or does he go with Wilson or Allen? Does Hunt get hurt if he starts? Marrone would have used PTG correctly but there was no 2nd RB that year. Ishmail and Estime aren't there. Does Broyld get kicked off? We would have no WRs or TEs.

I think we beat Nova and CMU. MD got a big lead because of the D and just sat back the rest of the game. Maybe with Marrone we come back, but not likely IMO. We were outclassed by ND. Louisville's D shut us down and their O did enough to win. I think with Marrone we have a better shot at winning but still lose. FSU was too good. We still beat Wake and still lose to Clemson. NC State and Duke we had no OLmen or QBs due to injury. Assuming those OLmen are hurt under Marrone, we likely lose those games as well (maybe we win one). Pitt and BC would have been closer under Marrone but we had nothing left against those guys. The D couldn't stop either team and the O didn't have the talent to score.

The problem with 2014 was O talent and injuries, followed by poor coaching. The talent doesn't change much with Marrone. I think we have a better chance to win those games and come closer in our Ls. We certainly would be a better team but IMO it wouldn't have been reflected in the record.

Or maybe Curtis Samuel is running wild in the Dome...you can't play that if game. Works with ways.

edge-of-forever.jpg

Let's all jump through the "Guardian of Forever" and find out what would have happened if Marrone had stayed. Or wait and see what happens with Babers.

Or maybe Curtis Samuel is running wild in the Dome...you can't play that if game. Works with ways.

Side note: that kid in this current offense would be absurd.

We will get there some day.

Actually, the "fans booing McNabb" was really nothing more than a radio stunt perpetrated by longtime WIP Sports Radio morning man, Angelo Cataldi.

It was Angelo who insisted that the Birds draft Williams.

He led a small contingency up to NYC to boo the pick.

So, I don't think you can say that the Philadelphia fans booed Donovan - that' s not accurate.

And it is not only a number of fans who feel that Chip was a failure - most of the local media, including knowledgeable/fair journalists such as Hall of Fame writer Ray Didinger, agree that Chip's approach was flawed.

Much of the criticism that Didinger and others had was the impact Chip's tempo had on the Eagles defense. Just today, there was discussion over how the 2016 defense has been allowed to play far fewer snaps than the 2015 defense. The conventional wisdom here is that the Chip tempo really hurt the Eagles defense.

They also booed him when after being traded to the Redskins Donovan showed up to play the Eagles in Philly. Again its a rather sad fanbase ... and has been so for a looonnggg time. We are talking about folks who snowballed Santa Clause ... really?

They also booed him when after being traded to the Redskins Donovan showed up to play the Eagles in Philly. Again its a rather sad fanbase ... and has been so for a looonnggg time. We are talking about folks who snowballed Santa Clause ... really?

Again, I'm not sure you really know all of the facts. I think you're repeating more legend than fact.

I recall the day McNabb came back as a Redskin - he was not booed.

Quite the contrary. When he came back to Linc with Washington that day, he received a standing ovation from the fans.

I was at Citizens Bank Park this summer when Chase Utley returned for the first time. After receiving a standing ovation when he first came to bat, he was given two curtain calls after hitting HRs against the Phillies. That is pretty unheard of for an opposing player.

And, I was present when Kimo Tinonen, a former Philadelphia Flyer, returned to the Wells Fargo Center with the Chicago Blackhawks, and received a very emotional standing ovation for two minutes while he skated around the rink and waved to the crowd. Again, pretty unheard of stuff.

The snowball incident with the guy dressed as Santa Claus happened at Franklin Field around fifty years ago.

So, I don't think your presumptions regarding Philly fans are accurate.

The general feeling in Philadelphia, with the fans, the media and most important, team management, is that Chip Kelly was a failure with the Eagles.

He traded or gave away tremendous talent - Jackson, McCoy, MacLin, Evan Mathis - for silly reasons. He tried to engineer a trade for Marcus Mariotta that backfired - he found himself with a QB - Bradford - who was not at all the right kind of QB for his system. He signed a CB, Byron Maxwell, for huge money, who turned out to be ill-equipped to play in his defensive system. He traded for a still injured middle LB - Kiko Alonzo - who was useless last year. He ran an offensive system that caused his defense to be on the field for the equivalent of two or three extra games last year.

And, he apparently alienated the entire Eagles front office.

I think that if you ask most Eagles fans in this town, they will tell you what I have told you.

Again, I'm not sure you really know all of the facts. I think you're repeating more legend than fact.

I recall the day McNabb came back as a Redskin - he was not booed.

Quite the contrary. When he came back to Linc with Washington that day, he received a standing ovation from the fans.

I was at Citizens Bank Park this summer when Chase Utley returned for the first time. After receiving a standing ovation when he first came to bat, he was given two curtain calls after hitting HRs against the Phillies. That is pretty unheard of for an opposing player.

And, I was present when Kimo Tinonen, a former Philadelphia Flyer, returned to the Wells Fargo Center with the Chicago Blackhawks, and received a very emotional standing ovation for two minutes while he skated around the rink and waved to the crowd. Again, pretty unheard of stuff.

The snowball incident with the guy dressed as Santa Claus happened at Franklin Field around fifty years ago.

So, I don't think your presumptions regarding Philly fans are accurate.

The general feeling in Philadelphia, with the fans, the media and most important, team management, is that Chip Kelly was a failure with the Eagles.

He traded or gave away tremendous talent - Jackson, McCoy, MacLin, Evan Mathis - for silly reasons. He tried to engineer a trade for Marcus Mariotta that backfired - he found himself with a QB - Bradford - who was not at all the right kind of QB for his system. He signed a CB, Byron Maxwell, for huge money, who turned out to be ill-equipped to play in his defensive system. He traded for a still injured middle LB - Kiko Alonzo - who was useless last year. He ran an offensive system that caused his defense to be on the field for the equivalent of two or three extra games last year.

And, he apparently alienated the entire Eagles front office.

I think that if you ask most Eagles fans in this town, they will tell you what I have told you.

Yep the LA times just made it up.

Philly fans boo Donovan McNabb a little and Eagles a lot in 17-12 loss to Redskins

Seriously I'm done talking about it ... I've been to Philly and seen games there ... that was the only experience I needed.

Yep the LA times just made it up.

Philly fans boo Donovan McNabb a little and Eagles a lot in 17-12 loss to Redskins

Seriously I'm done talking about it ... I've been to Philly and seen games there ... that was the only experience I needed.

I can't open your link but that is not what I recall or what was reported around here:

PHILADELPHIA -- Donovan McNabb tried to play it all down. In the end, after he made himself right at home in Philadelphia, it became clear this was not just another road trip.

McNabb drew a standing ovation from the fans of his former team when he was introduced Sunday before the
Washington Redskins' game at the Linc. Those fans must be wishing he still wore Eagles green after he led Washington to a 17-12 victory.

In the locker room, he told teammates, "this right here defines team. And this is something we can feed off of going into the rest of the season. We are No. 1 in the NFC East, and we're going to stay up there.

"Everybody makes mistakes in their lifetime, and they made one last year. So, thank you."

Listen, I'm not the brightest bulb, but I have lived here for more than 30 years. I have actually been to the events that I have described, and have seen for myself. And, there are a few other things about my professional life - that I can't disclose on this board but will disclose to you privately - that afford me some decent insight.

The stuff about Chip Kelly is pretty much accepted in the Delaware Valley.

I can't open your link but that is not what I recall or what was reported around here:

PHILADELPHIA -- Donovan McNabb tried to play it all down. In the end, after he made himself right at home in Philadelphia, it became clear this was not just another road trip.

McNabb drew a standing ovation from the fans of his former team when he was introduced Sunday before the
Washington Redskins' game at the Linc. Those fans must be wishing he still wore Eagles green after he led Washington to a 17-12 victory.

In the locker room, he told teammates, "this right here defines team. And this is something we can feed off of going into the rest of the season. We are No. 1 in the NFC East, and we're going to stay up there.

"Everybody makes mistakes in their lifetime, and they made one last year. So, thank you."

Listen, I'm not the brightest bulb, but I have lived here for more than 30 years. I have actually been to the events that I have described, and have seen for myself. And, there are a few other things about my professional life - that I can't disclose on this board but will disclose to you privately - that afford me some decent insight.

The stuff about Chip Kelly is pretty much accepted in the Delaware Valley.

Again done talking about it. The perception of the fan base outside of those from Philly speaks volumes. Feel free to carry on your day to day activities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom