Special team changes | Syracusefan.com

Special team changes

I don't have any better suggestions, but neither of these two guys, from what I've seen of their play elsewhere, excite me in these return roles. I'll continue hoping our returners just don't screw anything up until proven wrong.

Desir to return punts.

Gulley to be the KO deep man.

Desir - eh, he's been doing it, just catch the ball. Haven't seen the quick feet from him either, but due to a lot of factors (blocking, no one explosive enough to return them), I'm chalking up our punt return game as us putting a guy back there because we don't want a bouncing football to pin us deeper.

Gulley - don't get it. Rene actually hasn't been bad returning kicks, as long as he's not pretending it's a CFL-wide field when he catches the ball. Gulley isn't a north and south kind of runner, he's a dancer. Last thing we need on KO returns. I'd rather see Smith to be honest.

I assume Clark is either considered too small to be a return guy (i.e. he'd get killed and fumble), or they have no confidence in his ability to catch a punt?

Gulley isn't a north and south kind of runner, he's a dancer. Last thing we need on KO returns.

We'll get a clip called on a kickoff return Friday.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Does anyone actually think these changes will change anything? Anyone?

Is it Rene's fault that 3 guys are in his face EVERY time he catches a punt? Will having Desir and Gulley back there change the fact that every time a "return" is set up 3 guys from the opposing team are right in the "returner's" face? Maybe they can stare down the opponent better?

Honestly, it changes nothing. It's a band-aid (and not even a good one at that) for a systemic problem on kick returns. I like Marrone but I'm not falling for this one. It only shows Marrone is searching for something, anything, on special teams and he doesn't have the answer yet.

We'll get a clip called on a kickoff return Friday.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

after we take it to the house for the first time all year. Our luck holds.

after we take it to the house for the first time all year. Our luck holds.

If it makes you feel better, Gulley will get caught from behind. He doesn't have the speed to break away, unless we're playing Stony Brook.

Was hoping to hear Kobena's name, but I guess they think it's risky to put him on KO returns. Hopefully we see him at WR.

Does anyone actually think these changes will change anything? Anyone?

Is it Rene's fault that 3 guys are in his face EVERY time he catches a punt? Will having Desir and Gulley back there change the fact that every time a "return" is set up 3 guys from the opposing team are right in the "returner's" face? Maybe they can stare down the opponent better?

Honestly, it changes nothing. It's a band-aid (and not even a good one at that) for a systemic problem on kick returns. I like Marrone but I'm not falling for this one. It only shows Marrone is searching for something, anything, on special teams and he doesn't have the answer yet.

what would you suggest?

Oh, so I shouldn't post my opinion because I'm not a coach? Are you a coach? Is everyone on this forum a coach? If they are, I'll get off. And I'm not wrong about this.

But if you want a suggestion, here's one: hire a special teams coach.

I actually thought Rene did a pretty good job on kick returns last week. Gulley was pretty solid there as a true frosh.

As for punt returns, the issue with Rene has been his penchant for improvising against the called return. We had a lot of blocks set up last week and he ran the opposite way rather than trusting his blocking. That hasn't always been the case, and I'm being kind when I write that. However, last week we doubled the return side gunner and he ran away from it.

I actually thought Rene did a pretty good job on kick returns last week. Gulley was pretty solid there as a true frosh.

As for punt returns, the issue with Rene has been his penchant for improvising against the called return. We had a lot of blocks set up last week and he ran the opposite way rather than trusting his blocking. That hasn't always been the case, and I'm being kind when I write that. However, last week we doubled the return side gunner and he ran away from it.

Good point, he did seem to actually have some time to return the punt this week much more then I have ever seen. Honestly he seemed almost surprised that he actually had some room to run.

Good point, he did seem to actually have some time to return the punt this week much more then I have ever seen. Honestly he seemed almost surprised that he actually had some room to run.

Now, when we see that more often, then we'll know we're on to something.

Aside from Rene trying to field two kickoffs out of bounds this year I think he's done a decent job there and looked solid last weekend.

But I don't mind trying Gulley to get a spark.

As for the punt returns, Desir has looked fearless back there and might be able to make something happen. Just hope that being fearless and trying to make something happen doesn't end up being disastrous.

We're at a point where any change will give fans some hope for a better future.

I don't have a suggestion. I'm not a coach. But I know that's not the answer.

Is it not an improvement? Rene has shown poor decision making back there. Will replacing him make us all of a sudden have big returns? No. But it will limit the negative plays and that is an improvement.

KOR's don't need to take one to the house each time. If PTG can get to the 30 consistently, plus a few more to the 40, that's huge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom