Spring Football starts March 30 | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Spring Football starts March 30

Fair enough and I appreciate it.

Again, this vastly overgeneralized and my observations could likely be wrong, but sometimes it appears like we run two specific offensive sets. In both, we value being able to run up the middle.

It seems we start most games going 4 wide, or 3 wide with a TE and the objective is to spread things out and get a light box, and we try to gain yards up the middle against that box.

When it fails... we switch to a bigger set with Elmore at FB (or a TE set back a little from the line) and a TE, accepting a more crowded box, but hoping that by running behind Elmore we can now effectively run up the middle. It seems like the top priority when Elmore is in to see if we can run up the middle effectively whereas the other offensive set brings a bit more variety to the play calling.
I agree with your observation. I’m sure they are making a effort to run a lot of inside zone and gap plays when Elmore is in there. He is one of the better blockers. So it makes sense. You attack teams in different ways. I can also say, the other sets can limit your ability to run certain run plays. Especially if you are a good running team. It’s whatever you are best at. Whatever advantage you have against that particular defensive team. They won’t run as many 2 back sets if they feel they can get better looks in the pass game vs a particular opponent. It’s also situational. We are a better offense inside the 10 when Elmore or other TE’s are in. The field is shortened and there is less grass to defend. So it’s better to have personnel packages suitable for that situation.

Give me 9 olinemen on the field with the QB and RB. If they load the box with beef, let Tucker out run them to the edge. If they stay light, road grade them.

Fair enough and I appreciate it.

Again, this vastly overgeneralized and my observations could likely be wrong, but sometimes it appears like we run two specific offensive sets. In both, we value being able to run up the middle.

It seems we start most games going 4 wide, or 3 wide with a TE and the objective is to spread things out and get a light box, and we try to gain yards up the middle against that box.

When it fails... we switch to a bigger set with Elmore at FB (or a TE set back a little from the line) and a TE, accepting a more crowded box, but hoping that by running behind Elmore we can now effectively run up the middle. It seems like the top priority when Elmore is in to see if we can run up the middle effectively whereas the other offensive set brings a bit more variety to the play calling.

To me, not to sound negative, is that Elmore lacks the true explosiveness to drive the pile. He doesn't hit the line hard enough to move it at least half the time. You need a guy with reckless abandon to hit that hole to try to make an opening against the defense,

Lol as he gets beat in the still image
I was wondering the same, but I don't know the drill. Also curious if he was lined up at RT. I think he's a decent tackle. 2019 was an abomination in terms of blitz pickup. Some woes that were attributed to our tackles, may have resided with the Gs, and a complete lack of understanding as to what they were supposed to do as a unit. Certainly seemed that way.

Looks like Bergeron may get beaten to the left? Not sure, but it may be Bleich in the other pic. Prefer them all lower, but the arm length advantage is clear for Bleich? And his man is squared up. (Good). If they're taking reps at a position, he's LG, pwo kisslstein C, Ilaoa RG.

While analyzing still frames may be completely silly... I sincerely miss our 3 man Oklahoma vids. Its not fall, or spring practice, until we watch the big guys square off with violence.

C'mon Dino. Its been 2 years since we watched a practice rep. Can we pretty please see some football ?

I was wondering the same, but I don't know the drill. Also curious if he was lined up at RT. I think he's a decent tackle. 2019 was an abomination in terms of blitz pickup. Some woes that were attributed to our tackles, may have resided with the Gs, and a complete lack of understanding as to what they were supposed to do as a unit. Certainly seemed that way.

Looks like Bergeron may get beaten to the left? Not sure, but it may be Bleich in the other pic. Prefer them all lower, but the arm length advantage is clear for Bleich? And his man is squared up. (Good). If they're taking reps at a position, he's LG, pwo kisslstein C, Ilaoa RG.

While analyzing still frames may be completely silly... I sincerely miss our 3 man Oklahoma vids. Its not fall, or spring practice, until we watch the big guys square off with violence.

C'mon Dino. Its been 2 years since we watched a practice rep. Can we pretty please see some football ?
I agree this is a silly thing to do but the balance tells all

Put Josh Hough (6-3, 240) in there with Sean Tucker (5-10, 205). Hough isn't just a lead blocker, he's a Larry Csonka type of RB who can get those short yardage first downs for us. But he can also open a hole for Tucker.

You can run triple option with a backfield like that - Hough up the middle, option the defensive end with the option to toss to Tucker around the end, or the QB cuts it inside. This would probably be better for when we have the Mississippi State kid in there.
Listen, I'm all for "the best man plays". But it probably makes more sense to use RBs that have blocking experience at the college level. I'm trusting Elmore more to get a yard or block for a RB to get a yard than a kid we've seen nothing but highlight tapes for.

Hough has been playing against kids half his size and now he's playing against 5th and 6th year senior LBs & DLs. We really need to lower the expectations. He's not even on campus yet!

Well, if you can't execute the screen pass adequately, the other way to slow down a big pass rush is to slip the tight end into the spot right behind where the linebacker was and hit him with a quick pass. Linemen don't have to hold their blocks quite as long, and then you have a big TE matched up with a safety.
The OL was so broken, ain’t none of that was super effecient. I trust the staff to do all kinds of things to move the ball - if - the OL can be better.

I’m bullish

Listen, I'm all for "the best man plays". But it probably makes more sense to use RBs that have blocking experience at the college level. I'm trusting Elmore more to get a yard or block for a RB to get a yard than a kid we've seen nothing but highlight tapes for.

Hough has been playing against kids half his size and now he's playing against 5th and 6th year senior LBs & DLs. We really need to lower the expectations. He's not even on campus yet!

I don't think Elmore was that effective, personally. He just adds to the pile-up at the line of scrimmage. Unless there's already a bit of a hole there, he seldom moves the line. I don't find him to be explosive enough at the point of contact to outweigh the predictability of where the ball is going.

I don't think Elmore was that effective, personally. He just adds to the pile-up at the line of scrimmage. Unless there's already a bit of a hole there, he seldom moves the line. I don't find him to be explosive enough at the point of contact to outweigh the predictability of where the ball is going.

I often thought the same, and it was indeed true, at times.

However - I also noted that in the ND game last year, where he no longer had to play OG, that he provided THE KEY BLOCK for each of the LONG TD runs we had in that game.

Neither play happens if he doesn't blow a dude up in the hole.

Uh, that sounds like something Chip & Millhouse pay extra for. :p

Regardless of how effective you think he is, I think we can say pretty definitively that he'll be more effective than a true freshman that isn't on campus yet.

And Elmore was extremely effective in the 10-3 season, including a few short yardage TD runs. When the OL could no longer open holes and we couldn't gain 1-2 yards the last two years his effectiveness understandably dropped.

And Elmore was extremely effective in the 10-3 season, including a few short yardage TD runs. When the OL could no longer open holes and we couldn't gain 1-2 yards the last two years his effectiveness understandably dropped.
Dungey clips from 2018. He runs for TDs behind Rhino at 1:53 and 2:38, and Elmore was present as a blocker in many of these clips.

Regardless of how effective you think he is, I think we can say pretty definitively that he'll be more effective than a true freshman that isn't on campus yet.

That's right. Elmore contributed to the pile up when the OL couldn't open holes.

IF the OL can open holes, then Elmore will have a full head of steam getting to LBs or to the second level secondary defenders, which is where his size can do damage as a lead blocker.

I often thought the same, and it was indeed true, at times.

However - I also noted that in the ND game last year, where he no longer had to play OG, that he provided THE KEY BLOCK for each of the LONG TD runs we had in that game.

Neither play happens if he doesn't blow a dude up in the hole.

Uh, that sounds like something Chip & Millhouse pay extra for. :p

Oh, sure, it worked a few times for really big plays.

My recollections are that he's best when there's a bit of a hole that he can blow open, or taking out the second guy.

Goal line situations, or 1 yard for a first down, not so much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom