Spring Football starts March 30 | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Spring Football starts March 30

I don't think Elmore was that effective, personally. He just adds to the pile-up at the line of scrimmage. Unless there's already a bit of a hole there, he seldom moves the line. I don't find him to be explosive enough at the point of contact to outweigh the predictability of where the ball is going.
But you like us in 10 personnel? Our receivers blocking has been worse the last couple years. We havent been able to run perimeter screens because of it. The staff was very frustrated with Nykeim blocking along with others. You are having a recency bias. Go watch the 2018 season. The line was bad in 2019 and he had to play D line at times. Couldnt fully commit to the FB position. Then in 2020 he had to play the line all season. He's finally back to the position he plays and hopefully he has a competent line in front of him. Its the line that lacks explosiveness and is predictable. If the line is ineffective then he can't do his job as well.

Last edited:
Listen, I'm all for "the best man plays". But it probably makes more sense to use RBs that have blocking experience at the college level. I'm trusting Elmore more to get a yard or block for a RB to get a yard than a kid we've seen nothing but highlight tapes for.

Hough has been playing against kids half his size and now he's playing against 5th and 6th year senior LBs & DLs. We really need to lower the expectations. He's not even on campus yet!

I like Elmore but he brings nothing to the table with the ball in his hands to date and as a FB blocking in short yardage situations we haven’t done squat. I realize that the sort yardage situation is not all his fault. He seems like he should stay as a blocking TE to me.

I don’t mind him as a offset fullback. Towards end of last year he was blowing people up. He could block play side or backside for trap or counter. If our three receivers do well and our oline he will blow up a lot of backers which helps tucker tremendously

Love Elmore but if we need a yard or two our QB can’t get, it’s gotta be Howard imo. Howard was that freshman who had never played against an ACC body and still racked up 7 touchdowns for our 10-3 team.

Elmores a great blocker, but he’s never been great with the ball in his hands. He’s a lead the way or move the pile guy.

But you like us in 10 personnel? Our receivers blocking has been worse the last couple years. We havent been able to run perimeter screens because of it. The staff was very frustrated with Nykeim blocking along with others.
The poor WR blocking in recent years has been a frustration for me as well and I've brought it up on Dino's show. He felt our Receivers were strong enough to "dominate" blocking the perimeter.
A huge part of blocking is effort and pride. I believe a big issue has been lack of accountability from the staff-If guys would get benched for putting forth little effort into a block, it would likely get their attention...and I'm willing to take any possible short-term loss of ability with the backup for the establishment of a long-term culture of demanding excellence there. Hope it's different w/ the new WR coach.

The poor WR blocking in recent years has been a frustration for me as well and I've brought it up on Dino's show. He felt our Receivers were strong enough to "dominate" blocking the perimeter.
A huge part of blocking is effort and pride. I believe a big issue has been lack of accountability from the staff-If guys would get benched for putting forth little effort into a block, it would likely get their attention...and I'm willing to take any possible short-term loss of ability with the backup for the establishment of a long-term culture of demanding excellence there. Hope it's different w/ the new WR coach.
Perfectly said. Didnt think of that.

Listen, I'm all for "the best man plays". But it probably makes more sense to use RBs that have blocking experience at the college level. I'm trusting Elmore more to get a yard or block for a RB to get a yard than a kid we've seen nothing but highlight tapes for.

Hough has been playing against kids half his size and now he's playing against 5th and 6th year senior LBs & DLs. We really need to lower the expectations. He's not even on campus yet!

Agree. Other than Duce, who I think will need to play right away, we may be able to redshirt the whole group right? It will pay off down the road.

great post

Love Elmore but if we need a yard or two our QB can’t get, it’s gotta be Howard imo. Howard was that freshman who had never played against an ACC body and still racked up 7 touchdowns for our 10-3 team.

Elmores a great blocker, but he’s never been great with the ball in his hands. He’s a lead the way or move the pile guy.
The idea of Jorts and Jarveon in short yardage situations is pretty interesting.

Yes Howard for sure and exactly, Ive never been a fan of Elmore carrying ball.

Remember when Elmore doinked two straight wide open swing passes?

Stuff like that is both awesome and not awesome at the same time.
lol. Yes, he's not a natural catcher of the ball. True FB. When he runs routes its normally a dummy route. They are just pulling a LB out so they can throw in the vacated area.

Last edited:
Thoughts on Isaiah Jones? Seems to be getting a bunch of exposure on whats been rationed to the football social media accounts
I don't know numbers. Is Jones #3 in the vid?

Taking it that Jarveon is 28, then. If that is indeed him, he looks completely different

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom