Spring Football starts March 30 | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Spring Football starts March 30

Just went back and re-watched. Williams’ story is episode 6. He did age out. The aging out was eye opening. Poor kid spent a lot of his childhood growing up homeless, moving around from aunts and cousins. Grew up rough on the streets. A teacher took him under her wing. The community organization that helps their athletes helped him academically to make sure he’d be eligible. Oregon, Indiana, Syracuse were mentioned. Impression was the kid by far was the area’s best player and it was interesting to see them talk NFL ability with JaVonte. Need to keep in mind how many pros they’ve produced so maybe they know something.

He only played the first 3 games which would explain the 8 catches. (278 yards (34.8 avg.) and two touchdowns)

He seems grounded, well spoken, head on his shoulders and humble. Far an away my new favorite player I hope he’s successful and makes it.
It’s was a great documentary of a place I never knew existed. Doesn’t seem like those kids have it easy at all and they do produce a massive amount of talent.

Dino runs a tight ship, its not because he thinks its gonna win him more games. Its just his style. Just the way he does things. He will be this way no matter how many games he wins. A lot of coaches are like that. Giving fans something to talk about on forums is not going to win him more games. Does it increase our excitement? yes but true SU supporters will be there no matter what. Has SU ticket sales really drop during Dino's tenure?
I'm a fishes and loaves guy and love updating my spreadsheet. New rosters are extremely exciting to me. All of the moving parts of recruiting, transfers, walk ons, etc for a 105 man squad is one of the reasons I follow Cuse football more closely than Cuse hoops.

I know I'm in the extreme minority here, but no roster doesn't let me follow and consume Syracuse football the way I want to, and that is a nuisance to me.

Last edited:
I'm a fishes and loaves guy and love updating my spreadsheet. New rosters are extremely exciting to me. All of the moving parts of recruiting, transfers, walk ons, etc for a 105 man squad is one of the reasons I follow Cuse football more closely than Cuse hoops.

I know I'm in the extreme minority here, but no roster doesn't let me follow and consume Syracuse football the way I want to, and that is a nuisance to me.
I don’t need justification on why fans need it. Lol. I want to do all the things you do. Conversations leading up to the season is just as exciting me. I’m just giving the coaches perspective.

Last edited:
I don’t need justification on why fans need it. Lol. I want to do all the things you do. Conversations leading up the the season is just as exciting me. I’m just giving the coaches perspective.
Oh, I don't have a problem with what you said at all, and I understand it.

I just saw an opportunity to pile on with a point that has been bothering me for a while.

Dino runs a tight ship, its not because he thinks its gonna win him more games. Its just his style. Just the way he does things. He will be this way no matter how many games he wins. A lot of coaches are like that. Giving fans something to talk about on forums is not going to win him more games. Does it increase our excitement? yes but true SU supporters will be there no matter what. Has SU ticket sales really drop during Dino's tenure?
More excitement helps with on-the-fence fans. More excitement and more fans help recruiting. Recruiting helps winning. I'm not asking for a ton, but is it too much to give a few 15 minute interviews a week and let us know some guys that are looking good and some real highlights that isn't mostly filled with stretching? Our peer schools are doing much more.

Just went back and re-watched. Williams’ story is episode 6. He did age out. The aging out was eye opening. Poor kid spent a lot of his childhood growing up homeless, moving around from aunts and cousins. Grew up rough on the streets. A teacher took him under her wing. The community organization that helps their athletes helped him academically to make sure he’d be eligible. Oregon, Indiana, Syracuse were mentioned. Impression was the kid by far was the area’s best player and it was interesting to see them talk NFL ability with JaVonte. Need to keep in mind how many pros they’ve produced so maybe they know something.

He only played the first 3 games which would explain the 8 catches. (278 yards (34.8 avg.) and two touchdowns)

He seems grounded, well spoken, head on his shoulders and humble. Far an away my new favorite player I hope he’s successful and makes it.
Thanks for the report. I've actually been to Belle Glade. I rented a house in Port Salerno in 2016 and took a drive west to see both Pakokee and Belle Glade. I wanted to experience it. There is a toxic lake nearby that is alarming. I got a sandwich at a fast food place in Belle Glade and the counter lady asked for my name so she could call out when the sandwich was ready. I replied "Roger", and she said "That was my son's name." She told me he was murdered.

It appears Florida has invested a lot of money in the area. I remember seeing some photos from the Smithsonian showing life there during the depression. That's the reason for my trip there.

More excitement helps with on-the-fence fans. More excitement and more fans help recruiting. Recruiting helps winning. I'm not asking for a ton, but is it too much to give a few 15 minute interviews a week and let us know some guys that are looking good and some real highlights that isn't mostly filled with stretching? Our peer schools are doing much more.
I agree, some interviews and highlights won't hurt. Winning helps on the fence fans more than anything. All the recruiting buzz and hype doesnt matter as much without the W's. Dino is in a position where he needs to win now or he can be gone.

Last edited:
On that 1v1, the ball was thrown behind the Wr but Duce seems to be making plays overall.

Yup. I saw #20 flash and wondered who it was. Luckily someone in his camp commented and tagged him so easy to figure out. A young guy already making plays...

JaVonte Williams seems to be featured in every single video. Today’s video also looks like a scrimmage

I picked up on that too.

Dude looks the part.

(But, I thought that about Ed Hendrix too, and here we are)

Really need for one (or several) of the WR crew to push for time along with Taj & Queeley.

I picked up on that too.

Dude looks the part.

(But, I thought that about Ed Hendrix too, and here we are)

Really need for one (or several) of the WR crew to push for time along with Taj & Queeley.

Deuce was matched up on Williams in today’s video. If Duce is getting some first team reps it makes me wonder if Williams is too. How about Williams and Keeley on the outside with Harris on the inside? Or maybe they’re both working in the slot?

Deuce was matched up on Williams in today’s video. If Duce is getting some first team reps it makes me wonder if Williams is too. How about Williams and Keeley on the outside with Harris on the inside? Or maybe they’re both working in the slot?
Those were just 1v1’s but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Williams in the mix. Alford has been shown as well but we can’t get too caught up with these short clips.

The last two classes we have really pulled in some plus talent at WR. Would love nothing more than to see Williams and Alford showing up in the games this year. Great upside and both are big guys with speed.

Thanks for the report. I've actually been to Belle Glade. I rented a house in Port Salerno in 2016 and took a drive west to see both Pakokee and Belle Glade. I wanted to experience it. There is a toxic lake nearby that is alarming. I got a sandwich at a fast food place in Belle Glade and the counter lady asked for my name so she could call out when the sandwich was ready. I replied "Roger", and she said "That was my son's name." She told me he was murdered.

It appears Florida has invested a lot of money in the area. I remember seeing some photos from the Smithsonian showing life there during the depression. That's the reason for my trip there.
For those who want to understand more about the area Javonte grew up in, it is a tough, tough environment. I watched this ESPN documentary on Muck City a few years back. Same area. The Muck Bowl is like the Super Bowl in the Okeechobee region of FL. Belle Glade is a factory, I like this kid and his grit.

For those who want to understand more about the area Javonte grew up in, it is a tough, tough environment. I watched this ESPN documentary on Muck City a few years back. Same area. The Muck Bowl is like the Super Bowl in the Okeechobee region of FL. Belle Glade is a factory, I like this kid and his grit.

Same town Jatarie Washington and Latarie Kinsler hail from. These kids are tough, and they will embody Syracuse football.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom