Spring Football starts March 30 | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Spring Football starts March 30

15 of 19 guys have at least three years of eligibility left? That’s incredible
Now that Pat Davis is confirmed that’s two who are out of eligibility after this season

I just like having a piece like Hackett or Benson in the game over Elmore because we become less predictable. You know that for the 1-2 times a year they pass it to Elmore, he's not going anywhere. Hackett was very... dare I say Multiple?
Elmore doesnt need to be a receiving threat lol. You have to use your personnel based on what they provide for you. We have a lot of different sets that Elmore is not in. He's in sets where they hope gives them advantages to run the ball. Sometimes he's used to mass protect on throwiing downs. They are not looking to throw the ball to him in those specific sets. We also have sets with a traditional TE. (He is not used often as a traditional TE). We have 12 personnel but we dont use that much (mostly in the redzone). These formations are used to manipulate the defense more than anything. Defenses have to put personnel on the field that matches ours. Believe me, I wish they would throw the ball to the TE more. I think they will this year. I just dont think the TE position is ever going to be a featured position with Dino.

Opening things up last year was hard to do when the oline was a mash unit
We played 2020 with 3 / 4 starters from the 2019 campaign. O-Line play was a BAD look that can't be explained away by injuries.

Well, if Queely is remotely close to Alec Lemon, and Taj gets just a bit better, our offense is suddenly looking a lot better. We have to use the TEs, though. Use the whole offense. Use 2 RB formations once in a while. Our offensive play calling seemed terrible last year. I know so many guys were hurt, but that's when you have to open up the playbook, that's when you need trickery, or change of pace.
I agree. We have to get the TE's more involved in the pass game. Im not a fan of two RB sets. You lose a blocker and you add another run defender in the box. Play calling was bad. Im hoping it had a lot to do with the limitations we had.

I agree. We have to get the TE's more involved in the pass game. Im not a fan of two RB sets. You lose a blocker and you add another run defender in the box. Play calling was bad. Im hoping it had a lot to do with the limitations we had.

You don't lose a blocker by having 2 backs. You use a big one and a small fast one. You can keep the big guy in to pick up the pass rush if he's not carrying the ball.

With 2 backs, you can run counters, misdirection. You don't telegraph where the ball is going.

You can hold a back in pass protection, but still have the other run a wheel route out of the backfield as a relief valve for the QB to throw a swing pass to if the options downfield are covered.

Missed that one. When did we find that out?

You don't lose a blocker by having 2 backs. You use a big one and a small fast one. You can keep the big guy in to pick up the pass rush if he's not carrying the ball.

With 2 backs, you can run counters, misdirection. You don't telegraph where the ball is going.

You can hold a back in pass protection, but still have the other run a wheel route out of the backfield as a relief valve for the QB to throw a swing pass to if the options downfield are covered.
You didnt mention FB. lol. You said running backs. Having two running backs blocking for each other in a spread set doesnt work as well.

I would like them to use the TE more; but I would like them to use the middle of the field more. That would make the defense defend the whole field.

I would like them to use the TE more; but I would like them to use the middle of the field more. That would make the defense defend the whole field.
Agree

I like the concierge service you now offer!

We played 2020 with 3 / 4 starters from the 2019 campaign. O-Line play was a BAD look that can't be explained away by injuries.
Why did you cherry pick one line from my comment? Look at what I wrote and what I responded to. I was commenting on play calling and the lack of creativity in the offense. Do you honestly not think all of those things contributed?

Why did you cherry pick one line from my comment? Look at what I wrote and what I responded to. I was commenting on play calling and the lack of creativity in the offense. Do you honestly not think all of those things contributed?
Because I didn't disagree with the rest of it.

It all contributed. Tell me, which part of your body allows you to live, your heart, your lungs, your brain, your stomach...?
Why are you getting so hostile? My statement was not personal.

You didnt mention FB. lol. You said running backs. Having two running backs blocking for each other in a spread set doesnt work as well.

You don't run that formation the whole game. It's a different look that makes you far less predictable, in my opinion. In fact, it's a better variant on having that big lineman as our blocking back, because you know exactly where the play is going when he's in there.

I think this is overblown some. The primary issues the last two years has been OL play which leads to no running game. If we could get the running game attacking the middle of the field with relative success, our whole O would be way way more effective.

2018 - ED’s ability to scramble up the middle helped a lot. Opens up a lot of other things

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom