Spruill Will Play | Syracusefan.com

Spruill Will Play

Here's my take. First, I don't know what actually went on...just what the papers say. Nor do I know who Marrone spoke to (e.g. police, etc.). But I bet there was some dialogue to determine the facts and exact nature of the events. Second, I think both Marrone and Boeheim feel, for better or worse, that the players get tried unfairly in the media, not in accordance to the way a non-athlete or even non-student would get treated and therefore treat some of the media backlash as "time served". I think they use that to justify less further punitive treatment. With Marrone it's more of a guess because he is so tight-lipped but Boeheim is not so much...his responses to the questions about MCW illustrates it.

Hey, newspapers aren't selling like they used to. Nothing like some glam reporting to bump up the numbers...

Just get ready for the onslaught of the holier-than-though crowd who think at the very least our guys should be tarred and feathered on Marshall Street.

Just get ready for the onslaught of the holier-than-though crowd who think at the very least our guys should be tarred and feathered on Marshall Street.
you know what I don't think so, with MCW it was cut and dry, he stole, his signed somethinng with LT admitting as such, theres pics, etc..; this one theres so much leeway toward the unknown, with he said/he said. Don't think you'll see the same level of hand wringing. Plus DM has come down hard in other areas on others (unlike JB), the fact that he isn't on this one suggest to me theres a lot of nuance and more to the story than we know.

In other words people can't have opinions? IMO, IF Spruill laid a hand on a cop, he should not be playing and shame on Marrone. Now if the multiple media reports are all wrong and he never touched the cop, and it was nothing more than some drunk kids, then fine. That's an opinion and not being holier than thou.

In other words people can't have opinions? IMO, IF Spruill laid a hand on a cop, he should not be playing and shame on Marrone. Now if the multiple media reports are all wrong and he never touched the cop, and it was nothing more than some drunk kids, then fine. That's an opinion and not being holier than thou.

A little touchy, are we?;) All I meant is that there is a certain element out there who are quick to try, convict, and punish without all the facts being known. Let's see how this plays out in the court of law before we jump on that bandwagon. Can we not exclude the possibility that this may end up being a tempest in a teapot?

@BrentAxeMedia: Just announced by SU Athletics.Marquis Spruill "will not play a significant portion of the Pinstripe Bowl" per head coach Doug Marrone.
@BrentAxeMedia: This is following a "completed assessment of the facts regarding the December incident involving juniors Marquis Spruill and Steven Rene."

Sounds like Spruill will miss a half or more.

Official Release:
"Syracuse University football coach Doug Marrone today announced that following a completed assessment of the facts regarding the December incident involving juniors Marquis Spruill and Steven Rene, he has taken team disciplinary action, including that Spruill will not play a significant portion of the upcoming bowl game, and Rene will not play a significant portion of the next game in which is he medically cleared to participate."

i have talked to one of the officers that was on the scene and am friends with a few others and they all say the players acted like out of control animals and went after the cops who were just doing their jobs. Marrone should have come down on these players like he has with all the other trouble makers. shame on marrone and shame on the university for allowing these kids to get away with laying their hands on cops who trying to do their jobs.

i have talked to one of the officers that was on the scene and am friends with a few others and they all say the players acted like out of control animals and went after the cops who were just doing their jobs. Marrone should have come down on these players like he has with all the other trouble makers. shame on marrone and shame on the university for allowing these kids to get away with laying their hands on cops who trying to do their jobs.

Who said they were getting away with anything? Please elaborate.

well they are playing. marrone has come down harder for less. the players need to understand they are not above the law and or team rules, and if touching a police officer is ok then im not sure i want to support a program that condones these types of actions.

well they are playing. marrone has come down harder for less. the players need to understand they are not above the law and or team rules, and if touching a police officer is ok then im not sure i want to support a program that condones these types of actions.
Why do you think an appropriate suspension would be based on what you know after talking to your police friends? What makes you think these players think they're above the law?

Official Release:
"Syracuse University football coach Doug Marrone today announced that following a completed assessment of the facts regarding the December incident involving juniors Marquis Spruill and Steven Rene, he has taken team disciplinary action, including that Spruill will not play a significant portion of the upcoming bowl game, and Rene will not play a significant portion of the next game in which is he medically cleared to participate."
He won't play the half of the game SU has the ball

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom