St. John's fires Mike Anderson / hires Rick Pitino | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

St. John's fires Mike Anderson / hires Rick Pitino

He does?

Why’d he come up to practice to help Boeheim with the 2-2-1 press about 4-5 years ago?
Wow, I didn’t realize that. This certainly proves that he views Syracuse as Paradise.

Siena outscored Iona 37-17 in the 2nd half to win by 17. Carmen Maciarello gets no publicity as the head coach at Siena. In his first three years there, he had two firsts and a 3rd in the MAAC. And has his team in first again. Iona looked real flat in the 2nd half. Hopefully no one is still on the Pitino to Cuse bandwagon.
A lot of emotion for Siena last night, which I previously didn't mention, but they held it together very well.

I went last night and last season because I’m a Pitino fan and it is cool to get good seats and watch his team up close. I’ll keep going when he’s at Georgetown next season because it’s a fun rivalry and the Times Union Center is a great place to watch hoops.

Had a nice sirloin at Barnsider but avoid the calamari. Dipping sauce was way to mayo-y.

And you have certainly proved that he hates Syracuse.
I don’t know how old you are but he’s said it himself on a number of interviews back when he coached at Providence. So I guess I dont need to prove it. But you can love whoever you want. Let freedom ring!

I don’t know how old you are but he’s said it himself on a number of interviews back when he coached at Providence. So I guess I dont need to prove it. But you can love whoever you want. Let freedom ring!
Alright man.

Close Relative of mine is very connected to the Siena program. They have a stud sophomore guard from Fl on the roster. Florida state coaches stopped him after Siena beat FSU by 18 in a tournament earlier this year and offered him a spot for next year. Right out in the open, programs are not even hiding it anymore.
I hope the kid openly let them know how big an NIL bag it would take.

Could you provide a link for that? I am old and I was at Syracuse when he was a ass't coach. I don't remember him ever saying he hated Syracuse. I'm not saying he didn't, just don't remember that at all. Plus, he went 0-5 against us while at P.C. Maybe he said it in jest. I would like to see the context if it was said.

Could you provide a link for that? I am old and I was at Syracuse when he was a ass't coach. I don't remember him ever saying he hated Syracuse. I'm not saying he didn't, just don't remember that at all. Plus, he went 0-5 against us while at P.C. Maybe he said it in jest. I would like to see the context if it was said.
I feel like he’s always been respectful towards Syracuse when he was at Kentucky and Louisville. Friends with Boeheim, coached here, coached against us in league play for many years, met in the final 4 twice. Always felt like a respectful rivalry to me.

And he was absolutely one of my most “hated” opposing coaches - because he was always out on the court, which really irks me. And also because his Louisville teams beat us often, and did a lot of hacking. Not a fan of him at all in terms of rooting for him, but obviously respect him as a coach who can both recruit and pull out games.

No, I don’t. But what I’ll tell you is I rooted for Rick Pitino when he left for,I believe ,Boston U. I followed his career path and saw an interview before a Cuse- Providence game where he brought up the story we all heard about the Boeheim’s and Pitino’s on vacation together on the beach and all telling their dream place to live and proceeded to chastise Boeheim for choosing Syracuse. I believe the quote was something like “ Who in their right mind would live in Syracuse who didn’t have to?” Years later he said something similar and added how people in Syracuse never appreciated JB and didn’t deserve to have him.
That’s my only reason for despising him so I’m obviously not making it up.

No, I don’t. But what I’ll tell you is I rooted for Rick Pitino when he left for,I believe ,Boston U. I followed his career path and saw an interview before a Cuse- Providence game where he brought up the story we all heard about the Boeheim’s and Pitino’s on vacation together on the beach and all telling their dream place to live and proceeded to chastise Boeheim for choosing Syracuse. I believe the quote was something like “ Who in their right mind would live in Syracuse who didn’t have to?” Years later he said something similar and added how people in Syracuse never appreciated JB and didn’t deserve to have him.

I recall hearing that story as the one where Boeheim said that Hawaii is just “Syracuse in July”, and it being told in a humorous way, not a serious attack on the city.

Anyway, I thought we were talking about the school/b-ball program with the “he hates Syracuse” thing.

I recall hearing that story as the one where Boeheim said that Hawaii is just “Syracuse in July”, and it being told in a humorous way, not a serious attack on the city.

Anyway, I thought we were talking about the school/b-ball program with the “he hates Syracuse” thing.
Look, he doesn’t want to be here.
I’m out.

Siena outscored Iona 37-17 in the 2nd half to win by 17. Carmen Maciarello gets no publicity as the head coach at Siena. In his first three years there, he had two firsts and a 3rd in the MAAC. And has his team in first again. Iona looked real flat in the 2nd half. Hopefully no one is still on the Pitino to Cuse bandwagon.
I'm guessing Siena didn't play zone. Or Slick Rick would have his team prepared to carve it up.

I remember all of that and never took it to mean that he hated Syracuse. Let's be fair, not many people would choose to live in Syracuse if they were picking their dream place to live. I took it that Pitino was having fun with what Jb said. Second, I took the deserve statement as Pitino sticking up for his friend when people and we are both old enough to remember, really went after JB in town. Pitino has reasons to dislike him. I don't think those were anywhere near the top of the list. It seems to me just being a bit sensitive. I'm pretty sure Rick enjoyed his time on the hill.

Look, he’d probably rather coach Syracuse than Iona.

It’s almost surely not going to matter anyway though.
He’s gotten calls, hes at Iona because he:

1) doesn’t want to bother with big time basketball anymore or,

2) he’s waiting for a certain team to come calling and it isn’t Syracuse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors