Spring Football starts March 30 | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Spring Football starts March 30

Mannnn im so dang excited for this season, the casual fan may not understand the nuisances that plagued us last year but i and ik dino do. He tackled every single weak spot this offseason
I'm concerned with the loss of some skill players. I'm confident Schmidt will improve the line.

Hackett was the #1 blocking TE in the country, for the 1st 3rd? Of the season last year. PFF grade.(I didn't check grades after that) Not my opinion. PFF. Jawhar was the fastest kid west of the Mississippi, yet he chose to leave, as well.

Assets we can't afford to lose.

Mannnn im so dang excited for this season, the casual fan may not understand the nuisances that plagued us last year but i and ik dino do. He tackled every single weak spot this offseason
Yeah Dino really did a great job shoring things up.

I'm concerned with the loss of some skill players. I'm confident Schmidt will improve the line.

Hackett was the #1 blocking TE in the country, for the 1st 3rd? Of the season last year. PFF grade.(I didn't check grades after that) Not my opinion. PFF. Jawhar was the fastest kid west of the Mississippi, yet he chose to leave, as well.

I’d rather have those guys than not, but it doesn’t spell doom. Lots and lots of guys decided to stay and they’re driven.

Going to be fun

If we hadn't seen Tucker break out last year, I'd be more worried about losing Jordan. Jordan could've been a difference maker, especially in a swiss army knife role, but it sounds like he didn't want that, so it would mean either he or Tucker would be off the field when the other was on. That makes the loss hurt less. If the oline gets shored up, losing Hackett doesn't hurt. We still have Rhino who can block and Benson is a better receiving threat.

Hopefully in the future we don't have to rely on a TE to block.

Im not as concerned about Hackett. Rhino is the better blocker and when we want to use receiving TE's in the redzone we have Benson and 6'5 and 6'7 targets to throw to.

Last edited:
My concern is that we had a receiving threat, and a RB that excels in space, yet didn't utilize them that way.
We had an OC that had no spring and an interrupted preseason along with true freshman QB's playing a bunch. The offense seemed to change during the season. Hopefully, with a full normal off season, we'll see a more cohesive unit with more versatility.

My concern is that we had a receiving threat, and a RB that excels in space, yet didn't utilize them that way.

tough to utilize a pass catching TE when it's constant jailbreak. I think when the offense has been good it's utilized it's weapons just fine.

(busting you a little bit here but Jordan was not in any way shape or form the fastest kid east of the Mississippi, I'm sure you were joking, but his one run will live in infamy making him the greatest player that never was.)

TEs aren't often featured

Sterlin GIlbert Tight End Numbers
NAME GAMES CATCHES YARDS TD

2012 Eastern Illinois
Eric Luhrsen 12 2 16 0
Sam Hendricks 8 37 306 2

2013 Eastern Illinois

2014 Bowling Green
Chris Pohlman 14 2 11 0

2015 Tulsa
Mandel Dixon 11 4 29 0

2016 Texas
Caleb Bluiett 11 2 11 0
Andrew Beck 12 4 82 2

2017 South Florida
Elkanah Dillon 12 11 119 0
Mitchell Wilcox 11 17 158 2

2018 South Florida
Jacob Mathis 9 3 15 0
Mitchell Wilcox 12 43 540 2

2019 McNeese State
Dontay Hargrove 5 2 -1 0
Jacob Logan 12 3 32 0
Louis Conerly 12 1

2020 Cuse
Hackett 10 Rec
Benson 6 Rec

5 seasons where TEs accounted for 6 rec or less.
*per Nunes

Last edited:
Per his Nike Sparq combine, I believe he was.(west of the Mississippi) Add in the entire country, and there were 3 kids faster.
But that was for what, one class year and only participants of the combine?
Now that he is in college, that label probably doesn’t hold true.

Regardless, I think we would all rather have him still here.

But that was for what, one class year and only participants of the combine?
Now that he is in college, that label probably doesn’t hold true.

Regardless, I think we would all rather have him still here.
For sure. We often lament about not being able to get guys with elite qualities. He was one of those guys. It was frustrating seeing how he, and the TEs was used, this year. (Have to stick with the system, etc. Etc.)

2019, he ran for more yards on half as many carries. 7yds per attempt. The 1st word in his Cuse bio, is Explosive.

we didn’t do much of anything we’ll last year due to OL injuries/play and a pandemic

I wouldn’t draw many conclusions

TEs aren't often featured

Sterlin GIlbert Tight End Numbers
NAME GAMES CATCHES YARDS TD

2012 Eastern Illinois
Eric Luhrsen 12 2 16 0
Sam Hendricks 8 37 306 2

2013 Eastern Illinois

2014 Bowling Green
Chris Pohlman 14 2 11 0

2015 Tulsa
Mandel Dixon 11 4 29 0

2016 Texas
Caleb Bluiett 11 2 11 0
Andrew Beck 12 4 82 2

2017 South Florida
Elkanah Dillon 12 11 119 0
Mitchell Wilcox 11 17 158 2

2018 South Florida
Jacob Mathis 9 3 15 0
Mitchell Wilcox 12 43 540 2

2019 McNeese State
Dontay Hargrove 5 2 -1 0
Jacob Logan 12 3 32 0
Louis Conerly 12 1

2020 Cuse
Hackett 10 Rec
Benson 6 Rec

5 seasons where TEs accounted for 6 rec or less.
*per Nunes
If we get blocking and our running game gets going - you won’t miss the TE

For sure. We often lament about not being able to get guys with elite qualities. He was one of those guys. It was frustrating seeing how he, and the TEs was used, this year. (Have to stick with the system, etc. Etc.)

2019, he ran for more yards on half as many carries. 7yds per attempt. The 1st word in his Cuse bio, is Explosive.
He gone, time to move past it

Jawhar had to take a beating in this offense and didn't have the body type to do it over the course of a season. Really sorry to see him go, but this offense wants to run up the middle and not give up.

They'll probably start running off-tackle only after success between the tackles. Schmidt is meant for this run game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom